Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2002 4:41:40 PM EDT
What's the count?  How about wall hangers?
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#1]
[img]file:///C:/WINDOWS/Desktop/Deer%20Pics0118.JPG[/img]

My first deer. Very large Doe, taken in Michigan. Got her with my AR15 to the chagrin of many here. Dropped right away. My buddy shot a very small buck with a 30-06 and it ran 50 yards, go figure. How did you do?
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#2]
[img]http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v4/6/12/10/27061210MTWiRZaanb_ph.jpg[/img]

OK I'll try again.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I got my first deer this year too, a sika doe down in Bandera County, TX. It was about 130-140 yards with my .270, and she was facing straight away from me. I put the reticle just between her ears when she lifted her head and she dropped in place. Absolutely not an ounce of meat lost.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I ended up with a 3 pointer. It decent size buck, about a 75yard neck shot, droped him right away with my 243.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:05:47 PM EDT
[#5]
One: my first deer, too. A good-sized doe, taken in Livingston County, MI. 12Ga. slug through the neck, dropped as she was running.

She resides in my freezer now. [:)]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a 9 point with my 30-06 and a doe with my muzzeleloader.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I did not see a single deer while I was hunting, but I almost got on with my new truck.

[kill]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
12Ga. slug through the neck, dropped as she was running.
View Quote

On the run through the neck? Nice shootin'!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Got a nice doe on the first day of the black powder season.

About a 60 yard shot..Right through the boiler room...
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Two 8 points, not wall hangers but good bucks nonetheless, and a doe my first with a handgun.  Good to see alot first time kills, your hooked now, good eatin' too!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I got a 10 point the second week in thick brush with a 30-06.  Weighed 185, but the rack wasn't that pretty due to damaged tines.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Huero, I live in livingston county. Howell to be exact. Got my deer in New Era MI though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#14]
My boy and I both killed(he got a big 3 point, I shot a smaller 2 point half an hour later) opening morning.
His first.[:D]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#15]
A good year for meat! Got 2 bucks & a doe. No wallhangers.Ranges from 25 to 75 yards.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I got dual "skunked".
0 w/bow
0 w/shotgun
Not even any takable shots, I really dont want to discuss this anymore.....
Congrats to all sucessfull this year, especially those first timers. Nothing like your first.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I saw plenty of deer on Saturday and Sunday before opening day...
Monday, all I saw was orange vests...

BTW...
Last year I shot a "once in a lifetime" MONSTER sized 8 pointer on the first Saturday of the open season...
He only scored a 124 1/8 on the B&C scale, but boy was he big...
Still waiting on the shoulder mount...
Shot him 1 time through the vitals at about 30 yards with a 180 grain .30-06, out of a Remington 700...

He shook, and dropped right where he stood...He was dead before he hit the ground...

Funny part of the story is...

I hadn't been out hunting since '91, and had since sold all my deer rifles...
I stopped at the gunshop Friday after work, and came home with a deer rifle / scope package...
Never even had time to sight it in...All I did was remove the bolt, align the bore on something far away, and adjusted the crosshairs to it...
So, Friday night I called my buddy and asked if he got a deer yet, he said no, you wanna go out hunting  tomorrow ? I said sure...
So Saturday at 4am, he took me to some private land where he hunts, and put me in a "good spot"...He then proceeded to his own "better spot", saying he was looking for "Bullwinkle"...
At about 8am, I spotted a buck, but couldn't get a clean/safe shot, so I waited...
After about 1/2 hour, my buddy comes riding back up the trail to pick me up with his ATV, and spooks the buck...  
The buck runs straight at me, and turns about 20 feet in front of me in a full gallop...
I watched him through the scope as he ran by, and as soon as he slowed and paused to look back...

BANG !!! he went down...

My buddy had no idea why I shot, he never even saw the buck, until after it was laying on it's side with a 4ft stream of blood squirting out...

He was so thrilled, he even offered to gut it for me...
What are friends for, right ?

I later found out that he was really pissed because I shot the deer he was watching for several weeks...

...Must have been his "Bullwinkle"

I guess I was in the "better spot"

I felt bad and bought him a case of Molsen...  

O-well, shit happens...[:)]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a pic of me & bullwinkle aroud here somewhere...
I'll see if I can find & post...

Try this...

(all I see here is a gray box)
[img]community.webtv.net/YULLOSE/Bambislayer[/img]

if the pic doesn't work, try the link...

[url]community.webtv.net/YULLOSE/Bambislayer[/url]

The first pic is a 6 pointer shot in '88, the second pic is of me & "Bullwinkle" in the back of my pickup last deer season...
Notice the NRA & ILA stickers on the back window ?

