Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2002 10:03:38 AM EDT
i found this in [i]The Federalist[/i], an online conservative news journal, and i think this is the absolute best description of the what has occurred in the journalism industry.

"The profession of journalism also experienced a dramatic cultural change during the latter half of the 20th century. From its inception until the 1960s, journalism operated like a guild. Apprentices began their careers as copy boys, made their way through a succession of newsroom jobs, and graduated, in time, to become reporters or editors. Along the way, they acquired important tools of the trade -- experience, skepticism, and an informed humility about what they could and could not do. That tradition came a cropper sometime between the Second World War and Watergate. Journalists began to fancy themselves more as professionals -- akin to doctors and lawyers -- or as intellectuals. Media organizations sought out and promoted young graduates of elite educational institutions and set them loose without any of the basic training that earlier generations took for granted. In addition, reporters began to view themselves as crusaders rather than eyewitnesses. They set out to change the world rather than to describe it. This combination of factors produced a press corps too often afflicted with the odd combination of callowness, callousness, cluelessness and arrogance. As the intelligentsia turned sharply leftward in the 1960s, so did the press. ...Patriotism became deeply unfashionable. So did optimism. The things that made Americans proud had the opposite effect on media stars, who found the old-fashioned customs embarrassing. ...This would explain why the press, once seen as the voice of the Common Man, now has become his nemesis -- and why polls continue to rate journalists just above felons in terms of public approval."  --Tony Snow
View Quote

too bad "news" doesn't stand for the same things anymore.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Also be sure to check out "Bias" by Bernie Goldberg, a former CBS reporter.  It's a great book about the liberal bias in the media.  I just finished reading it.

AR i.t.w's
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 10:51:45 AM EDT
[#2]
important tools of the [journalism] trade--experience, skepticism, and an informed humility
View Quote

Those are important tools for many (most?) jobs.  It's too bad they're hard things to teach and to learn.z
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#3]
"...reporters began to view themselves as crusaders rather than eyewitnesses. They set out to change the world rather than to describe it. "  --Tony Snow
View Quote

This illustrates the Great Hypocracy of Modern Journalism:  

Most journalists acknowledge they got into journalism to "make a difference" in the world, to change the world for "the better" (by [i]their[/i] vision).

So how can journalists boast about being "objective" in covering events in society when the their whole purpose of covering it is to [b]change[/b] society?

Journalists, [puke]

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#4]
...and this has been the CBS Evening News with Dan Blather...... we distort you figure it out.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 2:31:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i found this in [i]The Federalist[/i], an online conservative news journal, and i think this is the absolute best description of the what has occurred in the journalism industry.

". ...Patriotism became deeply unfashionable. So did optimism. and why polls continue to rate journalists just above felons in terms of public approval."  --Tony Snow
View Quote

too bad "news" doesn't stand for the same things anymore.
View Quote

I can still see this today.  I get that funny feeling from the reporters covering the Gulf War and today in Afghanistan, they seem to feel very uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#6]
That's a damn fine description, thanks for posting it.  Crusader vs. eyewitness hits the nail right on the head.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Reporters (?) see themselves as always anti-government.  
(Really, actually true)
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Two words...

Matt Drudge

This guy has gone back to the true defination of what a reporter is supposed to be.
[url]www.drudgereport.com[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top