Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2002 9:43:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Thats weird cuz the same thing happened to me the other night. My girlfriend woke me up at 1:30am and said she heard a noise coming from my kitchen. I didn't handle it as well as Paul did though. I just grabbed my pistol (also a 92FS), chambered a round, walked into my kitchen in my boxers while scratching my nuts, turned on the light, nothing, and then went back to bed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:53:54 AM EDT
[#2]
WOW!
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Paul,
Good to hear it wasn't anything dangerous.

Marinegrunt,
ROFLMAO
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Paul -

You know the old saying....

"Train like you fight...."

That, and start wearing Depends to bed at nite.[:D]

I've had it happen too....scares the Shiite Muslim out of ya.

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Paul -

You know the old saying....

"Train like you fight...."

That, and start wearing Depends to bed at nite.[:D]

I've had it happen too....scares the Shiite Muslim out of ya.

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#6]
This raises an important issue.

All my training says stay with the family, announce you have a weapon, and call the cops.  With the new little one, my wife and I recently revised out plan to include crossing the narrow hallway to retrieve the newborn.

Stay put, don't clear the house...all sounds good during daylight hours.

But at night, when you certainly heard SOMETHING, but then hear nothing, do you hit the panic button and call 911?  

I have a kickass alarm system, I'm PRETTY sure nobody could get in without tripping it, but a definate bang followed by silence makes me wonder what to do.

Comments?  
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Last year, we had a pretty big limb fall off one of our century-old oaks and hit our roof hard enough to send my loaded Beta-C mag (in the case thank goodness!) tumbling out of the nook above our closet.  The bang-bump woke me up from a deep sleep and before my head was clear enough to think, I was on my feet, my 45 in my hand and my flashlight in the other.
It was, at least, a valuable training exercise...
[:D]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This raises an important issue.

..., but a definate bang followed by silence makes me wonder what to do.

Comments?  
View Quote

Secure the premises.

Bring the fight to them.

Change the bedsheets. [BD]

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Just don't forget to clear behind the shower curtain...

Those shower radios hide back there and simply wait to pounce on their victims.

All joking aside, Sounds about like my routine, except that I usually scare myself spitless - and I don't forget to pull the shower door/curtain back [;)] (I couldn't resist)

Last night I heard a bunch of noises that really had me wide awake at about 2:30 as well.  So I opened the drawer beneath the bed (holds whichever 9mm I happen to favor at the moment - Taurus 92 or Walther P-38) for access just in case.  Noises stopped - turns out it was my daughter upstairs.  I always listen real hard for a few seconds (that's hard to do since I'm deaf in one ear) to find where the noise is coming from...

I gotta get me one of those X10 thingys tho...what I really want is a way to listen to each room in the house without being obvious - or using a remote controlled wireless intercom system
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just don't forget to clear behind the shower curtain...
View Quote

I use a clear shower curtain for just that reason.  Bonus if your wife is a hottie!
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Some weird shit happened to me too.  Part of it was my fault!
I went to bed on Sunday, around 10:00 pm. I heard a crash noise in the basement, around 11:00pm.

Grabbed the S & W Model 10 fron under the bed.  Looked around the house.  checked the windows, etc. It was a cover on the furance.  It fell off. I was checking the filter, and did not put the cover on right.  
c-rock
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#14]
The first night in my house, I heard an awful metallic crash. Since I had just moved, stuff was still piled up in boxes and stuff, but it was loud and metallic enough that I grabed my 45 (shotgun was elsewhere) and racked the slide. Ker-.....  Locked up tight as a drum. Had a cheap pro mag in my Para P-12, and the slide now wouldn't go back or forward. The noise was disturbing and had any number of plausible explanations aside from a burglar, but with my pistol locked up so tight, THAT was scary. I had already been thinking about selling it and buying something for which reliable magazines were inexpensive - and I did so shortly thereafter. (I now love my Commander, and will never ever go back to a fatbody.)

The fact that there are so many innocuous things that could go bump in the night is reason enough for me to go look, rather than call the cops and sit paralyzed in fear in my bedroom waiting for the sheriff to make it all the way across the county to tell me that it's ok to go to sleep, the shower radio is in custody and won't be bothering me again that evening. (Or bed rails in my case.)
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:33:21 AM EDT
[#15]
We've all had similar experiences, I'm sure.

One night I too heard a very loud crash with the sound of breaking glass coming from near the hallway. I literally jumped out of bed, grabbed the USP45F and starting clearing rooms, with the lights off. Turned out a shelf in the bathroom fell off the wall and shattered some bottles of old cologne I was meaning to throw away anyway (leftovers from my single days). But it scared the crap out of me and I couldn't sleep, so I poored a beer and watched TV for a while.

Another time I heard a clawing sound at the back door. Turned out to be a skunk so I didn't bother it.

