Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2009 1:34:06 PM EDT
I'm sure we have a member or two here from the V.I who may be able to answer some questions I have regarding gun laws there.

From what I can tell MGs, SBRs, DDs and AOWs are legal there. If this is correct will your CLEO sign off on them and are there many if any Class III dealers?

I know CCW is may issue and a few U.S states such as MO honor their permits. How hard is it to get a permit and do they honor any other states permits?

How many if any gun shops and ranges are located there?

Are there any other restrictions such as waiting periods, permits, magazine capacity, etc?

I'm only asking because the wife unit may have a chance to take a job there and we are strongly considering it (I hate the cold with a passion and if I never saw another snow flake again I would die a happy man). Gun laws really are not a deal breaker for me since coming from Illinois it can't get much worse just curious.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag because I'm interested.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag for info.

Interesting question.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 1:43:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag because I doubt it
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been there several times... from what I can remember my Texas CHL is valid there but something sticks in my head about no long arms.  If you drive around St. John there are signs around the National Park that
prohibit hunting.  So yea, there are some guns down there.

St. John had a very violent slave revolt back in the 1700s so culturally firearms are probably not widespread.

R
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Tag because I doubt it

Doubt what? I could swear I have seen a V.I next to a few members locations. The little info I could find online suggested the laws there were not too terrible.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#6]
VIRGIN ISLANDS
V.I. CODE

Title 23. Internal Security and Public Order

Chapter 5. Control of Firearms and Ammunition

451. Definitions. As used in this chapter, unless the context clearly requires otherwise
(a) “Ammunition” means any bullet, cartridge, projectile, buckshot, or any load placed or which may be placed in a firearm to be discharged.
(b) “Commissioner” means the Police Commissioner of the Virgin Islands.
(c) “Department” means the U.S. Virgin Islands Police Department (V.I.P.D.)
(d) “Firearm” means any device by whatever name known, capable of discharging ammunition by means of gas generated from an explosive composition, including any air, gas, or spring gun or any “B.B.” pistols or “B.B.” funs that have been adapted or modified to discharge projectiles as a firearm.
(e) “Crime of Violence” means the crime of, or the attempt to commit, murder in any degree, voluntary manslaughter, rape, arson, mayhem, kidnapping, assault in the first degree, assault in the second degree, assault in the third degree, robbery, burglary, unlawful entry or larceny.
(f) “Dealer in firearms and/or ammunition” mans any person engaged in the business of selling firearms and/or ammunition, for a profit or gain.
(g) “Gunsmith” means any person who engages in the business of repairing, altering, cleaning, polishing, engraving, bluing, or performing any mechanical operation on any firearm on an individual order basis.

452. Applicability of chapter. No person shall have, possess, bear, transport or carry a firearm within the Virgin Islands, or engage in the business of dealer in firearms and/or ammunition or the business of gunsmithing, except in compliance with the provisions of this chapter.

453. Persons who may lawfully carry firearms.
(a) The following persons, in discharge of their official duties, and in accordance with and subject to the conditions and restrictions imposed by the laws and regulations applicable to their conduct, may lawfully have, possess, bear, transport and carry firearms in the Virgin Islands.
(1) Members of the Armed Forces of the United States or of the organized reserves.
(2) Officers and employees of the United States duly authorized by Federal law to carry firearms.
(3) Persons employed in fulfilling defense contracts with the United States Government or agencies thereof where possession or use of firearms is necessary under the provisions of such contracts.
(4) Members of the police force of the Virgin Islands, marshals, or other duly authorized peace officers.
(5) Penitentiary and jail wardens and guards.
(b) The persons authorized by subsection (a) of this section lawfully to have, possess, bear, transport and carry firearms shall obtain such weapons and ammunition therefor only through the duly authorized officers or heads of their respective services or departments.

454. Persons who may be licensed to carry firearms. A firearm may be lawfully had, possessed, borne, transported or carried in the Virgin Islands by the following persons, provided a license for such purpose has been issued by the Commissioner in accordance with the provisions of this chapter:
(1) An officer or employee of the Government of the Virgin Islands in cases where such license, in the judgment of the Commissioner, should be issued to such officer or employee by reason of the duties of his position;
(2) An agent, messenger or other employee of a common carrier, bank or business firm, whose duties require him to protect money, valuables or other property in the discharge of his duties; And provided, That the employer of such person shall have justified to the satisfaction of the Commissioner the need for the issuance of the license;
(3) A person having a bona fide residence or place of business with the Virgin Islands, who established to the satisfaction of the Commissioner that he has good reason to fear death or great injury to his person or property, or who establishes any other proper reason for carrying a firearm, and the circumstances of the case, established by affidavit of the applicant and of at least two credible persons, demonstrate the need for such a license;
(4) A person licensed to and actively engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing or dealing in firearms in the Virgin Islands, or the agents or representatives of any such person, having necessity to hand or use firearms in the usual or ordinary course of business;
(5) With respect to a rifle or a shotgun a person possessing a valid and current Virgin Islands hunting license.

