Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2002 5:56:44 AM EDT
I saw their ad in Shotgun news and they have cheap guns with a lifetime warrenty.  Even if you are the 3rd owner, they will fix it for free.  Just wondering because I am looking for a cheap good .40 or 9mm pistol.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:26:18 AM EDT
[#1]
KelTec.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:28:27 AM EDT
[#2]
What are you going to use it for? I've owned a HI-point 40 cal pistol and 9mm carbine. I got tired of mine quickly. They were fun for plinking, but I would choose something else to trust my life to.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:33:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Well for the time being, it would be my only pistol.  There is no concealed carry here so it would spend most of its time in my nightstand by the bed.  But I would probably shoot it every weekend.  I looked at the keltec link but that 9mm cost to much.  I am poor people.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:39:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well for the time being, it would be my only pistol.  There is no concealed carry here so it would spend most of its time in my nightstand by the bed.  But I would probably shoot it every weekend.  I looked at the keltec link but that 9mm cost to much.  I am poor people.
View Quote

Well if that is all you can afford then go for it, I guess. You might be able to find a Ruger pistol for 2-2.5 times more than the hi-point. I would go that route, if $$ is tight. You would be happier with it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:48:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I can't speak (directly) about hi-point pistols, but I [i]do[/i]  own one of their 9mm carbines ( [url]http://www.hipointf.nv.switchboard.com/[/url] ).

I have it mostly for the sheer "oh my god that's silly-looking" factor of it (one guy in my local shooting club calls it my "monkey gun").

So.  It's built out on the frame of their 9mm pistol, with a longer barrel, a bizarre-looking slide, and the stock and grip and foregrip feel like they were manufactured by Fisher-Price, although not in bright primary colours.

It's got a horrible bolt hold-open mechanism and a wee little ejection port;  the chamber is not visible, so you have to expect it with a finger through the port, whereupon the bolt likes to close and mash your fingernail.  This is likely not a problem with the pistol, but, well, I have to gritch.

For all that, it shoots fairly straight with iron sights, out to 50 yards (the longest I've shot it at) and it'll chamber ammo that my Taurus PT92 will not.  But it's not reliable.  It jams at least once per magazine, and (worse) the magazine is *very* tough to get seated properly.  You have to give it a good thump on the bottom with the flat of your hand every time you seat the mag, else it'll wait until an inconvenient moment and will fall out of the gun and bounce out past the redline on the range.  I can't imagine the pistol is any different; the magazine retention system is the same between the pistol and the carbine.

All things considered, I wouldn't recommend a Hi-point for any use other than as a curiosity.  Their stuff is flimsy, unreliable, and feels terrible in the hand.

Hope this helps.

-BP
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:56:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Had the opportunity to shoot not only the Hi Point, but it's predecessor, the "Stallard" .45 .

Handled like a pneumatic nailgun, had the crisp trigger of a Swingline stapler, and actually weighed more than near every other .45 in the shop (The 28' Thompson weighed more..)

These are cheap guns. What's your life worth? I've seen serviceable S&W  model 10s go for under 200.00..
Meplat-
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:03:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

flapjack, have you looked around for a used S&W mdl. 10?  I'll bet you could find one for about $40-50 more than the Hipoint and it would last past your lifetime.
The one review I've read on the HiPoint 9mm wasn't very promising, but it _would be better than a rock_.
Goodluck.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:03:45 AM EDT
[#8]
The only other gun I have found in my price range is the "Star" Brand 9mm.  It was used and they wanted 200 bucks.  Any luck with the Star brand?
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:18:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Bulgarian Makarovs are/were going for $120-130.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:21:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Also, if you are just looking for a home defense weapon, Enfield No4Mk1s(get the Longbranch if you go this way) are in the same pricerange.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:29:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Why don't you try saving up a little more money and buy a gun you can trust.  Don't buy Highpoint POS, these are guns they sell to hoodlums to kill each other.  They cost $99 at the local pawn shop in Macon, GA.  Absolute junk.  Save up some money and buy a decent gun, you'll be glad you did.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:04:14 AM EDT
[#12]
 "Cheap, good.."
 Oxymoron.  You may not get what you pay for, but you won't get something for nothing.  Hipoint is a POS.  You can buy a Makarov for under $150 if you look around, and they are reliable.  Trusting your life to a POS gun is like rapelling with a frayed rope.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:51:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The only other gun I have found in my price range is the "Star" Brand 9mm.  It was used and they wanted 200 bucks.  Any luck with the Star brand?
View Quote

