Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2009 5:30:43 PM EDT
I just found a bottle of it from last year.  The force protection doc gave me the 'script before a deployment that I ended up not going on (f'in work center wouldn't let me go ).

Anyways, I've had it since about Oct last year, and I was wondering how long this stuff keeps.  I figure keeping it in case of a rainy day couldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#1]
it should be ok for quite a while.  The only reason they put an expiration date on it to begin with is for the FDA.  I used to work in a hospital pharmacy and there was a drug called Suprol......we got new in and there was a small sticker over the original expiration date (from factory) that added 3 more years onto what was originally printed on the package.
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 5:44:17 PM EDT
[#2]
That's exactly what I wanted to hear.  It'll be staying in SHTF supplies for awhile then.
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#3]
In unit dose blisters or a bottle?
Blisters or an original factory sealed bottle will last longer than a 'scrip bottle.

Either way it will be effective beyond the expiration date but will eventually lose potency.
Figure a year or more after expiration.  The .gov has tons of Cipro stored for a bio emergency.  So much that they cannot rotate through it.  I'm certain they plan on dispensing "outdated" product if the need were to arise.

I would hang on to it for a while longer.

YMMV

Link Posted: 3/15/2009 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#4]
CDC studies showed it 100% after 10 years!
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
CDC studies showed it 100% after 10 years!

Link?
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Cipro is vile, doc prescribed it to me once and it made me horribly ill.  It also damages your ligaments/tendons.
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cipro is vile, doc prescribed it to me once and it made me horribly ill.  It also damages your ligaments/tendons.

I know, I'm not planning on taking it unles I REALLY REALLY need it, and there's no pharmacy avaliable (SHTF, etc)
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep meds cool, dry & dark (not frozen)

.mil has the SLEP (Shelf Life Extension Program) and tests potency after the expiration date.

Off the shelf is good for 3 years. SLEP testing gives Cipro another 10 IF stored properly.

http://www.usamma.army.mil/documents/SLEPInfoPaper-Mar2005.pdf

ETA: Meds have differing lives and must be tested individually.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top