Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2002 5:30:59 PM EDT
Might affect me and I'm good with leadership skillz, poor on grammar.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#1]
That would be good as they just told us today that come the 31st they are closing my office. Maybe its a chance to get out of NY to Free America. Anyway we had planned to visit GA at the end of this month to see friends and kick back for a week or two -- thats out. I have a nother job I could take but it involves 7 months of foreign travel a year--bummer. At least they gave us notice so we can look around for a few weeks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I ain't got me none job for like 6 months now. Can I be moderator?
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I suggested this after I got laid off and nobody gave a shit. I think it's a very good idea.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#4]
How 'bout a [b]Get Laid / No Worky-No Nooky[/b]
networking forum?
[;D]

Talk about incentive.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:58:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I for one, simply would call it the "Early Retirement Club"

That's what I'm telling everyone, that I'm retired - been tired, now I'm retired [:)]

Seriously, at my age, I think it's about time to retire - I'm only a few years early - That way I can make big bucks as a consultant... oh, wait, that's what I [b]was[/b]  - Ok, an [i]independant[/i] consultant, yeah, that's the ticket [:D]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:08:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is just a little humor to add, it's funny if you haven't seen it. [url]http://www.oddtodd.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:46:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I got laid off TWICE in 2001. Am currently still unemployed but I am getting some interest in my resume by recruiters.

Oh well..at least I get to spend some "quality time" with my computer.

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:49:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey laid-off-geeks:

If anyone has computer networking / NT skills and needs a job in the NJ/NY area, drop me an e-mail.

I'm doing some consulting work for a company who is looking to hire a full-time employee to manage a medium size lan for a government entity.

(you have to agree to submit to a background check and be fingerprinted though...  --  it's an LEO agency)
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:40:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:10:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If anyone has computer networking / NT skills
View Quote

Yes...Yes...I'm listening!!!

and needs a job in the NJ/NY area
View Quote

DOH!

You lost me...
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:22:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Any jobs for laid off software engineers with 15 years experience? I'm still buying toys like I was working, and the wife is starting to get grumpy. he he
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Lot's of jobs available, just not in the field you used to be employed in. The world has moved on, get over it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I need a journeyman lineman (or woman). 2 actually.

13.8 and 69 kV systems.

Here in the north west corner of the lower penninsula of Michigan.

Gods country and firearm laws ain't too bad.  CCW and Class III depending on where you live.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Gods country and firearm laws ain't too bad.  CCW and Class III depending on where you live.
View Quote

Class III My ass...[flame]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:12:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Class III My ass...[flame]
View Quote

If you want that to be the target, fine by me.  I know three close friends that have em.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Might affect me and I'm good with leadership skillz, poor on grammar.
View Quote

Yes,but you don't have good taste and you thought my name was Jesus......in another thread![:P]

......so NO LAID OFF FORUM FOR YOU!!!!!

View Quote

HEHEHE, I said "JESUS" as in Hey-Suess.  But you still ugly, lol.  hehehehe!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Why would we want to network with others who are also out of work?  Maybe we should start an "I'm a gun nut who is unemployed and I'm relying on the gun nut members of this board to get me a job." forum.  It would be better to network with those who ARE gainfully employed rather than those who are not.

BTW I'm a recent college grad with several years of work experiance in drafting/CAD and a graduate certificate in CIS who WANTS TO WORK.  Anyone...Anyone...

[b][red][i]Libertas an Mortis![/b][/red][/i]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

The only Class III that are legal in michigan are C&R's like the Sten Gun and Thompson.

Michigan has a screwy definition of "handgun" which includes andy firearm with an OAL of less than 30".

The Handgun Purchase Permit system is one of the most intrusive registration schemes ever. Requires at least two trips to the cop shop and a Notary public.

Once you get the handgun you need a range membership card, hunting license, or CCW permit just to transport it from your home to the range.

Petty misdemeanor and ever traffic violations can prevent you from getting a CCW under michigans new improved "shall issue" law.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Gee, maybe I better go tell my friend who has a CETME and MAC10, both full auto that.

Also you don't need no stinking range club card to transport a pistol, epecially if you have a CCW.

What part of Michigan are you living in?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:37:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I am still in recovery mode (company burned me out) after I volunteered to be laid off (i.e I QUIT). I am not sure if I am going to go back into the IT field, still trying to figure out what I want to do. Damn I feel like I am 16 again.

One good side effect of being over worked and not having a social life for 2 years, I saved a nice amount of money so I can be a bum for awhile.

The only thing I want when I go back to work, is to work at a place that will allow me to carry to work. I know that this is a tall order, but one can dream. Maybe a job like armed security? Hmmmm...
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 5:27:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Guzzler,

I hear what you are saying.

I myself are looking into other things besides IT. I'm a feeling a little burnt out and sick of corporate life.

Only problem is finding another field that pays what I make now...
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 5:41:37 AM EDT
[#23]
I've been looking for a job since last May when I graduated from Computer Engineering.  If I don't find one soon I might get a job as a dishwasher... [whacko]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:44:39 PM EDT
[#24]
M4A3,

Yep, that is my delema. I was making good money, hell my bosses almost doubled my pay to keep me (I WAS good btw). But I finally understand the phrase "Money can't buy happiness".

Either I get back on the horse and back into the IT field. Or I take a major pay cut and try to find something that I like. But the scary thing, I used to love my job. I love doing computer work, I loved the puzzles, I loved knowing things that other's don't, I loved teaching those who didn't know. Hell I still spend all day in front of my computer, reading the trade sites, learning more and more.

But if I have to go back to a work enviroment that I left, I would rather take the pay cut.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Guzzler and M4A3 - I'm right there - got burned out, company finally after I damn near blew a gasket trying to let them know I was near the edge, they pulled me back into the office for a week down time,let me schedule my vacation (a bit more R&R) and started me on another, less stressful project, and then showed me the door... claimed they couldn't figure out how to phase me back into the company (I was on site for nearly 9 months)

Today I hear that the A** that was my boss got the axe (he might have taken it volutarily - which will really piss me off)

And I'm DA*M good, also.

If I could find backing and the right location, I would really think about going into the resaraunt business (that's how fried I am [:)])
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:31:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I thought that anyone who even knows how to connect to the Internet has already been laid off, and therefore this is ALREADY a network of laid-off people...
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:36:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If I could find backing and the right location, I would really think about going into the resaraunt business (that's how fried I am [:)])
View Quote

I hear you. My company closed 8 subsidiary locations last year and cut 33% of the work force. When that happened, I sold my house for fear of being "stuck" in case I needed to relocate.

Since then, I've not been able to find a job elsewhere and continue to look. Still with the same company but the future here looks grim.
Bought a bank forclosure property and working on that and hope to make an entry into this type of real estate investments. Hope to be doing this full-time within 2 years.

Fingers crossed!
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:09:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Wow, this topic really resonates.  Got laid off almost 2 months ago.  I hate to admit it, but this beats the hell out of work.  But need to get working again soon because of bills.

I'm an ace programmer (C/C++ or anything else).  Pretty good with an AR-15, too.  Anybody looking for this skill set?  [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top