The one that really pissed me off was the time I was home alone late one night, heard some noise in the back yard, and found some guy in a white tee shirt looking around in my bushes. I couldn't tell who it was, so I grabbed the shotgun, opened the back door very slowly, looked around to see if anyone else was around, walked up to the guy and shoved the muzzle into the back of his head. Turned out to be a friend of my brother's looking for some tools he had left on the patio a few days before. Scared the crap out of him, that's for sure. Maybe next time he'll call or perhaps try knocking on the front door first.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#17]
On New Years day at 0400 i heard a crash followed by a muffled thump. Ended up being a car crash into a light pole on the road behind my house.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Paul, sorry your dog was no help.  I have a secret code-word that gets my dog to check the whole house double time... are you ready for it?

"Squirrel".

She knows what the real meaning of that word is, just say it once, and she'll do ten laps around the house and then she stands upright on her two hind legs at the back door waiting to check the back yard. [:D]

[IMG]http://users2.ev1.net/~texason/Txdiv~D01.jpg[/IMG]

[I]I hope the board-code nazis are satisfied with my performance on this reply[/I]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I did that on a road trip one time.  I was splitting a motel room with one of them, and he wandered in around 2am after going dancing, waking me up.

Fortunately, the trip was to Canada, so he just almost pissed his pants as I tried to grab my Glock, found out it wasn't where it should be, and swung around looking completely freaked out. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#21]
If I hear noise at night there is no way I'm going to clear any room.  I'm grabbing my 45 from the nightstand and go to the closet to retrive the 12G.  Then my dogs (all 3) will have to earn their meal and vet bill by clearing the house.  In the meantime my wife and I get behind the bed with both guns pointed at the bedroom door [:D]    
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
...so I grabbed the shotgun, opened the back door very slowly, looked around to see if anyone else was around, walked up to the guy and shoved the muzzle into the back of his head.
View Quote

Ya know, the gun doesn't actually need to make physical contact with the target to do damage. [;)]

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Having the ability to light the house prior to leaving the bedroom gave who ever might be in the house notice that someone was home and that it was now time to leave. It also destroys their night vision as the lights come up everywhere but the master bedroom.
View Quote

Uhhh...Night Vision??  What kind of burglers do you have where you live?  LMAO!
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#25]
My dog, at the slightest noise in the house at night, goes absolutely BONKERS! He's half Rott, half Shep, 120lbs, and sounds evil when he barks and growls. He doesn't seem to care about noises outside the house too much - I think he's just glad to be inside. An intruder hearing him would either crap his pants and run away, or stay and try to take out the dog. By then I should be well awake and ready to respond. I think I'll keep him.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I have almost the same thing happen to me when I first moved to TX. It was Mar and they were having a bad thunderstorm. Having lived in CA all my life, I had no clue thunder can be so loud. Anyways I woke up around 2-3 in the morning to what sounded like a 12ga shotgun. I pop up from bed, check if I had any blood coming out of me, and without a thought grab my mini mag lite and Glock. Now you gotta picture a naked man, gut hanging out among other things, clearing his one bedroom apt. Window shades open. The neighbors must've loved that,  whomever was awake to see it. No wonder no one wants to talk to me in my complex [:D]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#28]
One night, the ceiling florescent light cover fell off. Another foot to the left and the pomme frites taste tester would have been history.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...so I grabbed the shotgun, opened the back door very slowly, looked around to see if anyone else was around, walked up to the guy and shoved the muzzle into the back of his head.
View Quote

Ya know, the gun doesn't actually need to make physical contact with the target to do damage. [;)]

View Quote

True, but I felt better leaving a little welt on his 'noggin. he he
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#30]
One night a picture frame I had right above my head on the wall came crashing down in the middle of the night and landed inches from my head.  Damn loudest thing I ever heard outside of an airshow besides the lunchlady knocking over a cart full of dishes onto the floor.  Scared the $#!T out of me.  It was up for 3 years and never fell until that one night!

Having a big house really sucks especially if your brother and sister have so many damn friends and a lot of them look like $#!Tbags (but most of them are very very frienldy people).  I just hate it when I think no one's home then I come downstairs one morning some hippie is going through my fridge.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I am fortunate to live way out in country bordering NFS land so burglers are not much of a concern. None the less occasionally a lost soul will drive down my road trying to find their way - always in the middle of the night, when it's raining or snowing of course. I have three dogs. One with uncanny hearing, a Lab with a great nose and a Rottie with a vicious bark/snarl who hates men (was abused by her previous owner). During winter months when the house is closed up if Boots hears something he will perk up. If he thinks there is something to check out he goes in search with the Rottie in tow. He never sits still if there is something outside making even the slightest noise - mostly critters. The Lab won't be bothered unless he barks. The sign there is something that doesn't belong. During nicer weather when I leave windows and doors open I have seen the Lab jump up out of sound sleep, because something wafted through her nostrils, and go charging outside barking for all she is worth. With her compatriots in close pursuit. If at least two of the dogs don't react I don't worry about.