Any of you guys capable of putting my pics on the board here ???
I'm "computer-learning disabled"
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I bagged 4 does. One with the bow at a friend's farm, and the other three on managed rifle hunts. I passed up 23 antlered bucks this year. I'm waiting for the big mature bucks to ramble by! [:D] I usually get a wall-hanger every 3-4 years, and it is worth the wait.

Here's looking at next year! [beer]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Got a big doe during blackpowder season. Never saw a wall hanger. Don't even bother with high power season anymore, too many trigger happy yuppies.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#22]
1 doe opening day. Another 3 days later. 1 shot each with a 243 striker with handloaded 80gr rem core-locks. Made up 50# of smoked summer sausage. If I placed a slab on the top of your head, your tongue would beat a hole through the roof of your mouth.  [:D]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 9:12:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Arrowed a doe in mid November, and lost her, despite a 4 hour attempt at tracking/retrieval. Definitely lung shot, I recovered the arrow, but struck out. That hurt. Three weeks later, I sent a 6 point buck to his reward when he made the biggest mistake of his life by walking under my stand during gun week. 12G/.50cal sabot entered and exited both lungs, and he didn't go 30 yards. Praise God, and the Spirit of the Wild.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 9:50:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Dont rush me, dont get interesting in Alabama until Jan, still got three more weeks till season ends!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Open your free account at webshots.com.
Borg
[img]community.webshots.com/storage/1/v0/1/32/95/28713295HbRgNIYShV_ph.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 11:21:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Open your free account at webshots.com.
Borg
[img]community.webshots.com/storage/1/v0/1/32/95/28713295HbRgNIYShV_ph.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Hey !!! 750+ posts, and thats the first time my mug has been on this website...
I feel like my cherry has been popped...

Hope I don't end up in a mall ninja pic...

Thanks for the info Borg!!!...
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#27]
O-well so much for "webshots.com"...

I have a webtv, NOT a "real" computer...
My options are quite limited...
Most all free photo hosting sites are NOT webtv compatible...
I only figured that out after screwing around with it for 45 minutes...
Really pisses me off...
I hate goddamn computers !!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 1:10:51 AM EDT
[#28]
My sons both got their 1st deer opening weekend in eastern Wa.!
My 11yo got his at 1:30 pm, with a perfect 75yd shot to the spine,right behind the shoulder.
My 9yo shot his at 6:00pm,same spine shot as his brother at 50yds.
Both boys used the same Remington ADL Synthetic Youth M700,
in .243 ,Federal Premium Ammo,with Moly coated Nosler 100grn partition bullet.
I shot a nice 4x4 buck the next day with the same rifle at 411 honest yds! Granted it took me 2 shots,but I hit it twice at 411yds!
Best shot I have ever made on anything.We measured the range afterwards with a Bushnell laser.The .243 was about out of Oomph at that range,and I had guestimated the range at 275 or so, otherwise I may not have attempted the shot so long.
I am very proud of my sons, thier range work and Hunter saftey training sure paid off for them.
[img]http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=164884[/img]

[img]http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=164886[/img]

[img]http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=164891[/img]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Got my first too, a doe, 50yds away, up hill running, took her through both lungs, with my black powder. [:)>]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Well, I've done worse.......1 fat doe.  1 spike (I actually thought it was a doe).  1 really nice cow horn, about 12" tines at almost a perfect curve.  1 basket racked 4 pointer.

No pics though, nothing decent this year.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#31]
No buck tag this year [:(], but I did shoot a doe about 10 minutes after I started hunting.  260 yards with an '06, instant drop.  By far the easiest hunt of my life.

Had to pay my dues in two incredibly gruelling elk hunts.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 9:44:26 AM EDT
[#32]
I took a nice doe (91# gutted). It was a COLD day and I was stand hunting against a rock just below a ridge line. I was in the process of being humbled by my maker by watching the morning sun change the valley from night to day before my eyes. I heard a rustling and saw the doe on the trail below me. I waited (for what seemed like hours but was really seconds) for a clear broadside shot. I hit her with my .243 breaking her back. Quickly finished her with a neck shot. My gun is cleaned and oiled, back in the cabinet. MY deer is in the freezer and the hide being tanned. My family is warm and healthy. Life IS good!
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#33]
I only got out a couple times - but I did finally put my front post on a smallish doe. For a number of reasons I didn't take the shot. She wouldn't move to where I was comfortable with the shot, when she did, she was in taller grass and the light was fading. Thoughts of tracking her in the dark made the final decision and I packed up and went home. Unpacked my gear and noticed I had my gas lantern, but no propane cylinders. :-o Good call. I had my M-14 w/ an IOR 6x42 for subsequent trips, but never saw any more deer.

