Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2002 4:50:22 AM EDT
I have had the 36" version for a little over 1 year now.  No problems up to this point.  Last night my wife and I were watching TV for about an hour and suddenly the screen got a red tint to it for about 1 minute, then the TV shut itself off.  The standby light was flashing.  I turned it back on again and the picture still had a reddish tint and it again shut itself off.  This morning I had it on for about an hour and everything was fine until the screen got red and the TV shut off again.  It almost seems like it is overheating, causing the screen to get red, and then shutting off.  Can anyone provide any insights?  When you pay over $2,000 for a freakin TV, it better last longer than 1 year!  I don't want to ship that sucker back to Sony for repair either (it weighs like 200 lbs).  Thanks for any information or experiences anyone has

AR_Shorty
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:56:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 36" XBR too.
(It is an AWESOME tv!)

Here is a site that will give you some assistance:

[url]members.accessus.net/~090/awh/sonyadj.html[/url]

There is info on how to get into the "service mode" , etc...

Good Luck !
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:25:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't feel bad, I bought a Sony big screen and can't get a on/off switch for it, they said they quit making parts for their sets after seven years,(almost to the day of course)  $3,500.  A simple push on/push off switch. They told me I would have to call around and find a cannibalized one.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:42:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:20:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Paul seven years is not a long time for a simple switch. Another words, put duck tape over the hole or hide the TV when company comes over.

Maybe I should have thought ahead and bought  five extra switches.

I have Magnavox and RCA TVs that are 10/12 years old and have had no problems with their switches. It's a cheap design on a part that should be considered mechanical and possibly needing to be replaced at some point.
I spent extra money to get a nice wood grain cabinet, all for naught.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#6]
GoatBoy I was polite and not at all upset with the lady who was helping me. I never take my frustrations out on a worker, unless they are just pissy or smart-assed with me right from the get-go.

The set finally went out right before Christmas. We have decided on a large screen HD Mitsubishi this time, with extra switches and remotes. No need for a extended warrantee, they won't have the parts anyway. HEHEHE  

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Who's better than Sony if you don't mind me asking?
View Quote

Panasonic!!!

Was a Sony loyalist all my life until I actually bought a Panasonic. Boy!!!! talk about a big difference. Try to compare a similarly priced Sony and Panasonic and maybe you will answer your own question. [:\]  [:\]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I've always been a fan of Sony video.  Still have a 25 XBR that's 19 years old this year.  I've replaced power transitors twice and the flyback once.  But the picture is still too strong to give up on yet.

Every time I see an agency setting up a "cost no object" video setup, they use Sony monitors.  From DoD to NASA, from the Smithsonian to the Hirshorne gallery, they all use Sony video displays.  That tells me more than any marketing gimmick, and why I've got my eye on the new 36XBR WEGA.

AR_Shorty, your failure sound like my power transitor failure the first time.  Except mine was a blue tint (guess it depends on the channel involved) but eventually it fried.  Be careful, it can affect other components, so get a tech to check it soon.  It's an at-home repair if you use a Sony-certified tech (at least mine were on my set).  If you bought it with a credit card, some cards used to double the factory warranty if you used their card.  Might be worth asking about if that's the case.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#10]
[red]What is XBR?.....[/red]Shorty,I got one of those Sony Wega's around Xmas and was ignorant about the effect of [blue]"unshielded[/blue] SurrSound speakers" set to close.Messed up the screen big time.Luckily the repair tech that came to service it was cool.He said he had one too and has had to service his own around once a year.He probally got the origional model with the bugs not worked out yet.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the 36" XBR. No problems yet, except bleedover from the S-video into the tuner on certain high band channels. I would complain but it is easier just to turn off the DVD player when I'm not using it. We use lots of Sony Pro monitors at work (I develop digital video/audio products and set top boxes), so I'm hooked on the quality of the picture.

Sound like you have a bad chip or module, and need to have it serviced.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#12]
[url]http://www.proton-usa.com/dtv/dtv.html[/url]

Your welcome,

Dave S
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:25:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I like Sony's video stuff best, but last time around I bought a JVC 36". Been great so far (2 years).
One of the all time best single products Sony ever made (and still makes a version of) is the MDR-V6 stereo headphones. Having done some sound engineering work back in the `80's, I got turned on to them by another engineer. Since then I've seen them EVERYWHERE!. TV crews, recording studios, and even on the sound board at the last Pink Floyd concert I went to. I'm sure others here have had a set of these.....They are the best sounding, most accurate headphones ever made, IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:06:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the advice guys.  I will call the only Sony certified repair place in my general area tomorrow and see what they say.  

If they can come to the house and do on-site repairs that would be great.  That son-of-a-gun is heavier than hell to move around!

AR_Shorty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top