Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2002 1:12:17 PM EDT
I just read this article
[url]http://www.adn.com/alaska/story/748439p-801091c.html[/url]
Kristen Rand, legislative director for the Violence Policy Center in Washington, said former military weapons turn up in crimes "in fairly significant amounts."

Some weapons can also be easily converted to fully automatic machine guns. "The M-1 carbines in particular are easy to convert to full auto," she said.
View Quote

does anybody remember an M-1 Carbine converted and used in the commission of a crime?  I cant think of one.  Seems if it turned up in "fairly significant amounts" I would be able to remember at least one.

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Ban all legislative directors for the Violence Policy Center.

For the children.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Garheadjir....

Stole the thought process RIGHT OUTTA my head! I was thinking the same thing... Since when is a BG from down the block going to go get an M1 Carb and go through the hassle of making it full auto when he can go meet pablo the arms dealer and get a hacked Mak90?

Anyway.... So much of the VPC education on firearms... ahahahah
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I was thinking the SAME thing garheadjr.

Just remember the old line -

"Never let the facts stand in teh way of your agenda."

this has been rendered an art form by the antis.

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#5]
So far as convenience store hold-ups I believe the M-1 Carbine, converted, is actually second to the Stoner 63, unconverted.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Isn't publishing False (or unsubstantiated)Information a crime of some kind?  
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 1:38:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

SURELY you don't refer to this board !!

Facts and substantiated claims "must' be avoided.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Well...just you wait...those bad guys are going to buy M-1 carbines, convert then to full auto, and with those zillion round Beta-C mags...just watch out!

Who the F*ck is VPC trying to fool!
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Nope, I was referring to the defamation of the M 1 carbine name.  Well, I guess you can't libel a gun, but surely the manufacturers, distributors, and other associated parties would be adversely affected by this irresponsible reporting.  Harm to one's professional reputation is slander Per Se.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 1:45:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you mean "the" grammar Nazi?
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you mean "the" grammar Nazi?
View Quote

The kool thing about BEING the grammar Nazi is that YOU make the rules.

So I'll spell "the" any durn way I wish.

Salute your Grammar Nazi NOW, Redman.

[}:D]

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Little Joe used a M1 carbine chopped in the novel "Dog Day Afternoon"

Actually I can imagine most of the carbines used in crimes are the aftermarket Universals.

One police officer I saw in Puerto Vallarta carried a sawed off M-1 Carbine with a fifteen round magazine.

Looked as inaccurate as hell.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well...just you wait...those bad guys are going to buy M-1 carbines, convert then to full auto, and with those zillion round Beta-C mags...just watch out!

Who the F*ck is VPC trying to fool!
View Quote

They are very successfully fooling all of those mommy types and SNAGS ([b]S[/b]ensitive [b]New[/b] [b]A[/b]ge [b]G[/b]uys) who don't know quat about guns and don't care to know. Their only response when threatened is to quickly begin writing checks to those who promise to make their world safer for them, and , of course, for their Children. Unfortunately, these types have us out-numbered and are far quicker with the checkwriting pen that you will ever be with your weapon. Come to thinl of it, maybe we should all be so quick with the pen, too.

Write a few checks to the right people, write a few "letters to the editor" explaining this foolishness and making the media who propogate these falseheoods prove their sources, write responses to polls and just generally look for any way you can to get the message in front of people. thats what VPC is doing, and unfortunately, they are doing it pretty well. After all, even you are reading (and spreading) their drivel. Why aren't we spreading "our" message in "their" forums? How many of you responded to the "what do you think of this article?" section that accompanied the article that started this topic?
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
"How many of you responded to the "what do you think of this article?" section that accompanied the article that started this topic?"

Thanks for the tip, I completely missed it as I'm so use to these anti-Bill of Rights web sites that don't allow feedback. The Anchorage Daily News has got an ear full from me today.
View Quote

Doing my little bit.

Andrew Benton
In Response To Effort to confiscate ex-military arms fails
E-Mail: [email protected]
Tuesday January 8, 2002 at 14:27

Military weapons are popular among gun-owners because they are generally proven to be accurate, rugged, and reliable. They are often less expensive than similar civilian weapons, and have a certain appeal to collectors of military equipment from specific periods. The VPC would have you believe that convenience stores all over are being robbed by gunmen who purchased weapons legally from the federal government. Ri-i-i-ght...
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell, if it was, Komrade & Billary Klinton would have been locked up a long time ago.
:D
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I know some of you don't like W, but I found this particularly absurd.  Just like the anti's, shift the blame.

Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., is chairman of the Senate committee. However, his spokeswoman, Tara Andringa, told the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner's Washington bureau that the demilitarization language was not Levin's idea; it came from the Bush administration's Department of Defense
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I posted a reply to this topic on their forum, and was promptly told that comments to this topic was "Not Allowed". What is up with that?  They requested feedback to their article, and then would not allow it to be posted. Some "Forum" of discussion! BIGJim223
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Little Joe used a M1 carbine chopped in the novel "Dog Day Afternoon"
View Quote

I just watched the movie last week.  Al Pacino had an intact M1 and Sal had some sort of SMG.

[img]http://www.columbia.edu/cu/libraries/events/sw25/gifs/dogthum.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#21]
The Violence Policy Center is notorious for lying.  Check out this article:

[url]http://foxnews.com/story/0,2933,42050,00.html[/url]

The second part, interest-group ingenuity, is illustrated by the recent efforts by gun control groups to capitalize on the terrorist attacks of Sept 11. The first round was a flop, as Tom Diaz of the Violence Policy Center tried to bolster an ongoing campaign against high-powered rifles with bogus claims that the Barrett Arms Company had sold some of its .50-caliber single-shot rifles to Usama bin Laden. Not many fell for this one, which gave off a pronounced odor of fish, and The Washington Post even reported, accurately, that the rifles in question had actually been sold to the United States government.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

does anybody remember an M-1 Carbine converted and used in the commission of a crime?  
View Quote

Due to it's compact size the M1 carbine was very popular with the Black panther party, SLA, and other radical left wing terrorist groups.

