Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2002 5:43:24 PM EDT
Her's the deal:

There are two dogs roaming around my neighborhood and chasing other animals (like my wife's cats and my next door neighbor's horse). The dogs appear to be Golden Retrievers, though one of them is huge and looks like he goes ~125#. They both have collars but no tags, and the smaller one recently turned up running around with one of those electric fence collars (did a lot of good, apparently).

I've chased them off my property 3 times now, and my NDN had caught the smaller dog in her barn and took it off to her vet. It has a breeder chip implanted, but the ID wasn't registered. The dog got away from her when she was transporting home (planning on penning it up until an owner could be found).

We live on a private road (20 Acres, 6 houses; between my NDN and me we occcupy 12 of those 20 acreas). The road is attached to a middle-class housing development (actually a series of developments with a few more houses added every year from ~ 1960 - 1999).

I called the local PD for advice when I found the dogs in my driveway last weekend. With two small children (10 & 8) who walk between our house and the NDN to play/babysit their kids (6 & 2), I really don't want those dogs running into the small kids. I had to really be aggressive in scaring them off, and I was very glad I had the 1911 in hand while doing so.

Anyway, according to police dispatch, we have a contract with some guy for part-time animal control, and they would leave him a note. Chances of him turning up when the dogs are around is nil. Meanwhile, I need to keep my kids inside, or watch them walk next door to make sure that these dogs don't turn up. My NDN is also very concerned because she doesn't want these dogs to chase her very expensive horse around.

My instincts lean towards applying a small dose of SS109 to each dog the next time I see them in the 8 acre pasture between my house and the horse barn. I can shoot from my rear deck, which would give me an angled down shot with little or no chance of a stray ricochet going somewhere dangerous.  I've even considering talking to the local CoP first and getting his defacto permission.

What would you guys do?
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 5:48:05 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=83725[/url]

This may give you some ideas!
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Use a shotgun.
Shoot 'em.
Bury 'em.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#3]
lead poisioning? [;)]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Howdy David, sorry to hear about your dog fun.

You've things you can do here, but they can get you into trouble.

Do you know who the owners are?  Didn't sound like it.  How close are everyone's houses?  The noise of a .22 might gather all sorts of complaints...but the old 3-S's still works (shoot-shovel-shut up).

Are they around enough to put out anti-freeze for their enjoyment?  Horses like it too so you have to be careful.

Strychnine in rolled up meat balls also works.

Warfarin in meatballs works too!

Most areas have animal nuisance laws that may give you or your NDN permission to shoot the dogs (we had a horse killed by pet dogs running it into a fence...broke her back, she had to be euthanized...got permission to shoot the dog if it came on the property again (22's worked great and just slowly enough for the owner to spend a lot of money at the vets).  They were also hit with a civil suite for the death of the mare which they lost.

Cruel suggestions? Sure are, but the dogs aren't worth your kids safety and peice of mind.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Did any of you guys see the TV story on Dateline about the GA cop who shot the dog next door with his AR, AND GOT OFF?

His daughter was bitten (they claimed "mauled", but they've never really seen mauled) by the dog next door.  Kid gets stitches and comes home, traumatized.  Dog isn't taken away by AC, so the cop starts getting agitated.  The moron then calls AC and starts leaving threatening messages about shooting the dog.  Then, about 11 days later, the cop goes to his gun cabinet, grabs his (personal) bushy, walks out back and smokes SPOT.

Best part, the jury lets him go, but not before attacking the lady next door and Animal Control.  I was laughing my ass off.  Only in Georgia (Hey, I lived there for a year, so I can bash 'em.)
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#6]
You could drop them off at the local humane society.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#7]
One of my distant neighbors (about 1/4 mile away) shoots in his back yard. He owns about 20 acres and is down in a little valley, so nobody seems to mind, and it makes the sound of the ocaisional gunshot unremarkable.

Wouldn't want to do the antifreeze thing, since between my neighbor and my wife we've got a half-dozen pet cats roaming around.

As far as taking them to the local SPCA, I could catch the smaller dog, if I was careful, but I have no interest in trying to wrestle a 125 lb dog that doesn't know me and gets defensive when he sees people.

Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#8]
You could call the police and tell them of the impending dead situation, and maybe they will agree to come wrestle the big dog into their car. I don't really have compasion for the dogs so much, but a family or kid somewhere might be heart-broken to find his dog was shot. But, then again, the owners may have no regard for them anyway.

I just keep my Basset Hound indoors and safe from the cruel world outside. Besides, nobody could bring themselves to shoot her if they saw her - shes too cute.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I say: FIRE FOR EFFECT!

Wife says: First off, hubby just likes to see things blown up..anyways...seeing as the dogs have been chasing horses and has shown aggressiveness toward people, as long as the dog(s)are on your property,(or NDN, if they dont mind) you have every right to shoot the dog(s), now that is in the majority of the states i have looked up, i would get online and see what the laws are in you city/county,but more than likly, as long as the dog(s) is aggressive toward people or other animals its considered selfdefence..as for the owners of the dog, they should of seen it comming if they let their dog(s) run loose...thats my input on it, believe me, i could go on ALOT more [;)]lol...the wife

R35
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife, daughters and I were driving down the highway this afternoon. Just off the shoulder of the road, two coon hounds were trying to take down a young doe. 9 year old saw it first and freaked. When I saw what was happening, I pulled over, hit the flashers, jumped out and started down the embankment.
The doe was trying to get up to the road, but her right front leg was useless. When I yelled at the dogs, the blue tick turned from her towards me and started my way. Had the G23 aimed between his eyes without even realizing I'd drawn. Both dogs turned and ran into the woods, stopping about 20 yards in. Dawned on me I was standing beside a highly traveled road, with weapon in hand. Reholstered, called the Sherrifs Dept, and asked for Game Warden. Dispatch gave me his home number. He said he'd be there in 15 minutes.
When he arrived, the doe was still standing about 20 yards off the highway, too scared to go back into the woods, too injured to run. I pointed out the dogs, and the does front leg. He pulled out his binos, looked her over, said it was a bullet wound in her leg, and she was all bit up on her back end. He got out a slug gun, waited for traffic to clear, and put her out of her misery. The dogs took off like they'd been shot.
He asked me if I wanted her, told him no. I asked him if I would of got in trouble if I would of shot the dog. "You'd of been defending yourself, right?"
Would I have got in trouble for putting the deer down? "No, she was injured pretty bad and it might have prevented an accident. Just make sure you call it in right away."
I walked back to my truck, got in and waited for the questions. They never came. I guess the wife was answering any and all questions the girls had as it was unfolding.
My wife asked me if I knew the lady in the car. Asked her "what car?" Said while I was drawing down on the dog, a lady pulled in and told her to tell me thanks for doing something. She'd stopped and yelled at the dogs and blew her horn, but they just ignored her and kept attacking the deer. My wife, bless her heart, told the lady she needs to get a gun. Said the lady just nodded. Maybe another sheeple just woke up.    
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You could drop them off at the local humane society.
View Quote

Naw.
That would make too much sense.

Wouldn't be MACHO like poisoning them with anti-freeze.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd contact Golden Retriever Rescue and see if they'd be willing to try and trap them.  A rescue org will often work with you better than AC will.

Warfarin/Antifreeze is an extremely cruel and inhumane thing to do.  It's an awful death.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top