Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2002 6:37:03 AM EDT
Found these at the abc news website.
[img]http://www.nytimes.com/images/2001/12/30/international/30plan.1.jpg[/img]

Jean-Claude Joly was sitting a few rows back from Richard C. Reid on Flight 63 from Paris to Miami on Dec. 22 when the plane erupted in confusion after Mr. Reid tried to light a fuse coming out of his sneaker. Mr. Joly grabbed his camera and captured the scene in these photos, purchased by The New York Times after they were made available on Friday. In this first picture, about eight passengers used belts and earphone wires to tie up Mr. Reid. They would later say they thought he was drunk.

[img]http://www.nytimes.com/images/2001/12/29/international/30plan.2.jpg[/img]

A flight attendant searched the small knapsack that was Mr. Reid's only luggage and found a passport identifying him as a British citizen.

[img]http://www.nytimes.com/images/2001/12/29/international/30plan.3.jpg[/img]

Two doctors, including the man in red, then injected Mr. Reid with a sedative from the on-board medical kit.

[img]http://www.nytimes.com/images/2001/12/29/international/30plan.4.jpg[/img]

The plane was diverted to Boston, and in the two hours of flight remaining, passengers including Kwame James, a professional basketball player, took turns standing guard over Mr. Reid. Mr. James later said he was amazed at how difficult it was to restrain Mr. Reid. "He was almost possessed," Mr. James said

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:47:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:51:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I would have never let that S.O.B. back in his seat after he tried to blow me up with his shoes. I would have had him hog tied, naked and in the shitter until the plane landed.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:57:52 AM EDT
[#3]
That dude would have got the piss beat out of him if I were on the plane.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:58:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would have never let that S.O.B. back in his seat after he tried to blow me up with his shoes. I would have had him hog tied, naked and in the shitter until the plane landed.
View Quote

Dead men don't need to be tied, stripped or moved.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:59:42 AM EDT
[#5]
 A one punch sedative would have been more appropriate.  I would have likely beat him to death.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:04:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Even if he had died as a result of being beaten I would have still stripped him, tied him up and threw him in the shitter. You can't ever be too careful. Plus, it would have made some great pics showing what happens to terrorists on [b]MY[/b] plane.[:)]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#7]
That's why there is a crash axe in the cockpit.

[stick]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Anbody notice the "flight attendent"???
Doesn't he look a little different than the typical pretty ladies you find...

My guess is he looks like a marine, wearing flight attendent garb...
aka...Sky marshall ??

...Just an observation, maybe he's just one of the pilots...
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:13:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anbody notice the "flight attendent"???
Doesn't he look a little different than the typical pretty ladies you find...

My guess is he looks like a marine, wearing flight attendent garb...
aka...Sky marshall ??

...Just an observation, maybe he's just one of the pilots...
View Quote

I think he's one of the pilots. I don't think flight attendants wear stripes on their shoulders.......
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:17:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Even if he had died as a result of being beaten I would have still stripped him, tied him up and threw him in the shitter. You can't ever be too careful. Plus, it would have made some great pics showing what happens to terrorists on [b]MY[/b] plane.[:)]
View Quote

I stand corrected, sir.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:33:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
 A one punch sedative would have been more appropriate.  I would have likely beat him to death.
View Quote

It's a pleasent thought, but I think I would have stopped one punch away from death. Dead men can't talk and intel in this war is important, so no need to go hockey parent on his ass.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
no need to go hockey parent on his ass.
View Quote

That, my brother, is funny stuff.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I think that I read that no one on the plane understood just how serious the situation really was.  They thought he was trying to light a fire, not blow up the plane.  It wasnt until after the plane landed and they were interviewed that they realized it was a "bomb" in his shoes.

I would personally have been pretty offfended that this guy took it upon himself to blow up MY plane.  I would have killed him.  No doubt that the passengers would have had to tie ME up to stop me from killing the son of a bitch.

Just think for a second that if this dumbass had been bright enough to have gone into the bathroom, this would have ended quite differently.              Steven

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
go hockey parent on his ass.
View Quote

LMAO

That brings back memories. Dammit dad, sit down and watch the game!
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

LMAO

View Quote

yeah, but it's not so funny when you realize that the parent of a youth hockey player beat the coach to death because the parent thought the game was being played too roughly.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 10:27:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

LMAO

View Quote

yeah, but it's not so funny when you realize that the parent of a youth hockey player beat the coach to death because the parent thought the game was being played too roughly.  
View Quote

ok.

And your point is? No jokes allowed? [>:/]

Jeez for a second I thought my Mom was here. [:O]

edited to add the Mom line!
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 10:31:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

LMAO

View Quote

View Quote

ok.

And your point is? No jokes allowed? [>:/]

Jeez for a second I thought my Mom was here. [:O]

edited to add the Mom line!
View Quote

Gee, I hope I get a spanking! I mean...... uuuhhh nevermind.....
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#20]
They should have flown down below 10K feet, opened the door and let a**hole reid have his wish to die over the Atlantic ocean.

- CD

PS: Personally, I would have beaten him to *death* if I had been sitting nearby.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

SECONDED.

The ONLY possible reason to let the pr**k survive is to ensure the FBIs get a shot at him.  My blood would have been up...I'd have gone after him just as if he were my mortal enemy...which he was.  No details...just let your mind run free.  A little quick thinking and judicious use of the tools available onboard (Hot coffee/water pot...pour first then bash...flashlight...fire extinguisher...you get the idea.)

I heard one of the flight attendants clocked the SOB with a fire extinguisher...SWEET!

[pissed][pissed][kill][pissed][pissed]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#22]
It is interesting to hear of the restraint the passengers had with this ameoba.

Perhaps not knowing he had a bomb on him was the reason.

What a great story. I gotta laugh. Imagine clocking someone in the head with a fire ext. and being lauded by millions of people!
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#23]
A nice choke hold for about 60 seconds would have taken care of this. I guess if the FBI wanted him you'd have to stop as soon as he passed out....about 30 - 40 seconds.

Just get his adams apple in the crook of one arm and make a muscle. Don't take long till they are passed out. Two minutes and their brain dies.

I guess he fought well, or people were pulling their punches. I think gouging his eyes out with thumbs would have been appropo.

I think my 280 lbs on top of him would have calmed him somewhat......

A little fire extinguisher action would have been fun....
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Bev cart to the bread basket!
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Remember the first Airplane movie?  There was a running gag of several folks trying to console a hysterical passenger.  Eventually it evolved into dozens of passengers lined up with bats, blackjacks, etc waiting for thier "turn".
I think that would have been fair.  Let everyone on the plane line up to take turns taking a wack at this guy.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:15:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I think if I was one of the doctors that was about to give him a seditive injection I'd just somehow forget to include the sedative in the needle.

About a minute (or less) later air bubble reaches the heart and the problem is taken care of.

I guess it would be better to let the FBI have him. If I saw that guy inline to board my plane I would hope that I would choose to fly at a different time.

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top