Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2002 1:44:23 PM EDT
A small single engine plane crashed into a high rise building in Tampa Florida.  No other details at this time.  CNN and FOX have covered it a little.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Fox just showed video of the plane sticking out of the building.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, it looks like the terrorists are down to their retarded cells.  First the guy who tries to blow up the plane with matches to ignite his explosives, now a little cessna  breaks a window on a hi-rise building.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Gotta love Florida.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Aye, but what was in dee plane?
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Bank of America building with a small Cessna on a Saturday afternoon?

Doubt if this is the act of terrorists.  

Not too far from the private airport on Davis Island. More likely an operator error or medical case.  Lots of old folks there flying, you know.

Not that there is anything wrong with that! ;-)

Edited to add that Fox has just stated that the aircraft was being pursued by a Coastie helicopter, so it could be a failed evasion (see operator error)
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#6]
NBC has an eye witness who is reporting that a Coast Guard helicopter was following the plane very close as plane approached the town.  Also that the plane never even tried to change coarse.  It just flew straight into the first tower it came to.  Also teh plane supposedly took off from a small airport in St. Petersburg.

I don't think this was a terrorist attack.  I'm thinking someone possibly committing suicide and wanted to go out 9/11 style.  There has to be a huge spike in the suicide rate this year.  I've been hearing about suicides and attempts of friends of people that I talk to very frequently lately.  The holidays were rough on a lot of people.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Judging from the coast guard statement saying he ignored orders to land and flew directly into the building, it's either a failed drug run, or terrorism.

Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Soem reports have it as a 15 year old pilot, maybe another "American Taliban"?
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

While I DO hope nobody was hurt in the building, I must say at least the little shit didn't go into his school and start shooting.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#10]
According to MSNBC it was a student pilot that took off without instructor and clearance from tower. A Coast Guard helicopter was following it before it crashed into the building.

Bank of America sucks raw sewage anyways, so its not big loss.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#11]
15-year old English student.  Stole the plane from the St. Petersburg/Clearwater airport and ignored all instructions from the Coast Guard.  I work in the building next to it.  I'll have a good view come Monday.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 3:10:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree with the other guy on here...Suicide attempts around the holidays are high especially if he was a teenager, those school years are typically rough for teens(they feel that they have nothing to live for, etc..)Teen obviously didn't want to live any longer and figured he'd do it 9/11 style..Still scary..

Another plane crash in Colorado also..No word on that yet either..
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#13]
While I have not logged thousands of hours, I am an Commercial Aviation major and an instrument pilot and I can tell you one thing... Pilots don't just run into buildings on a perfectly clear day. Clearly not operational error. Either this nut-job was a terrorist or he was suicidal.

Link Posted: 1/5/2002 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#15]
[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,42286,00.html[/url]
[img=left]www.foxnews.com/images/44610/2_21_planecrash.jpg[/img=left]
Saturday, January 05, 2002

TAMPA, Fla. — A small plane crashed into a building in downtown Tampa on Saturday evening after a student pilot took off without permission and ignored orders to land, according to authorities.

Federal Aviation Authority spokesman Scott Brenneer said the plane was flown by "a student pilot who did not have permission to fly the aircraft." An official in Washington said the pilot was 15 years old — a year too young to qualify as a solo pilot.

The non-commercial, single-engine aircraft hit the west side of the Bank of America building on floor 20 of the 40-story building, Tampa Fire Department spokesman Captain Bill Wade said.

A Cessna 172 took off without clearance from St. Petersburg-Clearwater Airport, and an air traffic controller notified the coast guard, according U.S. Coast Guard spokesman Ed Parkinson. A coast guard helicopter intercepted the plane and ordered the pilot to land at a small nearby air field; instead, the pilot flew into the building.

Coast Guard Lt. j.g. Charlotte Pittman said she had no doubt that the pilot understood the signals given by the coast guard helicopter.

The crash occurred shortly after 5 p.m. Police and fire crews were on the scene, although the building did not appear to be on fire, according to Tampa Police Department spokesman Joe Durkin.

Pieces of the plane fell to the sidewalk after the crash. During the week, that street would have been filled with people, Wade said.

The plane is registered to a St. Petersburg flight school, according to Wade.

Eric Reyes, 25, said he was stopped at a traffic light when the plane crashed.

"I saw a big cloud of smoke," Reyes said. He said he saw one wing fall and hit the ground, followed moments later by the other wing.

Bank of America, based in Charlotte, N.C., is the third-largest U.S. bank.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
View Quote

Edited to paste picture
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:40:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or likely a very confused Dylan Klebold wannabe,  who wanted to go out in a blaze of "glory" (such as it was) and take some others out with him? Next nutty guy/kid will probably dive-bomb his school....

*sigh* -depite what the gun grabbers say, if people can't get guns, they'll still kill, somehow. [rolleyes]

"Some people never see the light until it shines through the bullet holes."
- --C. D. TAVARES
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#17]
There's more:
[url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20020105/ts/plane_crash.html[/url]

Capt. Kirstin Reimann at the North American Aerospace Defense Command said two F-15s were scrambled from Homestead Air Reserve Base as a precaution, but declined to say whether they reached the scene before the crash.

Tita said the plane briefly breached air space at MacDill Air Force Base, home of Central Command, which is running the war against terrorism in Afghanistan (news - web sites).

View Quote

So much for improvements in our air defense...
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There's more:
Capt. Kirstin Reimann at the North American Aerospace Defense Command said two F-15s were scrambled from Homestead Air Reserve Base as a precaution, but declined to say whether they reached the scene before the crash.

Tita said the plane briefly breached air space at MacDill Air Force Base, home of Central Command, which is running the war against terrorism in Afghanistan (news - web sites).

View Quote

So much for improvements in our air defense...
View Quote

Yeah, really! Scramble fighters out of Homestead, 350 miles away, whule the small plane flies right past Mac Dill? And MacDill's fighters were...where?

Figure with CENTCOM there they must have at least a couple of fighters sitting around, eh?
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:13:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I had to sit on the Tampa/St. pete runway for an hour and a half because of that little prick!  
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:29:02 PM EDT
[#20]
what a waste of a real nice aiplane... good thing the little smuck will not be wasting  air again though...pat
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 12:57:42 AM EDT
[#21]
It is the new Taliban training program.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 3:56:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:01:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
what a waste of a real nice aiplane... good thing the little smuck will not be wasting  air again though...pat
View Quote

No kidding. I'm STILL trying to get my license! I wonder if the kid was a part of the Be-A-Pilot program?
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Ok, I'm in my office now.  I came to gawk at the scene.  I'm on the 27th floor of the building across the street (the 'beer can' for those familiar with downtown Tampa).  Poor guy that used that office... everything is trashed.  My .02...  Judging from the location of the crash and the angle he hit the building, I believe he was trying to go between two of the larger ones and completely misjudged the distance.  He was being chased and he must have panicked.  Either way, he's dead and we'll never know the true story.  If he had turned left just a couple of degrees, he would have hit my boss' office  (Damn!)
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Now they're reporting that he left a suicide note indicating that he supported OBL.  Here's hoping the rest of the Al Qaeda network is as stupid.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Now they're reporting that he left a suicide note indicating that he supported OBL.  Here's hoping the rest of the Al Qaeda network is as stupid.
View Quote

Dylan Klebold with a turban.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top