Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2002 10:36:55 AM EDT
I was looking through my Gun List mag and saw an add for the "Special Forces" safe by Sportsman Steel Safe Company.  Has anyone actually seen this safe or do you have any info on the quality of it?  I am looking at getting one in the next few months and all I see locally are Browning.  I like Browning but don't really want to spend the $1600 price tag I've seen here.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I know a guy that bought one about 5 years ago. It is a good safe, without the extra frills (meaning higher price) you will find in a Browning like shiny auto paint.

He got the big 72" high safe with fireliner and electronic lock for $1300, IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Willys,

I have a Sportsman Steel Safe myself.  I got the super duper fireproof option.  Sportsman Steel is one of the few companies that have the real ceramic lining for fireproofing.  SS has the highest fireproof rating of any I looked at when I was shopping.

Warning, they're customer interface was poor.  My safe was about 8 weeks LATE.  Every time I called they told me "it shipped yesterday" or "it will ship today".

Finally got it and like it.  One suggestion, get the internal lighting option.  It's not too outrageous in price but well worth the benefit of the feature.

Shoot me an email if you have any questions.

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#3]
DO NOT buy a safe from Sportsman's Steel Safe Co.!!  Please!  A friend of mine and I each bought on of their biggest safes a few years back. Mine is firelined and has the big door. I've NEVER been treated so poorly. EVER. They STILL haven't made good on my friend's safe (it didn't come as ordered; they didn't care).  When mine was delivered, they left without checking to see if it worked (the door didn't even close all the way!)  I had to call numerous times and wait a week for them to come back out and fix it.  

A complete bunch of idiots run that place.  Then there's the 2 brothers; Tweedle-dumb and Tweedle-dumber!  I IMPLORE YOU, DON't buy from them!  There are plenty of good alternatives.

If you want MORE of the story, email me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#4]
If you want to add lights, look at home depot.  You can buy the rope lighting cut to length and it is pretty cheap.  I definately agree with CMOS, get the lights.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one (12 years) and would get another if needed.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got one of their safes...it was cheap, not real great finish but a good lock and they'll slow down the bad guys and keep your guns protected.   Bad customer service though and not really great quality control.

But....you can get a nice big safe to keep your stuff protected...but, how long will you be keeping the safe?  Will you abandon it at your house if you move and use it as a selling point?

So, cross your fingers and order one.  They aren't a snob safe, Chuck Yeager doesn't own one, and find some friends to help you move it since the truck will drop it off in your driveway and it's up to you to move it from there (these suckers are heavy)
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#9]
BTW, the reason I chose the Sportsman was because of the very high fireproof rating.  I figured if I really wanted to protect all that I have (guns and important papers) I might as well protect them from a fire too.  The Sportsman safes had a significantly higher temperature rating than any of the others I researched.

But yes, customer service stinks.

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got one of the earlier Sportsman Steel safes. It's brown and plain, one of the economy models I bought 8-10 years ago.  500 Lbs empty, moved it in myself with a hand truck but I took the door off first. I am quite satisfied with the quality for the price, I estimate that it's at least 75%(maybe more) as good as a "top of the line" name brand.

The thing about a gunsafe is that if you can fasten it down securely, "almost all" burglars will be stymied by it. You only have to worry about the pros who come equipped to deal with a safe, and the best way to defeat them is to not let them find out you have anything worth stealing. Buy a safe, put your guns in it, and keep quiet about it, in the military that's called "Op/sec", operational security and the concept applies here.

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one of the really big ones they offer. As far as fire proof goes they are excellent, lots of heavy gauge steel on mine and dual locks too. Service was so-so from company and it took several months to be built and delivered. It costs about $700 dollars to have it moved but if you have already dummped close to 4g's into it the cost of moving is negligible.
Next level up in safes I found out runs over 10g's, they have a good product for the cost and they save money by having little customer service.Two years and 2 moves later and still no problems with it so they get an A+ from me on product.
NM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top