I gave up the last day of season to help my bro build a guest room for long term company coming in a few days. He owes me big time for this one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Huero, I live in livingston county. Howell to be exact. Got my deer in New Era MI though.
View Quote

I'm grew up in Howell and Brighton. I live on the east side now and work in Detroit. I'm aching to get back out there SOON! Got mine near Parshallville, by a gravel pit around Cranberry Creek -- Allen road and Argentine area.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
12Ga. slug through the neck, dropped as she was running.
View Quote

On the run through the neck? Nice shootin'!!
View Quote

Thanks! -- It surprised even me! Missed the first one, then lead her about 2 feet or so for the second shot. She went down and the first words out of my mouth were "Holy Sh*t!" I was in a good location though, up at the top of a ridge, and she was running with another doe down in a creek bed. I can't wait till next year now. Didn't get to fill my buck tag this year... just wait.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Ok, I wasn't going to brag but here goes:

One five point, small rack but good body size at 150 lbs.

One cowhorn, smaller rack and 120 lbs.

Four nice does, one was 130 pounds plus.  

Yes, the deer are smaller down here in SC.  A 200 lb is a monster.

My son got his first, a button buck that was smaller than my labrador retriever!
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#38]
ZIP---NADAAA----ZILCH,  Donated $146 to the state of West Virginia this year. Ended up with kidney stone that held me from going back for "rifle" doe week, as I had purchased an extra buck tag, that could have gotten a doe if not used. Maybe next year. I do not hunt Ohio, too populated.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Skunked.
Like another, only chance I had was going to camp at 4AM and almost ran over eight nice Elk cows.

Of course they forgot to stay there during shooting hours.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#40]
I had a great season, shooting  my biggest buck, a 120+ class 10 pt with a 20 inch inside spread, field dressed at 182 lbs, on the opening day of shotgun season in NY. I was even happier to find out he eats as well as he looks. Gotta love farm-fed deer! I also got a 5 pt.

I had almost as much fun playing with my CAM-Tracker. I have photos of 10 different bucks on my property, of which I saw maybe 4 during the hunting season (including the 5 pt). It was surprising to see so many bucks traveling through my property. Perhaps 2-3 bucks of the 10 were known to be killed during the hunting season in my area. I have 3 pics of a huge 7 pt that I hope to see next season! At first sight, I thought my 10 pt was the wide racked 7 when he ran over the point next to my stand...

Buck movement, no surprise, really picked up during a 2 week period. I bet you deer hunters can guess when that period is! The biggest bucks on film where nocturnal. Another surprise!

If you guys haven't checked out these remote cameras, do it! It adds a whole new dimension to your deer hunting pleasure.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#41]
[img]http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v4/5/2/70/25150270InHnWShTgI_ph.jpg[/img]

Comanche County Texas
7x57 Win Model 70 XTR Featherweight

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#42]
My hunting party spent two hard days pushing bush without much success - maybe we'd catch a momentary glimpse of an ear or a tail, but that was it.  The next day we tagged *five* deer.  Nailed mine on the run with an M1 Garand.  The meat was so tasty that even my girlfriend (who generally refuses to eat any of my cooking) liked it.  This year's hunt almost makes up for that time I spent all season in the bush with a crossbow and ultimately managed to shoot a tree instead of the deer...
[NI]
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Got an 11-point wall hanger with my slug gun.He weighed 183lbs. field dressed so I'm guessing he weighed approx. 210-215lbs. before.His spread was 21.6 inches across.All my excitement allowed me to drag him out of 2 ft. of ditch water by myself but after struggling for about 20 mins. to get him in the pickup I was lucky enough to find some help from my father-in-law.Good luck to all next year.Now it's time to kill some coyotes.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I got skunked during blackpowder and firearms seasons. I had about 2 days to hunt during balkpowder, and due to heavy rain and work I only got about 11 hours of hunting in during firearms season. [:(!] I did see over 30 turkeys during blackpowder season at ranges as close as 10yds. Saw 3 bucks during turkey season. It's a curse.
I did well during goose season at least....
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Glad so many are killing does!

Kill the does, and we might bring the sex ratio back towards what it's supposed to be.

Fewer does = dominant bucks get most of the action and pass on their genes.
Fewer does = little 1.5 year-old bucks can't get any and save that testosterone for growth.
Fewer does = better rut that's longer, with more intense competition.
Fewer does = quality deer hunting in the future (from Pennsylvania to South Georgia).

Hunters are the original ecologists. So let your climbing stand "hug a tree," and waste more does.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Glad so many are killing does!

Kill the does, and we might bring the sex ratio back towards what it's supposed to be.....
View Quote

Yes, next year I'm not shooting any bucks under 120 B&C. Only antlerless and (if I'm lucky) monsters.
Let them little 'uns grow! [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top