Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2002 4:19:32 PM EDT
I have come down with severe tendonitis (in my arms) and can't work out for several weeks.

Doing abs aggrevates my arms. I have to keep them straight as much as possible. Do these things give an effective ab workout or are they just another fitness fad?

Any help appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 4:26:41 PM EDT
[#1]
A guy on one of the local radio stations here got one and totally bashed the shit out of it.

He said he used it for 2 months and it didnt do anything.

I really dont see how it could be effective.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#2]
TV news tested them and said that they have no effect on muscle development.

Said that they may work for rehab or recovery from injuries.

Also stated that to have any effect on muscle tone at all, the pain level from the shocks would be extreme.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 4:56:39 PM EDT
[#3]
They may help for rehab. Actually, in high school I dated the daughter of a professor at Cal Poly who was at the forefront of that electromuscular therapy research. This was in the mid-70's. Everyone thought the guy was FOS, but as it turned out he was onto something. Who would have thought.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#4]
they were proven to be a fraud 15 years ago.. how soon people forget!
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like a sucker-ized version of the TENS unit, which a Dr. gave my wife for her back.  It runs on a 9volt battery with four pads (two sets of +/-).  You can adjust for frequency and amplitude.  Works great for chronic back pain and soreness.

Interesting story:  I tried it out once and went to work.  Unfortunately, one of the leads disconnected from the pad, and the lead fell down around the front (underneath) my pants.  It made contact with my right nut, and began shocking the hell out of me.  In a panic, I grabbed the controls and began twisting dials.  Unfortunately, the knobs are positioned so that the natural tendency is to INCREASE the power.  Hurt like hell.

Just sharing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 5:59:30 PM EDT
[#6]
There are estem machines that do work. Physical theraptsts use them and they are proven to work.
However the POS they sell on TV do not supply the proper voltage and current level to cause the type of muscle contraction to stimulate muscle growth. The ones on TV are closer to a TENS unit (also used in PT)which is used for pain control.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Doing abs aggrevates my arms
View Quote

Do you exercises without using your arms, such as flutter kicks, leg raises, etc. Also do your sit-ups/crunches with your arms up like a boxer. You'll need to weight down you feet though (try slipping them under the front of the couch).

I hate working abs almost as much as I hate running.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#8]
My brain does this to my eyes when I seee that crap on tv[rolleyes].....
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#9]
On a lighter(?) note, tin foil hatters list this as one of the top three possible causes of Bruce Lee's mysterious death, along with Asian Organized Crime and the occult.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't need em'.

It was found that when people had broken a leg or an arm, if they exersized, there was much less muscle loss than if they were quiet.

If you continue to exersize using your legs, you'll still be keeping up your muscle tone.  Just give your arms the break they need or the damage will be permanent.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#11]
You callin' me fat GLOCKshooter? lol

Thanks for the input. I only considered buying one because someone was selling a model for like $20 bucks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#12]
well a buddy of mine has one.  we got drunk over there one night and decided to try it out.  i was quite tanked and that thing still shocked the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:43:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You callin' me fat GLOCKshooter? lol

View Quote

Actually, I'm not that quick.  It is kind of funny if you read it that way though, glad you pointed it out.  But actually I was noting that although the whole Bruce Lee/electronic muscle stimulation thing is pretty strange, it may be bad taste for me to joke about someone dropping dead from mysterious causes.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:50:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I had a period where I overexercised in a weightlifting exercise plan. I gave myself tendonitis in both my elbow joints and could barely hold a 5 pound weight without it shaking (at it's worst).

The therapy I went through was going into my doctors office 3 times a week, and having those electrical pads placed on both sides of the arm. I sat through 15 minutes of the electricity making the muscles twitch like crazy every time. It took along time but it did get better, and I was able to resume weightlifting.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:55:36 AM EDT
[#15]
"A fool and his money are soon parted."

-- Unknown

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top