Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2002 5:29:15 PM EDT

[b]Have they twisted the Bible or is it shamefully XXX rated?[/b]

[img]http://www.postfun.com/graphics/xxxl.gif[/img]

[url]http://www.postfun.com/pfp/NC-17Bible.html[/url]

From the King James Version  [img]http://www.postfun.com/graphics/jesus21.jpg[/img]

[red]GANG-RAPE[/red] [b]Judges 19:24-29[/b] "Behold, here is my daughter a maiden, and his concubine; them I will bring out now, and humble ye them, and do with them what seemeth good unto you: but unto this man do not so vile a thing. But the men would not hearken to him: so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning: and when the day began to spring, they let her go. Then came the woman in the dawning of the day, and fell down at the door of the man's house where her lord was, till it was light. And her lord rose up in the morning, and opened the doors of the house, and went out to go his way: and behold, the woman his concubine was fallen down at the door of the house, and her hands were upon the threshold. And he said unto her, Up, and let us be going. But none answered. Then the man took her up upon an ass, and the man rose up, and gat him unto his place. And when he was come into his house, he took a knife, and laid hold on his concubine, and divided her, together with her bones, into twelve pieces, and sent her into all the coasts of Israel."

[red]Watersports [/red]  [b]Isaiah 36:12[/b] "But Rab-shakeh said, Hath my master sent me to thy master and to thee to speak these words? hath he not sent me to the men that sit upon the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you?"

[i]I realize these people have taken some of the writings out of context, but it is written...  they assumably have not taken away or added to it.  

Being raised  a catholic, and attending parochial school for 8 years, I don't remember the nuns or priest's talking about this.  I guess they were withholding huh?[/i] [rolleyes]

realist out
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you really think the nuns and preists were out of line for not telling/reading these parts of scripture (in context or out) to a class,  of which a fair portions was adolescent boys?  Imagine the reaction...

As for the Judges section, read a bit further and I think you will discover that the 'divided woman' was a message (I'm working from memory here - so I might not be 100% right in my recollection) and revenge was taken on the 'rapists'
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Jhasz...  point taken..  

But there are plenty of churches that never speak of these scriptures to adults....  

Is this why the nuns told us not to read the bible because we would not understand it?  Even as adults they fear we may be corrupted by the very book they worship from..  

We've all been sheeple from the get go.. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#3]
In Judges, the full story is about some travelers that were passing through a town.  An old man and a Levite offered the travelers to stay in their home for the night.  In the ancient Middle East this is a very powerful gesture.  When you offer someone to stay in your home for the night, you are under a very strong obligation to protect them.  Many people of the town were corrupt homosexuals/bisexuals and came to the house at night wanting to rape the new guys in town (similar to the story of Lot in Genesis).  Women in the cultures of the mid-east ancient world were treated with less value than they are today.  Therefore, having no means to repel the mob, in order to protect the travelers, the women were offered to the mob.  (Offering the women was also a sinful thing to do.)  The woman was divided into 12 pieces as a political symbol to unite the tribes against the men of the evil town.  (Sinners of this magnitude were to be stoned to death according to the law God gave to Moses.)   Instead, the tribe of Benjamin protected the men of the town.  This led to a civil war.  After which the tribe of Benjamin was almost wiped out.

In the Isaiah verse, Rabshakeh was insulting the soldiers on the wall of the city.  He was insulting them by saying they are men that eat their own waste.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Lest we forget the origins of the word sodomy.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#5]
A good book related to this subject is "The Harlot by the Side of the Road: Forbidden Tales of the Bible" by Jonathan Kirsch.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#6]
There are lots of racey or otherwise controversial verses of scripture.

What bothers me about all this is that anyone would be told;

"This is what you should believe. But don't study it for yourself, you wouldn't understand it."

Not good.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:20:00 AM EDT
[#7]
The Bible contains accounts of murder, rape, incest, witchcraft, sodomy, homosexuality, adultery, fornication, theft, lying, slander, beastiality, disobedience to parents etc etc etc.

But always in a moral context, conveying God's defintions of right and wrong, and the consequences of the several courses of action. They are given for our instruction. Wisdom is found in learning the lessons of Scripture.

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:53:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Gee I might just have to get me one of those bible thingys!!  Sounds like a real HOT read!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:58:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Ban all Bibles.

For the children.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:03:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Wisdom is found in learning the lessons of Scripture.

View Quote

ahh, garandman...always good for a laugh[:)]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:21:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:24:44 AM EDT
[#12]
well said, Ed!

-bricklayer
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:23:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Ed,

I am only trying to distinguish what I am reading now in the scriptures and what
I have been taught....  I swear I worship no false Gods... And I wish God's I mean Mod's
like you would not be so authoritative. If I have done wrong then banish me....  if not, then get on your mule and ride my friend...  [;)]

realist out
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:30:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:33:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

And I wish God's I mean Mod's
like you would not be so authoritative. If I have done wrong then banish me....  if not, then get on your mule and ride my friend...  [;)]

realist out
View Quote

Speaking of mules, realist, try not to be an ass, 'K?????
[}:D]

BwaaaaaaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

edited to add: NOT that he IS an ass, of course,  just that he seemed to the outside observer, that he was, well, like being ass-like in his comments, which of course is open to wide interpretation, and not that i wish to pass judgment of course, cuz things can be taken out of context, and that realist is a swell fellow, and...well...nevermind.

[blush][:D]

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:48:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Ed,

Yes, I am a Wolf....   When younger I once lit all the devotion candles in the front of the church without paying...  they really looked pretty...  I never said I was an AlterBoy Ed...
Don't be tempted by the fruit that tempted Adam less you live a life of Misery...  The Lessor of two evils only which you can decide...  [;)]

Garandman..

You sir are a funny man.....  

realist out
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Oy....  I'll be watching me Back reeeeal good now....  Thanks for the heads up...  I am leaving now and will be an aware traveler.....  Hope I make it....  

realist out
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:58:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted: There are lots of racey or otherwise controversial verses of scripture.

What bothers me about all this is that anyone would be told;

"This is what you should believe. But don't study it for yourself, you wouldn't understand it."

Not good.
View Quote

Yeah.  Not being a catholic, I never could quite understand the philposophy of that denomination.  I understand things have changed a bit in the last 30 years or so, but since it says faith comes from hearing (and reading) the Word (Bible) how could a church discourage it's followers from something that important.

I can understand a class full of children not reading some parts, but adults?

I'm glad I was raised in a different denomination
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top