Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2009 4:56:58 PM EDT
Seriously. If I have my phone on the desk, I always know when it's about to ring because the speakers get all fuzzy, and crackle.

Link Posted: 2/24/2009 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#1]
THEY are watching...
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#2]
radio frequency interference
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, they do that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#4]
The same reason your speakers probably crackle in that oh so familiar pattern every once in a while when your cell phone 'pings' the nearest tower. I've had it fuck with monitors and televisions too if you put them in the right spot.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 4:59:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Because your phone is leaking RF all over the place and the wires on the speakers act like antennas and pick it up. Some phones leak more than others. My old HP iPaq 6945 was ridiculously leaky. My HTC Tilt barely leaks at all. Also, speakers with higher-quality wires allegedly have less propensity to do this, but I wouldn't know first-hand sinse I only have cheap-ass speakers.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#6]
GSM phones are in a standby mode most of the time, the nearby towers know what radial they are on relative to the tower.  When the tower is sending a "ring" signal to your phone it momentarily boosts power along that radial and that's why you get that increased noise/interference.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 5:00:24 PM EDT
[#7]
i'll bet you have a nextel? our car radio/PA system would go crazy if we were about ready to get chirped on the nextel, or if we drove near someone talking on a nextel
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#8]
yep rf interference
mine do it
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 5:01:03 PM EDT
[#9]
You're hearing RF interference caused by the initial connection.  

My wife has a tape player adapter going into her iPhone that just loooooves to amplify interference.  You can hear the same kind of "static" when it hooks up to the 3g, which on the iPhone is about every ten seconds.  Sticking a ferrous core on the wire helped some, but it's still pretty annoying.

ETA- the interference in this case is compounded by poor grounding and an input line that is too long and very thin.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#10]
It's just the switch from monitoring your internets to your cell phone-call the FBI and file a complaint .they will put a new filter on it and it will not do that anymore.well,that's what I did anyway
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
THEY are watching...

This.

The microtransmitters that the CIA placed in your cel phone are being detected by your computer speakers.

Watch your cornhole.

Link Posted: 2/24/2009 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#12]
That's the phone tap starting the recording at the ATF van...
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#13]
http://www.smartdevicecentral.com/article/that+crazy+gsm+buzz/199379_1.aspx

For as long as I've used cell phones, I've heard the buzz. I'm not referring to the kind of buzz that keeps you in the "know." Instead, this particular kind of buzz is slowly but surely driving me insane. Whenever I spend a little time near electronic equipment with a speaker – anything from an alarm clock, to a television, to a high-end pair of studio monitor speakers – I can hear the buzz.

If you're on Cingular or T-Mobile, chances are you know what I'm talking about: the dreaded interference sound from your cell phone. I've experienced this interference with many different GSM phones, over a wide range of speakers. Whenever a phone is within close proximity of a speaker, the buzzing occurs every 55 minutes or so. The phone also buzzes continuously, almost maniacally, whenever someone calls or sends a text message.

This situation is affecting the way I do business. For example, whenever I receive a phone call I have to move away from my desktop PC, where I'm working, in order to take the call. Often I keep my phone on a shelf halfway across the room, if I need to have my speakers on for whatever reason (such as listening to music while working – hello?). Of course, that makes it inconvenient to answer the phone without having to get up and walk.

In many cases, the buzzing becomes so loud that anyone in the room stops what they're doing to ask me where it's coming from. In my car, it's particularly annoying. While driving on the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway here in NYC, I hear about 10 seconds worth of buzzing every minute or so through my car's speakers as the phone jumps from tower to tower, even if the car stereo is turned off.

Conference call systems in conference rooms even do it. At a recent LG press event, I was amused when I heard the buzz from someone's phone blast through a nearby PA speaker at full volume, momentarily interrupting the person speaking at the podium.

The cause of this buzzing has to do with GSM's "time division" nature. The ever-knowledgeable Keith Nowak, spokesperson for Nokia, explains it as follows: "[[With GSM]] the RF transmitter is turned on/off at a fast rate, and that 'pulsing' is often picked up by nearby devices that don't have good RF shielding. In the case of GSM the pulse rate is 217 Hz, which can be easily heard."

Verizon and Sprint CDMA phones don't have this buzzing sound because their transmitter is on most of the time, according to Nowak. As a result, the pulsing effect generally doesn't occur.

"The interference to other devices is worse the further the phone is from the cellular tower," Nowak continued. "This is because the network requires the phone to transmit at a higher level the further away it is from the tower. In addition, the interference to a device will be worse the closer the phone is to the device being interfered with."

What about the intermittent triggering? "The occasional interference heard when the phone is not in use is due to the 'page repeat period' of the network," Nowak said. "This time varies a lot depending on the network setting, but the interference every 55 minutes is due to the network checking to see if your phone is still on and in the area."

Phone vendors are aware of the problem, and fortunately for us, a solution is in the works. "Because cellular phones operate at frequencies so close to audio bands, it is not uncommon for them to occasionally drop into the range where the radio waves can be translated into sound waves by a mock radio receiver," said Vicki Livingston, the director of marketing for 3G Americas. "A new standard is currently available in draft form which provides guidance to the manufacturers of products that can act as unintentional radio receivers so they can build shielding in to their designs."

That bodes well for future phone designs. Unfortunately, there is virtually nothing you can do about it now. Currently, there's no way to avoid the buzz unless you switch to Verizon or Sprint. Of course, this really shouldn't have to be your only option since GSM (not CDMA) is the cellular network standard used in the rest of the world.

Nevertheless, I couldn't take it anymore and just switched to Verizon. Ah, the sweet sound of silence.

Jamie Lendino is the editor of Smart Device Central.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
"A new standard is currently available in draft form which provides guidance to the manufacturers of products that can act as unintentional radio receivers so they can build shielding in to their designs."

Um, fuck you dude. (eta- not you Longhorn.. "AT&T" in this case)

I'm going to go build and market an electronic device that responds poorly to CDMA interference, just to say fuck you to these arrogant blistered cock harbors.

"Our shit interferes with your shit, so you fix your shit."  What assholes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#15]
It's worst for Nextels and Blackberries.
You should hear it on a wireless mic amplified through a PA.

We make the talent take them off.
Some of the big shots won't.

Then they complain about the audio.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top