Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2009 3:27:06 PM EDT
Friday night I got off work at midnight. I was looking forward to getting a shower and relaxing a little bit before getting to bed. I get home and get inside and realize the dog is still outside, my wife fell asleep before she let the dog in. Cassie, my mix German shepherd, is an inside dog but we chain link fenced an acre of the property in that encompasses the deck off the back of the house. I find Cassie, the dog, by the door, tail wagging to beat hell happy to see me. I let her in and I thought she had one of her toy stuffed animals in her mouth, but I noticed her "toy" had a long flat tail. I told her drop it, so she drops the critter and looks up at me, that's when I notice the huge gash in her face. The muskrat must have bitten her in the side of the face tearing a v shape in her cheek. I must have said "shit" loud enough that it woke the wife up. When she saw Cassie she got a little frantic. I told her to hold a cold compress on Cassie face while I called the vet. The vet had us give her Bayer aspirin for the pain and keep the compress on till the bleeding stopped and we could get her in to the vet in the morning.

So, she got stitches, doubt she learned her lesson. The muskrat had no head though, so the bite must have really pissed her off.
Poor girl.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics of the Muskrat?

Link Posted: 3/9/2009 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Poor girl but I am sure she will fine.

Find that POS rodent and pump it full of lead.

Link Posted: 3/9/2009 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#3]
KILL THE MUSKRAT
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm at work, but since you asked, I'll get some up tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#5]
My parent's lab did the same thing some years back, but the cut wasn't as severe. I had to finish the muskrat off with a .40cal shot. Im sure the cut hurt, but your dog was smiling on the inside!
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like a staple to me. Did the Vet give your dog a rabies booster? I say that because a marsh rabbit (muskrat) should not be found in your yard. Tax ditch, marsh or pond yes.
Need pics of the rat, good dog.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh yeah, got a booster. We have a 7 acre pond on my property too, the chain link fence is probably 75 yards from the pond, hence the muskrat.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 3:56:33 PM EDT
[#8]
oops, double tap.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 3:59:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Good doggy!

Did you let her eat it?
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#10]
When I had my GS dog I found him "playing" with a possum he killed. He didn't have a scratch on him which was unbelieveable.  I know possum's "play" dead but I don't think one would play dead when they get bit.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Hope your dog feels better.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hope your dog feels better.

She's doing great now, on antibiotics, she looks pitiful in the pictures, I think she over acted for the pic, it was a ploy to get a cookie I think.

Link Posted: 3/9/2009 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Pics of the Muskrat?

Link Posted: 3/9/2009 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I doubt your dog regrets a thing. Good girl.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#15]
There are times my cats get into it with possums and gawd knows what else,talk about fucked up!

In general if they haven't/can't kill it I go take care of it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Good dog.  Hope she heals up good.  My gsd's killed a skunk a while back and never got sprayed.  Hard to imagine how they avoided it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pics of the Muskrat?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top