Last year one day I hung a 5 gal metal can from a couple trees about 25 yards out from my back deck with a Shoot N See bullseye on it. Using a 22 I shot kind of smiley face on it. Well that night after it got dark (full moon), one of the dogs goes out into the yard and all of a sudden I hear it going crazy barking and snarling and jumping against the fence. The other two dogs go charging out doing the same. I think, "Holy Shit there's either a bear or a real prowler!". My safe was open and the handiest thing was my FAL. I run out on the deck, shouldering the rifle and sweeping the fence looking for what/who the dogs are going nuts about. When I saw, I almost dropped my FAL from laughing so hard. They were barking at the can which in the darkness, half hidden in the trees looked like a the face of a dark skinned person with glowing eyes and teeth. Took me about 15 minutes to calm them down.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#33]
This is a great thread. I've had my share of wierd crashes, animals, people at the door, backyard bogeymen, etc. But this is my favorite:

Middle of night, sound asleep in bed; I mean completely, totally asleep.  And the next instant I am wide awake and my mind is filled with one thing: [b][i]a bat![/b][/i]  (the flying kind)  Somehow a bat had gotten into our bedroom and was flying around the room!  To this day I don't know how it got there.

The next five minutes would have been simply hilarious home video, with my wife screeching under the covers, and me in my underwear flapping a small blanket in the air trying to "herd" the little beastie to a window where I could capture it or let it out.  The action was a comical combination of badminton (with a live birdie) and bullfighting.  The little feller finally got pooped, and I trapped him in the curtains.  He lived to tell the tale, but never found his way into the house again!

What I find amazing about this silly event is that I never had a moment of doubt about the identity of the tiny bit of sound that I'd heard [i]while asleep![/i]  How this can be, I don't know.  I've heard other guys tell similar stories.  The human brain is an amazing thing.

This business of going from sleep to 100mph adrenaline rush & attack mode is more than a function of fear.  I think its a guy thing.  Almost every guy seems to instinctively go into defend-the-home mode immediately, as clear-headed and brave as he can possibly be.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:14:09 PM EDT
[#34]
I've only had two "bump in the night" instances.
1)About four in the morning I hear a loud BANG out in the front room.  I instantly crack one bleary eye open and wonder where the hell I am.  After a couple more BANGS and some unintelligable speech I spring out of bed and crash into the wall and fall on my ass.  Then I pop one eye open again and wonder what the hell happened.  After a minute when some blood drained into my brain I kept hearing noises in the front room.  I grabbed my pre-ban, custom walnut fitted GAMO .177 caliber Match air pistol (405 fps of screaming pain) and wander out in the front room,  once I'm out there I realize it's some drunks down on the street level 4 floors below me and I left the front window open.  They are carousing and banging around in the dumpster. I shot a few pellets from the death ray at the dumpster lid till they left.  Love that GAMO!

2)about 4am in the morning I hear a bang out in the front yard.  Then I hear the front gate squeak open.  Luckily I'm already awake taking a leak and I grab my shotgun and fling the front door open just in time to meet one very surprised and very wide eyed paper delivery who had signed us up for the paper a couple days before.  We both chuckled about it but me being the 6'5" 320lb'er holding the gun,  mine was a little easier coming.  His chuckle sounded a little strained.  Incidentally, he's never been noisy delivering the paper again!

crash.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Middle of night, sound asleep in bed; I mean completely, totally asleep.  And the next instant I am wide awake and my mind is filled with one thing:

What I find amazing about this silly event is that I never had a moment of doubt about the identity of the tiny bit of sound that I'd heard [i]while asleep![/i]  How this can be, I don't know.  I've heard other guys tell similar stories.  The human brain is an amazing thing.

This business of going from sleep to 100mph adrenaline rush & attack mode is more than a function of fear.  I think its a guy thing.  Almost every guy seems to instinctively go into defend-the-home mode immediately, as clear-headed and brave as he can possibly be.
View Quote

I agree. I came wide awake one night, at about 2 am, when my daughter was about 4 or 5, and let out an absolutely blood curdling scream.  I swear, it couldn't have been done any better in a Karloff movie - and my daughter has a scream that will break your eardrums at ten paces.

I came out of the waterbed (my wife was working nights), and was through my bedroom door before my brain had actually kicked in.  Unfortunately, once it did it directed the smallest two toes on my left foot into the door jam to my daughters room - as I'm travelling at full-tilt-boogie (I never thought I could move so fast [:)])

I know I broke the little toe, I think I broke the next one over.

After I calmed her down, and got her back to sleep (about a half hour to 40 minutes) I went into the bathroom and threw up in to the tub from the pain.

The odd part was that until I actually acknowledged that I had whacked the foot pretty hard, I didn't feel sick at all - just a bad toe stub.  But once the 'emergency' was over, and I started to relax from the scare she had given me, I started to feel what I did to the foot, I couldn't hold it any longer.  I think I threw up for about 20 minutes...

Of course, I went around the house and checked it all out, but nothing was there... just a bad dream...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top