In the fall/winter of 1993 two Riverside county sheriff's deputies were murdered by a Veteran armed with an M1 Carbine. They were ambushed at night, from 75 to 150 yards away. The gunmans wife later told investigator her husband was trained as a "sniper" in the military.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#23]
If you make a M-1 FA it's not a M-1,it's an M-2.

If your gon'a lie,try to SOund like you know what you are talking about.........
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Oh boy, this means the colectors value of my M-1 is going to double, right?

I would really love for some dumb b*tch from VPC to demonstrate how easy it is to convert one to full auto. I would like to know where she got the parts and the information to do this. [:)]

I thought that 50 cal guns with bayo lugs and tele stocks were the ones used most often in crimes...?
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#25]
You know, I've read where you can actually attach a bayonet on some of those dreadful weapons!

Eric The(DoWeReally[u]Want[/u]ToEncourage'Drive-ByBayonettings',Hmmmm?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I remember a few years ago some guy in Pasadena CAlif. we beserk and killed 1 person and injure a bunch of other using an M1 Carbine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:29:00 AM EDT
[#27]
[img]http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial/whitman/college.jpg[/img]

One of the rifles that Charles Whitman had on him when he was sniping at people from a University of Texas Tower was an M1 Carbine.

He didn't kill anyone with the M1 Carbine though. The weapon that he used to kill a LOT of people with was a scoped Remington Model 7 chambered in 260 Remington.

Whitman made some rather spectacular shots with that rifle.

An autopsy of Whitman (like the Autopsy of the George Hennard who shot up Luby's cafeteria) showed that he had a brain tumor. It is theorized that the tumor was located in such an area of the brain which caused the person to fly into homicidal rages.

Whitman lasted for 96 minutes. He killed 16 people, wounded 30.

For some details on Charles Whitman and his acts see:

[url]http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial/whitman/[/url]

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:53:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Damn, you beat me to it.

Can anyone tell me where Charles Whitman learned how to shoot?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:00:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Both Charles Whitman and Lee Harvey Oswald learned how to shoot in the US Marine Corps. Oswald was known to be a very poor shot often missing the target paper altogether.
Whitman qualified as Expert with an M1 Carbine.
He also did quite a bit of deer hunting with his Remington.
It was with his Bolt Action Deer Rifle that he displayed some rather impressive shooting skills. During much of the time, while Whitman was shooting he was also under rifle fire by both Police and Civilians.

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:42:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
[One of the rifles that Charles Whitman had on him when he was sniping at people from a University of Texas Tower was an M1 Carbine.

He didn't kill anyone with the M1 Carbine though. The weapon that he used to kill a LOT of people with was a scoped Remington Model 7 chambered in 260 Remington.

For some details on Charles Whitman and his acts see:

[url]http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial/whitman/[/url]

View Quote

It was a 6MM Remington, 260 is a recent commercial cartrige, was a 6.5-08 for a while, but IIRC it still came out as a wildcat well after this happened.  But this happened before my time.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#32]
The Libs be ambidextrious.  (They can also speak out of both sides of their mounths.)

If only one M-1 Carbine (converted) was found to have been used in a crime the cry would simply change to "One is too many !"
And the media would back them up.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You know, I've read where you can actually attach a bayonet on some of those dreadful weapons!

Eric The(DoWeReally[u]Want[/u]ToEncourage'Drive-ByBayonettings',Hmmmm?)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Well see how well the '94 assault weapons ban worked.  I haven't heard of one bayoneting since it was inacted.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#34]
OK the [b]M1[/b] has have been used in a few crimes over the years.

But i don't recall hearing of any crimes committed with an [b]M2[/b] AKA a legaly/ilegaly converted M1
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#35]
For every crime committed with an M-1 there were probably 1,000,000 committed with .22 caliber rifles and pistols.  We need to outlaw all those evil 10-22's.

I'm almost certain that baseball bats are used more frequently than M-1s in violent crimes.  No more baseball bats!

Come to think of it, I'll bet there have been more armed robberies committed with sling-shots than M-1s.  Sling-shots are evil!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:02:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Has anyone noticed that this would not cover the aftermarket M1 Garands and carbines since they were never owned by the Federal government.  You know, the ones being made by Century and IAI.  This shows their complete lack of knowledge and their hypocrisy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#38]
OK, forgot about Whittman, but I should have been more specific.  I still havent heard of any CONVERTED M-1's being used.  Also brings up another interesting question.  If an M-1 is converted, does it actually make it an M-2?  Operationaly the same, but was still sold as an M-1.  Same as if I converted my AR, would it then legaly be considered an M-16?  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Gangster Benny "Bugsey" Segal was wacked in Beverly Hills by hit men using Full Auto M1 (M2?) Carbines.. This was back in 1948 or '49
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 5:35:02 AM EDT
[#40]
The M2 Carbine is just about as close to useless as you can get in an automatic weapon. Without the muzzle compensator, which attaches to the front of the barrel via a wing nut and clamp, the M2 muzzle climbs all over the place. And the automatic function is prone to hanging after a short burst.

I believe there are only seven parts that swap out of the M1 to convert it to a M2 automatic and the stock is trimmed to make room for the selector switch.

It a stupid and pointless thing to do to a perfectly good M1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top