455. Application for license; form; oath; fees.
(a) Every application for a license to have and possess a firearm shall be made under oath and forms which the Commissioner shall prepare for such purpose. For the purposes of the enforcement of the provisions of this chapter, the applicant shall furnish all information as may be required of him by the Commissioner.
(b) The initial fee for a license under section 454 of this chapter shall be $50.00. The license may be renewed every three years for a fee of $100.00
(c) Upon renewal of a license to have and possess a firearm, the receipt from the U.S. Virgin Islands Police Department (V.I.P.D.) for the renewal fee will serve as a temporary license until the official license can be provided to the licensee by the Commissioner.
(d) The Commissioner shall ensure that the renewal license is presented to the licensee within forty-five (45) days of receipt of payment for the renewal fee.
(e) Notwithstanding the provisions of this section, no person shall be charged with the possession of an unlicensed firearm if the subject weapon had been previously licensed and said license has expired not more than ninety (90) days prior to arrest; Provided, however, That this subsection shall not apply to persons who possess, bear, transport, carry or have under their control in any vehicle, any fire-arm during the commission or attempted commission of a crime of violence, as defined in sub-section (d) of section 2253, Title 14, Virgin Islands Code.

456. Qualifications of applicant.
(a) The Commissioner shall not issue a license for firearms under section 454 of this chapter until all the circumstances and facts set forth in the application have been investigated, and the records of the Department and other available records have been examined, and unless such investigation establishes to the satisfaction of the Commissioner:
(1) the truth of such circumstances and facts;
(2) that the applicant is a resident of the Virgin Islands, including with respect to shotguns or rifles a minor not under 16 years of age, or a nonresident who holds a current and valid license to hunt in the Virgin Islands, or an alien bonded under applicable Federal and Virgin Islands statutes for employment with a person, firm, corporation or other business entity duly licensed in the Virgin Islands to carry on the business of providing security, guard, patrol and private detective services; Provided, however, That in the case of any such bonded alien the license shall be issued to the business entity by which he is employed;
(3) that the applicant is a person of good moral character;
(4) that the applicant’s fingerprints have been duly taken and/or checked with the records of the Department or other appropriate sources; and
(5) that no proper reason exists to deny such application.

457. Grounds for refusing to issue license.
(a) The Commissioner shall not issue a license to have and possess a firearm to any person convicted in or outside the Virgin Islands of any crime of violence; or of any violation of a narcotic or “harmful drug” law; nor to any person who is mentally incompetent, or a habitual drunkard or narcotic or drug addict; nor to any person convicted for the violation of the provisions of this chapter; nor to any person who for justifiable reasons is deemed to be an improper person by the Commissioner……

460. Reciprocal recognition of out-of-state licenses. Unless otherwise prohibited by any state or federal law, a license to possess or to carry firearms, issued by any competent authority of any state or territory of the United States and in accordance with the same or similar requirements as set forth in the preceding sections pertaining to the applicant’s eligibility, and the establishment of his reputation through fingerprints, shall be recognized as valid within the Virgin Islands and shall allow the holder thereof to exercise all of the privileges in connection therewith, while said licensee is a visitor or transient resident herein.
Any marshal, sheriff, constable, police or peace officer, of any state or territory of the United States, whose duty it is to serve process and make arrests, may, while travelling through or in the Virgin Islands on official business, carry such weapons or equipment as has been authorized by his appointing authority.

461. License to sell firearms and/or ammunition; gunsmiths; report of transactions; private transfer sales to minors or aliens.
(a) No person may engage in the business of dealer in firearms and/or ammunition or as a gunsmith without holding a license therefor issued by the Commissioner of Licensing and Consumer Affairs upon favorable report of the Police Commissioner.
(b) Each transaction referring to the importation, or to the sale of firearms and ammunition between dealers, shall be reported to the Commissioner on forms which he shall provide, and the name, domicile, place of business, and the number of the license of the vendor and vendee, as well as the quantities and descriptions of the firearms or ammunition which are the subject of each transaction, shall be set forth therein, as required by the Commissioner.
(c) Any person, not otherwise engaged in the business of a dealer in firearms and/or ammunition, may transfer a firearm to another by sale, gift, exchange or otherwise only upon prior reporting to the Commissioner of the details of the proposed transaction. The Commissioner shall thereupon determine the eligibility of the proposed transferee for a license to possess firearms, and shall make such further determination as may be necessary in the circumstances.
(d) No person licensed or otherwise, may sell or furnish firearms or ammunition to a minor, except that of a shotgun or rifle of such type or caliber as the Commissioner may prescribe or ammunition therefor, may be sold or furnished by a licensed dealer to a minor who displays a hunting or sporting license issued him in accordance with the laws of the Virgin Islands, and who further displays written consent of his parent, guardian, or other responsible person acting in their absence and interest, in which such sale or delivery has been authorized.

469. Report by carrier, warehouseman or depositary; delivery to consignee. Every water, air or overland carrier, and every warehouseman or depositary who receives firearms or ammunitions for delivery in the Virgin Islands shall as soon as possible notify such fact and the name and address of the consignee to the Commissioner and shall not deliver said merchandise to such consignee until he is authorized to do so by the Commissioner. Failure to discharge any duty herein imposed shall be punishable by a fine of not more than two thousand (2,000) dollars, or by imprisonment in jail for not more than one (1) year, or both.