The only good thing I can say about Star is that they're better than Hi Point. I assume we're talking about the Firestar  models here. I got one by accident,(payment for helping somebody move) and I gotta tell ya, I would buy a beat to shit Ruger P series before I'd put money into a Star. Shitty trigger, doesn't point real well,about the only good things I have to say about it are it always shoots and you can carry cocked and locked. Save them pennies and get something good.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 9:02:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you want a reliable, inexpensive, accuarate, semi-auto pistol, you can't beat the Makarov.  I'd get one in 9x18, rather than .380.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would go with it.  I have a Star Model 30, I paid around $275 NIB in 1990 w/2 15rd mags, cleaning kit. The M30 has a steel frame, but it was also available in aluminum. It is the same genre as the Baretta 92s, Sig 226 etc. service pistols.  Star was bought out by another Spanish firearms company, Astra. Interarms used to import them into the U.S., but Interarms is no longer in business. The Star Model 30 was very reliable pistol.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 2:29:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Do not buy a POS HI-POINT.  Those are the crapiest damn guns ever made, along with Jennings, Davis, Bryco, and Raven.  If you see any of the previously mentioned products (I don't dare call them firearms) run, run like the wind.
The only thing those things are good for are goddamned boat anchors.  Go with a MAK or a used S&W MOD-10 something along the lines of what other people are suggesting, anything but those mentioned above.  Have you ever had someone give you advice and you didn't listen?  And you wish you had in the end.  Learn from the mistakes of others my friend.

ROCK ON  
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I loved my 9mm Carbine.

Yeas, it did look wierd. The feel was great. It fit right under my shoulder when carrying it. The magazine is harder than normal to engage. Slightly harder than an AR-15. Then again if you can knock an aftermarket AR Mag. into place, you can get a Hi-Point seated. If you set it properly. I smacked it twice. then it will fire almost flawlessly. It jams every so often under rapid fire. My AR is more reliable, but the Hi-Point was cheaper, 9mm, and more compact.

9mm ammo. is reasonably priced and you can get some nice Self-Defense Loads. Or you can just get some Black Talons, put them in your spare mag. in view. Then scare the shit out of anyone who tries to mug you when they see them. Talons aren't any better than FMJs, but the thugs may not know that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I hear they make nice rocks and paperweights
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Mine was more accurate than my Kalashnikov ever was. The only real problem is the Magazine. Outside of that it is a very nice Rifle. The Jam problem is solely linked to the Magazine. The bolt is pretty easy to use once you realize that you have to pull it all the way back until it clicks. If it doesn't click, then it probably won't fire. It is really cheap ($169) and very comfortable to use. It is light compared to an AR or AK. Once the AW Ban sunset, I'd like to see one with a folding stock, threaded barrel and a 17 Round Magazine.

Kel-Tec's seems to be nicer, but is much more expensive and costs almost $400. I could build an AR for slightly more than that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:47:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I've shot it out to 100 Yards with nice groups. That is very good considering it uses 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#24]
The following guns are around the same price or less:

Jennings
Raven (As low as $10)
Talon
Lorcin
Hi-Point
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Considering what's been said here, I think I can sum it up:

Why, when for the same money you can get something real good, even if it has to be a used one?  

You want something that will reward you as you practice with it.

You want something you know will do the job if it coems down to protecting life.

