Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2002 11:50:50 AM EDT
I've got National Geographic Topo! CD-ROM and I need something better than the mouse to draw with the cursor. Something like a pen device so my tracing can be accurate. I suppose you have to unhook the mouse and use the same plug-in. What's available?
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#1]
At the pink barf computer store I go to, they were selling these drawing pads (a little smaller than a mousepad) for like $20. IIRC it plugged inline with the mouse. I was gonna see if I could get one, but when I went back the next week they were all gone. I wish I remembered who made those things.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Take a look at the Wacom Intuos USB drawing tablets. A lot of the schools use them in their graphics arts programs.

Here is a fairly moderately priced tablet.

[url]www2.warehouse.com/product.asp?pf%5Fid=IN9272&cat=pc[/url]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#3]
mattja,

moderately priced at $349 !!!!

No, I'm looking for something akin to a mouse in function and price only it works like a writing instrument (pen, pencil) would.

I did some searching on the internet and all I can find are devices called Graphics Tablets ranging in price from about $80-400. Is this the only way to have the versatility of a writing tool in a mouse function mode?

If this is the only option, how about a mouse with a trackball for increased controllability as a tracing device?
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#4]
punkatomic, yeah, those suckers are expensive, especially the good ones like the one I mentioned. They are pressure sensitive, which allows you to treat the pen almost like a paint brush.

I thought I saw some cheaper ones at warehouse.com too. Around $99?

Yep, graphics tablets. My wife used them during her graphics arts major at college. I don't know if there's anything else available.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#5]
stick with wacom. best things going. this might be better for you.
[url]http://www.wacom.com/graphire/index.cfm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a little  (4" x 5" surface) Wacom pen tablet/mouse combination.  Bought it at Comp USA for about $80.  My daughter wanted it for tracing.  It uses USB and the old mouse still works.  Works pretty good.

It has a lift-up transparent top that you can slide a paper under and trace.  Has a scroll wheel on top of the mouse.  The pen has erase function on the other end and a button for right-click or double-click.

I like it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the replies, I bought a Logitech Marble Mouse with a trackball. It will trace better than a mouse so I'll see how I like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top