470. Report of firearms purchased outside or brought into the Virgin Islands; fees; penalty.
(a) Any person other than a licensed dealer, who purchases or otherwise obtains any firearm or ammunition from any source within or outside the Virgin Islands shall report such fact in writing or in person to the Commissioner immediately after receipt of the firearm or ammunition, furnishing a complete description of the firearm or ammunition purchased or otherwise obtained. He shall also furnish his own name, address, date of birth and occupation.
(b) Any person upon entering the Virgin Islands bringing with him any firearm or ammunition shall report in writing or in person to the Commissioner immediately of his arrival, furnishing a complete description of the firearm or ammunition brought into the Virgin Islands. He shall also furnish his own name, address, date of birth and occupation.
(c) In the event the person reporting under subsections (a) or (b), above, is qualified for a license to carry firearms in the Virgin Islands, the Commissioner shall issue the same, upon payment of the proper fee, and the firearm shall be registered in the Weapons Register provided for in section 469 of this chapter. If the person is not qualified for a license then the Commissioner shall retain the firearms or ammunition for disposition in accordance with the provisions of section 475 of this chapter, but no prosecution shall lie against the person for unlawful possession of the firearm or ammunition.
(d) Any person who fails to comply with this section shall be punished as provided in section 484 of this chapter.

471. Report of loss of firearm. Every person possessing or having under his control a firearm, and who loses the same or finds that it has disappeared, shall report the same to the Commissioner within 10 days, following discovery of such loss or disappearance, and in the event of his failing to do [so] such person shall be fined no more than $100.

482. Illegal use of license; penalty. Whoever knowingly allows the use of his license, issued under this chapter or any prior law of the Virgin Islands, by another person for the purpose of obtaining or transporting firearms shall be punished as provided in section 484 of this chapter.

483. General penalty section. Any person who violates the provisions of this chapter shall, except when otherwise specifically provided herein, be fined not more than $100 or imprisoned not more than six months or both; provided that if the violation occurs after such person has been convicted in the Virgin Islands of a violation of this chapter, or of a crime of violence, either in the Virgin Islands or in another jurisdiction, such person shall be fined not more than $500 or imprisoned not more than two years or both.

484. Regulation. The Commissioner may issue, modify and amend, from time to time, such rules and regulations, not inconsistent with this chapter or the provisions of other law, which he may deem necessary or appropriate to carry out the purposes of this chapter, which rules and regulation, upon approval by the Governor, shall have the force and effect of law.

The Police Commissioner shall issue rules and regulations, not inconsistent with the provisions of law, pertaining to the use and control of firearms used by employees of security, guard, patrol and private detective services. Such rules and regulations, upon approval by the Governor and the Legislature, shall have the force and effect of law. Upon such approval, the Commissioner shall cause such rules and regulations to be published and he shall provide each duly licensed security, guard, patrol and private detective service with copies thereof.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I have been there several times... from what I can remember my Texas CHL is valid there but something sticks in my head about no long arms. If you drive around St. John there are signs around the National Park that

prohibit hunting. So yea, there are some guns down there.

St. John had a very violent slave revolt back in the 1700s so culturally firearms are probably not widespread.

R

This job is on St. Thomas so I wonder if laws could vary from island to island. The driving part should be interesting (they drive on the left side of the road) to get used to if it comes to it.

Link Posted: 3/12/2009 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

VIRGIN ISLANDS

V.I. CODE

Thanks.

I hate legalese but from what I gathered their restrictions seem no better or worse than any other state in general baring a few rare examples (Texas).
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Let hope the Commissioner isn't a douche...

"457. Grounds for refusing to issue license.
(a) The Commissioner shall not issue a license to have and possess a firearm to any person convicted in or outside the Virgin Islands of any crime of violence; or of any violation of a narcotic or “harmful drug” law; nor to any person who is mentally incompetent, or a habitual drunkard or narcotic or drug addict; nor to any person convicted for the violation of the provisions of this chapter; nor to any person who for justifiable reasons is deemed to be an improper person by the Commissioner…… "

Link Posted: 3/12/2009 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Have a look at a couple of the longer posts in this thread. I think your perception of the V.I. might benefit greatly from it.

Some of these guys lived there and it is by no means a harmless paradise. You need to read this stuff.

http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2613

dpfunder
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts
Posted - 03/26/2008 :  13:01:16    
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

It has been brought to my attention that my previous post had some "racial" overtones. So, I want to clarify it, to dispel any misunderstandings.

I was raised in and have lived most of my adult life in an extremely liberal and racially diverse part of the Peoples Republic of Maryland. While I do not subscribe to alot of the the politics in the state, most people would consider me to be a liberal, with the exception of the Second Amendment issues. I am used to sitting in restaurants where I am the only caucasian and I have frequently found myself in grocery stores where I was the only "Anglo" who spoke English as my primary language. None of this bothers me, nor do I care. If I did care, I would move because I am not tied to this area by a career or some other anchor.

However, the US Virgin Islands is the most segregated place I have ever seen. The restaurants, grocery stores, shopping areas and recreation areas are all racially segregated by some invisible and unspoken marker that you quickly learn, once you move down there. I can't count the number of times that I would look around a place to observe a sea of "white" faces. It didn't matter whether I was at a restaurant, a concert or store. That is quite unusual considering the fact that whites only make up 7% of the population. I can only speculate as to the reasons.

