Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2002 9:55:57 PM EDT
My insurance company told me I can't stack  firewood along the back wall of my townhouse.  I have a small, non-fenced yard and need to think of a different means of wood storage.  Thinking about either building or buying some type of shed.  Problem is, I liked having it really close so I could just lean out the back door and grab a couple of logs.  I like to keep a cord on hand, just in case.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:57:21 PM EDT
[#1]
i have been burning wood since i don't remember when,  if you own your own home why would you want a kindling box right next to your most prized thing! maybe it is that you don't have a fence .  just drive a tee-post in the ground and about 8 feet away drive another tee-post,  stack your wood in between the posts and you got a rick of wood.   you buy or cut it seasoned and no matter how much snow or rain it gets it will still burn good.  it'll be 8x8x4ft tall,  get you a good log rack next to your fire place or wood burning stove,   carry your wood in as needed.   you can store good two-three days wood at a time. its a lot of work hauling ashes, wood ect,  but nothing in the world  not central heat wall nor floor furnaces can warm you like a good wood fire..  hope i have been some kind of help ..
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 11:19:10 PM EDT
[#2]
You also don't want the wood next to your house due to bugs that could get into the framing. Avery simple rack can be built, I have one that when empty is very easy to move.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#3]
One word:

TERMITES
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Another word to go with that is diazinon (crystals). Do this and the post thing with a tarp to keep the rain and snow off.

Nothing like 85 F. in the living roon with the windows opened.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#5]
What DeerSlayer said. Termites are bad news for sure. Believe me it's worth it to walk to walk a few feet to get the wood. And you can always keep a little bit indoors so you don't have to go out everytime you want a little wood.

I've burned wood exclusively for a few years now (don't even have a back up furnace). It is a pain in the ass sometimes, but overall I really enjoy it.

To be honest with you, I wouldn't even bother building anything for stacking. I set all mine right on the ground, and stack up from there. If it rains or snows I sometimes tarp it. Works for me.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Not a preach, but just a reminder to clean out your chimney. I say this because I had a chimney fire a few days ago that could have been bad, but had a good respose from the FD. I keep my wood in the garage which is a little further to hual inside.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top