You have a lot of options. Check them out.

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:23:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Flap we all understand the [b]itch[/b] to buy a new toy. we can also apperciate a tight financial situation.

[b] BUT PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOU MONEY ON A HI-POINT[b/]

My advice to you is:
A.
save your money a bit longer for somthing better.

B:
look into somthing like the makarov its basicaly a communist copy of the walther ppk.

They are chambered for both 380 auto and 9x18. Its a rock solid pistol with plenty of after market acessories that are of quality for the money (right around the 200 dollar mark).

Their  extremely reliable they can be found easily at any gun show. Or if you choose one can be had from ordered from a copy of [blue]the shotgun news[/blue].

[b] heres a link with lots of info on mararov pistols[/b]

[url]http://users.mwci.net/~chuckbri/makarov.html[/url]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:11:07 AM EDT
[#28]
No good luck here.
I was testing my friend's gun out.
one word. jamo-matic.

who cares about the warrenty. If you need to keep sending the gun back to have it repaired.

just don't buy the gun!

The cheapest gun I bought was the $150 Cobry PM-11. A PC looking M-11.
If its for home protection and size don't matter it would be a pretty intimidating looking weapon.
Just don't keep it loaded.

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:21:35 AM EDT
[#29]
You guys have talked me into saving more money.  I already have a 12 gauge for the house, so I guess I will save up 400 - 500 bucks for a good gun. Or maybe fill out some credit card apps!! Thats the ticket, this is the USA I don't have to wait to buy something!
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't want to talk anybody out of getting a nicer gun, but I got to wonder if the folks condemning each and every brand of cheapo gun have actually tested what they're talking about. Sometimes I think we've bought into the "junk gun" propaganda of the anti-gunners to some degree.

Back when I had an FFL I bought a Bryco just to see what a $70 .380 looked like. The sights suck, but it's fairly accurate and has never jammed yet.

A guy I work with bought a High-Point 9mm, and we took it out one day after work to try it out. It sure looked and felt funny, but it had better sights and was even more accurate. He told me he bought it because some relative of his has both 9mm and .45 versions and pours box after box of ammo through them on a weekly basis with no problems.

I also remember reading a magazine article once where they somewhat jokingly recommended the Raven .25 over some big-name model (S&W?) for self-defense because when they pulled the trigger on the Raven, at least they could rely on SOMETHING coming out of the barrel.

Of course, for serious use, I personally prefer my $100 Chinese Tokorev.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#31]
That all depends on how many "hits" were made by Harris and Klebold.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, they used:

(1) Post-Ban TEC-DC9
(1) Hi-Point M995C 9mm Carbine
(1) Savage Arms Model 67 Shotgun (Sawed-Off)

I have owned the 2nd two. The Model 67 is a great shotgun and the Hi-Point despite its wierd look actually shoots pretty well. Now, the TEC-9 I have heard is a POS. Then again as I never got to shoot one, I won't confirm that.

If these are supposedly jam-o-matics how were 26 people killed at Columbine.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Flap, the Makarov is an excellent choice as is the FEG PA63, a Walther PPKesque clone out of Hungary.  You can have one for around $90 plus shipping and transfer... so figure less than $150.  It also fires the Makarov round and is rugged as hell and utterly reliable.  I have one and I would not hesitate to trust my life to it.  Other choices include a used FEG Hipower clone for around $200, a used S&W revolver, several of the older S&W semis that are used (careful, some people have had mixed experiences with the Sigma line).

There are options out there.  If this is mainly a home defense purchase, consider a good shotgun and save for a good pistol.
View Quote

i second the FEG Hi-Power clone. i bought mine for $200 new in box. the best $200 dollar pistol money can buy. i liked it better then the Belgium HP i paid $450 for. uses the same magazines and parts. except the 17rd mags advertised in CDNN. i've run about 500 rounds through mine without a problem. i need to run some more.

Hungarian stuff is ok lib
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top