First, there is a cultural difference between someone raised in the US and someone raised in the VI. As a rule, the way to succeed in the VI is to get elected or appointed to public office. Getting elected is like hitting the lottery. You get a fat six figure salary, where the average person makes $20k a year. Plus, a cell phone, two brand new GMC Trailblazers and a staff(free jobs for your friends and family). There are trips to Washington to lobby for the Islands. There are trips to Europe to fight for "reparations" from Denmark. There is even an appointment to the UN. If that isn't enough for you, you can always set up shell companies and steer fake government contracts to yourself because no one ever gets convicted. The Fed's indict various Senators every few years but almost never convict, unless someone is stupid enough to plead guilty.

Where, even if you were raised in the ghetto, the route to success in the US, comes from what you accomplish. If you grew up in suburbia, it's go to college, get a job, start a business, ect. If you came out of Baltimore, its become a runner, then move to various positions in the drug dealing organization which you have joined. Regardless of what you think of drug dealers, they actually work long hours and have a decent work ethic. If they would just use that towards legal endeavors, things would be great. If you hail from the hills of appalachia, then you do what you can to get a job in the mines and put in your time to retirment. Everywhere in the US, we are taught to work for what we want. It doesn't matter that their are technical differences in how we are taught that, based on our socio-economic backgrounds, it is still primarily the same message.

In the VI it is completely opposite. You are taught to do the minimum to get by and no more than that. There are no opportunities for good jobs. You can be a taxi driver, a cook or run for the Senate. This is why I think the racial groups tend to segregate naturally. Most whites are born and raised in the US and then move down there. They do not see things the same way a West Indian do. Therefore, you tend to hang out with the people who are most like you. Not because they are fellow whites but because they are fellow continentals. Native Virgin Islanders don't understand the continentals and stick to themselves but they also have a deep seeded mistrust for Puerto Ricans and "down islanders". Two groups they also will discriminate against and racially look the same.

I don't care that Virgin Islanders are black and I not disparaging their "homeland" because they are black. I am disparaging their culture because it is the most corrupt, backwards and unacceptable society to exist under the US flag. I don't sit here and beat the drum about Liberia or Angola, which are ten times worse than the VI. They aren't part of the US, that is their culture and I don't care if they want to live that way. Conversely, we are talking about people who are US citizens and a place that we subsidize over $2 Billion a year in Federal tax dollars.

You have Senators who, during recorded speeches, have attacked prominate members of the community for the crime of speaking out while being "white". They freely accuse people of being members of the KKK. You can currently find speeches on-line from Senators telling fellow Virgin Islanders that, to support white's who have called for investigations into corruption, is really supporting the KKK. They tell them that working is a form a servitude and that they are supporting their own oppression. For me, those elected Native Virgin Islanders are the real racists and the real oppressors. The indoctrination starts young and comes from Senators who spend half their time giving speeches in the elementary and middle schools throughout the year.

Regardless of whether some of you think that I am a racist, you are judged by your race when you are there. You can deny it and think everywhere in the world is just like New York City, this happy melting pot, but you are sadly mistaken. You will also have a rude awakening when you go to the Caribbean.

Link Posted: 3/12/2009 1:59:24 PM EDT
[#11]
You will have a blast driving there... drive left, drink right.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

VIRGIN ISLANDS

V.I. CODE

Thanks.

I hate legalese but from what I gathered their restrictions seem no better or worse than any other state in general baring a few rare examples (Texas).

454. Persons who may be licensed to carry firearms. A firearm may be
lawfully had, possessed, borne, transported or carried in the Virgin
Islands by the following persons, provided a license for such purpose
has been issued by the Commissioner in accordance with the provisions
of this chapter:

(1) An officer or employee of the Government of the Virgin Islands
in cases where such license, in the judgment of the Commissioner,
should be issued to such officer or employee by reason of the duties of
his position;

(2) An agent, messenger or other employee of a common carrier,
bank or business firm, whose duties require him to protect money,
valuables or other property in the discharge of his duties; And
provided, That the employer of such person shall have justified to the
satisfaction of the Commissioner the need for the issuance of the
license;

(3) A person having a bona fide residence or place of business
with the Virgin Islands, who established to the satisfaction of the
Commissioner that he has good reason to fear death or great injury to
his person or property, or who establishes any other proper reason for
carrying a firearm, and the circumstances of the case, established by
affidavit of the applicant and of at least two credible persons,
demonstrate the need for such a license;

You need a license to own a firearm, and the license application can be denied if you cannot demonstrate a need for said license.  "Target practice" is probably not a valid "need".

Sounds pretty unlike anywhere in the US to me.

Link Posted: 3/12/2009 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#13]
My brother's sister-in-law lived on St. Thomas for a few years.  Apparently, you didn't go out to certain areas of the island at night, for any reason.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
VIRGIN ISLANDS
V.I. CODE

Thanks.

before the start of the "Shall issue" CCW movement I would agree.

It sounds pretty bad from here.  

I worked there for about 2 years but this was in the mid 90's and the gun laws were pretty strict then.

Link Posted: 3/12/2009 2:16:36 PM EDT
[#15]
BTT
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

My brother's sister-in-law lived on St. Thomas for a few years. Apparently, you didn't go out to certain areas of the island at night, for any reason.

