Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2009 2:44:48 AM EDT
Alright guys....here's what I'm goin for. I have pigs on my property...LOTS of them....sometimes we're making 200+ yd shots..... I want something in a varmint style barrel/upper.  I'm looking for a little more accuracy.  With that said...we do some walking down in the woods as well.  So I want it to be manageable.  So that rules out the 24" all together and probably the 20" as well.  

I like the RRA Varmint A4...but am debating on the 16" or the 18"  

As far as a lower....I'm still looking...although I like Magpul's UBR and PRS buttstocks.  I also like the looks of their lower receiver but don't know much about it.  

Optics.....I'm debating.....good glass, i.e. Leup or something similar...or a 4x + ACOG as we tend to do some piggy hunting at night.  I'm just not sure if the ACOG would be adequate on a longer range rifle such as the one I'm trying to build.  Suggestions? Advice?  Experience w/ the more magnified ACOGs?  Is it worth it? Will it do the job?

If you've got pictures of a similar rifle, feel free to post em here.

Thanks for the help fellas!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 4:33:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm thinking something like this possibly......

Link Posted: 2/25/2009 6:09:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm trying to decide between building a 16" mid-length
or a full size 20" AR.

We will be hunting pigs in an area with mixed terrain also.

I'm leaning towards the 16" middy because it would lend itself to a wider variety
of uses, like carbine classes for example.

I do have a soft spot in my heart for the full size AR15/M16 rifle design.
The 20" AR's shoot so nice.

<–––––– I've still got the "musket" in the picture to satisfy my full size rifle needs however.......
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 6:30:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 20" Varminter from Rock River.  It is basically the same as the photo except I have an A2 stock.

The thing is a tack driver....but it is HEAVY.  I mean I don't like carrying the damn thing from my car to the range let alone trapsing through the woods.

I think your second though of just going with a 16" would serve you fine.  Much more manageble and still plenty accurate.

As far as scopes....I am not certain...I have average glass on my rifles and they work just fine.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe I will go w/ the 16".  I just wonder how much muzzle velocity I'd be giving up when compared to the 18".
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#5]
6.8 SPC?
.223 WSUM?
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#6]
guns are icky
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
guns are icky

Well then....today is your lucky day.  I will gladly drive the 2 1/2 hours down to Sinton and remove all of those "icky" guns of yours from your home so that you may be un-icky-fied.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2009 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#8]

White Oak Armament 18" with rifle length gas.

YHM Lightweight Free Float forearm

Burris FullField II 3-9X Mil-Dot

I have since replaced the A2 buttstock with a CTR.

It's a little front heavy, especially without the A2, but it shoots very well.

I prefer 20rd mags for prone/benchrest shooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top