I find it hard to put much stock in that type of opinion. Talk to anybody from any place in the country outside of some rual areas and you will hear of places "they would not go to after dark". Hell there is no shortage of places around my area I would advise against making twilight visits to.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I've read the thread and I think I've got it figured out:

1. Move to V.I.
2. Pay a crooked politician $1000 for a weapons importer license.
3. Import cheap surplus machine guns for you and all your friends who "work" for your importer business.
4. Live life like it was meant to be.
5. Post pics of extensive machine gun collection on AR15.com

Link Posted: 3/12/2009 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

1. Move to V.I.

3. Import cheap surplus machine guns for you and all your friends who "work" for your importer business.

Sounds like my plan should I ever win the lottery.

Move to third world tropical paradise.

Bribe corrupt government officials.

Spend the rest of my days drunk on the beach blowing up shit while enjoying the company of my government provided goon squad who will "dissapear" anybody that so much as farts in my general direction.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

VIRGIN ISLANDS

V.I. CODE

Thanks.

454. Persons who may be licensed to carry firearms. A firearm may belawfully had, possessed, borne, transported or carried in the VirginIslands by the following persons, provided a license for such purposehas been issued by the Commissioner in accordance with the provisionsof this chapter:

(1) An officer or employee of the Government of the Virgin Islandsin cases where such license, in the judgment of the Commissioner,should be issued to such officer or employee by reason of the duties ofhis position;

(2) An agent, messenger or other employee of a common carrier,bank or business firm, whose duties require him to protect money,valuables or other property in the discharge of his duties; Andprovided, That the employer of such person shall have justified to thesatisfaction of the Commissioner the need for the issuance of thelicense;

(3) A person having a bona fide residence or place of businesswith the Virgin Islands, who established to the satisfaction of theCommissioner that he has good reason to fear death or great injury tohis person or property, or who establishes any other proper reason forcarrying a firearm, and the circumstances of the case, established byaffidavit of the applicant and of at least two credible persons,demonstrate the need for such a license;

You need a license to own a firearm, and the license application can be denied if you cannot demonstrate a need for said license.  "Target practice" is probably not a valid "need".

But there's also this:

460. Reciprocal recognition of out-of-state licenses.  Unless otherwise
prohibited by any state or federal law, a license to possess or to
carry firearms, issued by any competent authority of any state or
territory of the United States and in accordance with the same or
similar requirements as set forth in the preceding sections pertaining
to the applicant’s eligibility, and the establishment of his reputation
through fingerprints, shall be recognized as valid within the Virgin
Islands and shall allow the holder thereof to exercise all of the
privileges in connection therewith, while said licensee is a visitor or
transient resident herein.

Any marshal, sheriff, constable, police or peace officer, of any
state or territory of the United States, whose duty it is to serve
process and make arrests, may, while travelling through or in the
Virgin Islands on official business, carry such weapons or equipment as
has been authorized by his appointing authority.

Link Posted: 3/12/2009 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

VIRGIN ISLANDS

V.I. CODE

Thanks.

before the start of the "Shall issue" CCW movement I would agree.

It sounds pretty bad from here.

I worked there for about 2 years but this was in the mid 90's and the gun laws were pretty strict then.

Sounds like CCW is possible which is more than my current home state offers. As long as I can get away with taking my G19 and obtain a carry permit that's good enough for me. I would just leave the rest of my toys back home as I doubt the move would be permanent.

Link Posted: 3/12/2009 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
VIRGIN ISLANDS
V.I. CODE

Thanks.

From what I gathered, they are not shal issue for CHL. Texas is shall issue, and so are MANY other states.

You basicaly have to convice them that you need one (carry lots of cash deposits, etc)
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 2:44:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
VIRGIN ISLANDS
V.I. CODE

Thanks.

454. Persons who may be licensed to carry firearms. A firearm may belawfully had, possessed, borne, transported or carried in the VirginIslands by the following persons, provided a license for such purposehas been issued by the Commissioner in accordance with the provisionsof this chapter:
(1) An officer or employee of the Government of the Virgin Islandsin cases where such license, in the judgment of the Commissioner,should be issued to such officer or employee by reason of the duties ofhis position;
(2) An agent, messenger or other employee of a common carrier,bank or business firm, whose duties require him to protect money,valuables or other property in the discharge of his duties; Andprovided, That the employer of such person shall have justified to thesatisfaction of the Commissioner the need for the issuance of thelicense;
(3) A person having a bona fide residence or place of businesswith the Virgin Islands, who established to the satisfaction of theCommissioner that he has good reason to fear death or great injury tohis person or property, or who establishes any other proper reason forcarrying a firearm, and the circumstances of the case, established byaffidavit of the applicant and of at least two credible persons,demonstrate the need for such a license;

But there's also this:

460. Reciprocal recognition of out-of-state licenses.  Unless otherwiseprohibited by any state or federal law, a license to possess or tocarry firearms, issued by any competent authority of any state orterritory of the United States and in accordance with the same orsimilar requirements as set forth in the preceding sections pertainingto the applicant’s eligibility, and the establishment of his reputationthrough fingerprints, shall be recognized as valid within the VirginIslands and shall allow the holder thereof to exercise all of theprivileges in connection therewith, while said licensee is a visitor ortransient resident herein.
Any marshal, sheriff, constable, police or peace officer, of anystate or territory of the United States, whose duty it is to serveprocess and make arrests, may, while travelling through or in theVirgin Islands on official business, carry such weapons or equipment ashas been authorized by his appointing authority.

I wonder if they accept shal issue states as "same or similar requirements"
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

1. Move to V.I.
5. Post pics of extensive machine gun collection on AR15.com

Sounds like that "white tile" guy.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Been to the VI on vacation multiple times including St. Thomas and St. John. Never had a problem with crime or feeling unsafe. I did however strike up several conversations with people who actually lived there long term and said there are some definite racial tensions from time to time. Usually stirred up by the typical race baiting activists from St. Croix. If something happens to you don't expect the local police to try real hard to find the perp, because it is probably their cousin or other relative of some sort. It is very corrupt there.

Traffic sucks and if you want customer service or house work done do business with the Puerto Rican's as the locals will take their sweet ass time and probably half ass it.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I lived in the VI for two and a half years and it ain't paradise.  I left the first part of 2007, and I haven't heard of any massive changes since then (I keep in touch with some friends there).  If you like to shoot, it's not the place for you.  If you're white, you are in a small minority there and will be treated like crap a good portion of the time by the locals.  Actually, pretty much anyone from the mainland is treated as an outsider.  If you have kids, the schools are horrible and you will most likely have to home school or pay for private school.  It's expensive to live there, so make sure your wife has a very good job.  Having a gun on the island requires you to register it with the VI PD and they will hold it for an indeterminate time while they decide if it's been used in any crimes.  If you get it back (I have heard they disappear pretty frequently), odds are you will not be able to get a CCW there.  I work for DHS and even I had a hard time getting one and it took forever.  I know I sound really negative but most of the people I worked with down there will tell you the same thing.  If you have any questions feel free to IM me.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Have a look at a couple of the longer posts in this thread. I think your perception of the V.I. might benefit greatly from it.

Some of these guys lived there and it is by no means a harmless paradise. You need to read this stuff.

http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2613

dpfunder
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts
Posted - 03/26/2008 :  13:01:16    
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

It has been brought to my attention that my previous post had some "racial" overtones. So, I want to clarify it, to dispel any misunderstandings.

I was raised in and have lived most of my adult life in an extremely liberal and racially diverse part of the Peoples Republic of Maryland. While I do not subscribe to alot of the the politics in the state, most people would consider me to be a liberal, with the exception of the Second Amendment issues. I am used to sitting in restaurants where I am the only caucasian and I have frequently found myself in grocery stores where I was the only "Anglo" who spoke English as my primary language. None of this bothers me, nor do I care. If I did care, I would move because I am not tied to this area by a career or some other anchor.

However, the US Virgin Islands is the most segregated place I have ever seen. The restaurants, grocery stores, shopping areas and recreation areas are all racially segregated by some invisible and unspoken marker that you quickly learn, once you move down there. I can't count the number of times that I would look around a place to observe a sea of "white" faces. It didn't matter whether I was at a restaurant, a concert or store. That is quite unusual considering the fact that whites only make up 7% of the population. I can only speculate as to the reasons.

First, there is a cultural difference between someone raised in the US and someone raised in the VI. As a rule, the way to succeed in the VI is to get elected or appointed to public office. Getting elected is like hitting the lottery. You get a fat six figure salary, where the average person makes $20k a year. Plus, a cell phone, two brand new GMC Trailblazers and a staff(free jobs for your friends and family). There are trips to Washington to lobby for the Islands. There are trips to Europe to fight for "reparations" from Denmark. There is even an appointment to the UN. If that isn't enough for you, you can always set up shell companies and steer fake government contracts to yourself because no one ever gets convicted. The Fed's indict various Senators every few years but almost never convict, unless someone is stupid enough to plead guilty.

Where, even if you were raised in the ghetto, the route to success in the US, comes from what you accomplish. If you grew up in suburbia, it's go to college, get a job, start a business, ect. If you came out of Baltimore, its become a runner, then move to various positions in the drug dealing organization which you have joined. Regardless of what you think of drug dealers, they actually work long hours and have a decent work ethic. If they would just use that towards legal endeavors, things would be great. If you hail from the hills of appalachia, then you do what you can to get a job in the mines and put in your time to retirment. Everywhere in the US, we are taught to work for what we want. It doesn't matter that their are technical differences in how we are taught that, based on our socio-economic backgrounds, it is still primarily the same message.

In the VI it is completely opposite. You are taught to do the minimum to get by and no more than that. There are no opportunities for good jobs. You can be a taxi driver, a cook or run for the Senate. This is why I think the racial groups tend to segregate naturally. Most whites are born and raised in the US and then move down there. They do not see things the same way a West Indian do. Therefore, you tend to hang out with the people who are most like you. Not because they are fellow whites but because they are fellow continentals. Native Virgin Islanders don't understand the continentals and stick to themselves but they also have a deep seeded mistrust for Puerto Ricans and "down islanders". Two groups they also will discriminate against and racially look the same.

I don't care that Virgin Islanders are black and I not disparaging their "homeland" because they are black. I am disparaging their culture because it is the most corrupt, backwards and unacceptable society to exist under the US flag. I don't sit here and beat the drum about Liberia or Angola, which are ten times worse than the VI. They aren't part of the US, that is their culture and I don't care if they want to live that way. Conversely, we are talking about people who are US citizens and a place that we subsidize over $2 Billion a year in Federal tax dollars.

You have Senators who, during recorded speeches, have attacked prominate members of the community for the crime of speaking out while being "white". They freely accuse people of being members of the KKK. You can currently find speeches on-line from Senators telling fellow Virgin Islanders that, to support white's who have called for investigations into corruption, is really supporting the KKK. They tell them that working is a form a servitude and that they are supporting their own oppression. For me, those elected Native Virgin Islanders are the real racists and the real oppressors. The indoctrination starts young and comes from Senators who spend half their time giving speeches in the elementary and middle schools throughout the year.

Regardless of whether some of you think that I am a racist, you are judged by your race when you are there. You can deny it and think everywhere in the world is just like New York City, this happy melting pot, but you are sadly mistaken. You will also have a rude awakening when you go to the Caribbean.

So......It's Rhodesia Island? but with US Currency?  How is this not a splendid fuckwin?

I'm putting my pants on and packing the bags now. Where is this place anyways?  Who wants to open a bank?
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 3:30:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I lived there for 2 years. You'll be sorry.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 3:41:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I lived there for 2 years. You'll be sorry.

+1  Make sure you visit St. Thomas before Wifey pulls the trigger on the job.  Another expense you need to take into account is that you WILL want to get off the island at least once every month or two to get away from the island culture.  I've spent some time on St. Thomas and it is not a place I would choose to live or even vacation.  ymmv

Link Posted: 3/12/2009 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#29]
We referred to it as "America's Third World" and "Haiti with an American flag".
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
My brother's sister-in-law lived on St. Thomas for a few years. Apparently, you didn't go out to certain areas of the island at night, for any reason.

I find it hard to put much stock in that type of opinion. Talk to anybody from any place in the country outside of some rual areas and you will hear of places "they would not go to after dark". Hell there is no shortage of places around my area I would advise against making twilight visits to.

She lived in the island's interior.  In those areas, there was always bad shit happening.  Gunshots could be heard, murders and rapes happened frequently.  Tourists are none-the-wiser as this is not near major resorts and generally it isn't reported on.  But from what she described, it is 100% third world.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Well damn you guys are knocking all the wind out of my sails. Here I was cursing this vile cold weather and dreaming of sunny beaches and palm trees. Why are all the nice places filled with assholes? FWIW a big part of our decision will be based on how much relocation assistance this company offers (which is still in negotiation).
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 4:14:38 PM EDT
[#32]
I am from Saint Croix in the US VI. Your permit is valid if you ask them 6 months ahead of time and they will definately deny the request, I know I tried last time I visited. Good luck on buying a gun without knowing someone, you have to have a permit to buy a gun. very few shops. Even fewer places to shoot, no public ranges. Unless you are a cop or rich or have well placed friends getting a permit is damn near impossible. Their permit also allows you to carry a specific gun only. Oh yeah, bringing your own gun to Saint Croix ain't gonna happen either. Each island has the same laws. PM me if you have more specific questions.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:06:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Well we have decided to do it. Picked out a private school for the kids and have a deposit on a nice home on St.Thomas. The monthly lease was about what we pay per month here for a comprable home. Moving at the end of next month and will soon be enjoying life in a tropical paradise.

I will have to quit my job but thats fine I hated it anyway. What sucks though is now we have the next month to sell off the bulk of our shit (cheaper to sell and buy new that have everything shipped to the island). Keeping two of the cars though (06 GT and 07 Trailblazer SS). Anybody have a source for cheap shipping? I honestly have no idea where to look. The bulk of my guns are going up for sale. Figure on weeding it down to one AR, one AK, my old 870, Grandpas 1911 and my Glock 19. Will be storing them at the parents house for the time being but plan to get the Glock down there somehow. Talked to a future coworker of my wifes who already lives down there. He managed to get a permit and will put me in touch with the people I need to talk to.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:08:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Well we have decided to do it. Picked out a private school for the kids and have a deposit on a nice home on St.Thomas. The monthly lease was about what we pay per month here for a comprable home. Moving at the end of next month and will soon be enjoying life in a tropical paradise.

I will have to quit my job but thats fine I hated it anyway. What sucks though is now we have the next month to sell off the bulk of our shit (cheaper to sell and buy new that have everything shipped to the island). Keeping two of the cars though (06 GT and 07 Trailblazer SS). Anybody have a source for cheap shipping? I honestly have no idea where to look. The bulk of my guns are going up for sale. Figure on weeding it down to one AR, one AK, my old 870 and my Glock 19. Will be storing them at the parents house for the time being but plan to get the Glock down there somehow. Talked to a future coworker of my wifes who already lives down there. He managed to get a permit and will put me in touch with the people I need to talk to.

What do you have to sell?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:11:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will have to quit my job but thats fine I hated it anyway. What sucks though is now we have the next month to sell off the bulk of our shit (cheaper to sell and buy new that have everything shipped to the island). Keeping two of the cars though (06 GT and 07 Trailblazer SS). Anybody have a source for cheap shipping? I honestly have no idea where to look. The bulk of my guns are going up for sale. Figure on weeding it down to one AR, one AK, my old 870 and my Glock 19. Will be storing them at the parents house for the time being but plan to get the Glock down there somehow. Talked to a future coworker of my wifes who already lives down there. He managed to get a permit and will put me in touch with the people I need to talk to.

What do you have to sell?

Mostly home furniture, my beater truck and my 68 Mustang which my brother has already claimed. I have two guns listed on the EE now. A few of my hunting rifles are going up on some fudd boards where they will get a better price.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#36]
If your wife is the one who is getting the job, what are you going to do (other than post a metric shit-ton of photos on the arf)?  What kind of work does she do?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#37]
I lived on St. John for several years right after Hurricane Hugo. Was a really cool place with tremendous weather pretty much every day. You will need to check any "attitude" you may have at the airport and learn to be the minority while you are there. The racial tensions people have mentioned are very real. I'd been spit at, harassed, etc., etc. They will only do it if they are in a pack. Get used to the word "moderscunt" which translated is an insult which means "your mothers cunt". It seemed to me that for the most part it got violent around Carnival which is a big Caribbean holiday. The cops are totally in the bag for the locals so don't expect too much from them. You will need to always lock you car and home as things will disappear. A lot of people have open air Jeeps so do not leave backpacks, beach supplies, coolers, etc in it or they will probably be gone. Red Hook used to be a pretty decent area of St. Thomas and they had some nice supermarkets and such. Get in with some locals, white and West Indian,  and your life will be much nicer. Get over to St. John when you can (Ferry leaves from Redhook just about every hour) and check out the National Park and beaches as they are some of the best in the world. Jost Van Dyke, The Baths, Bitter End, Anegada, and Beef & Salt Islands are some really cool places in the BVI. Learn to live in a slower pace or you will get unbelievably annoyed. A bottle of rum is cheaper than a 2 litter of Coke so that can be both good and bad. Crack cocaine became a pretty bad problem there right before I left and am not sure if they got that cleaned up or not. Learn where the racial boundaries are and adhere to them and you will be fine. I wanted to go commando a bunch of times while I was there but it just was not worth it. Most of the time if you "chill" they will too. Have fun, get a tan, make some money, and see how you like it. If you have any specific questions feel free to IM me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:29:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If your wife is the one who is getting the job, what are you going to do (other than post a metric shit-ton of photos on the arf)?  What kind of work does she do?

She is in finance. As for me I'm putting my two weeks notice in on Monday. My income is irrelevant with her pay raise. I have no idea what I will do down there. Honestly might try to find something part time at a resort or something similar. For all she cares I could be a stay at home dad but I would rather find something to fill my time with than stay at home with kids all day. May look into local universities and go back to school.

Honestly all I care about is getting away from disgusting midwest weather.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I lived on St. John for several years right after Hurricane Hugo. Was a really cool place with tremendous weather pretty much every day. You will need to check any "attitude" you may have at the airport and learn to be the minority while you are there. The racial tensions people have mentioned are very real. I'd been spit at, harassed, etc., etc. They will only do it if they are in a pack. Get used to the word "moderscunt" which translated is an insult which means "your mothers cunt". It seemed to me that for the most part it got violent around Carnival which is a big Caribbean holiday. The cops are totally in the bag for the locals so don't expect too much from them. You will need to always lock you car and home as things will disappear. A lot of people have open air Jeeps so do not leave backpacks, beach supplies, coolers, etc in it or they will probably be gone. Red Hook used to be a pretty decent area of St. Thomas and they had some nice supermarkets and such. Get in with some locals, white and West Indian,  and your life will be much nicer. Get over to St. John when you can (Ferry leaves from Redhook just about every hour) and check out the National Park and beaches as they are some of the best in the world. Jost Van Dyke, The Baths, Bitter End, Anegada, and Beef & Salt Islands are some really cool places in the BVI. Learn to live in a slower pace or you will get unbelievably annoyed. A bottle of rum is cheaper than a 2 litter of Coke so that can be both good and bad. Crack cocaine became a pretty bad problem there right before I left and am not sure if they got that cleaned up or not. Learn where the racial boundaries are and adhere to them and you will be fine. I wanted to go commando a bunch of times while I was there but it just was not worth it. Most of the time if you "chill" they will too. Have fun, get a tan, make some money, and see how you like it. If you have any specific questions feel free to IM me.

I thought St. John was pretty much ininhabited with nothing but parks. I have been advised to stay away from St. Croix when possible though. Slow paced living suits me just fine. Did some research on cost of living and it all looked suprisingly low. I had about a hour long conversation with her future coworker last week and him and his wife seem to love it. They moved there about a year ago with their children. They helped us pick out a school and home ( same neighborhood as them his wife went and took pics of the house on a tour for us). As far as the locals go I really have no worries about that. I lived in Mexico City for six months and managed to avoid getting murdered.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

She is in finance. As for me I'm putting my two weeks notice in on Monday. My income is irrelevant with her pay raise. I have no idea what I will do down there. Honestly might try to find something part time at a resort or something similar. For all she cares I could be a stay at home dad but I would rather find something to fill my time with than stay at home with kids all day. May look into local universities and go back to school.

Honestly all I care about is getting away from disgusting midwest weather.

Follow the dream my friend.  I'm insanely jealous.  Go fishing and post a ton of pics for us poor bastards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top