Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2002 10:14:57 AM EDT
My daughter got her report card and it stinks. I am disappointed by it and know she could do MUCH better than that.
What I need to know is, does anyone know of a good online tutoring and/or learning course? Her learning level is at 6th grade.
If it costs, I don't mind. I know there are programs on disk that are useful but I'm looking more for a virtual interaction, possibly with other kids as well so it makes learning fun.
Let me just sum this down. She's getting bored with school and we have to make learning a more funner experience for her.

Thanx

Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:22:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I suggest going and talking to the teachers first.  After all, they are the ones who gave her the stinky grades.  Who knows, it could just be that the teacher has something against your kid.  Bad grades are discouraging at a young age though, so I can see how your kid might start to shy away from school.  Your best bet now is to give her all of the encouragement and support she needs.  Explain to her that getting "bad" grades does not necessarily make her a bad person.  Point out her strong suits and attributes and make sure she gets out of her current  slump.  Tutoring and such is good as a secondary form of enforcement.  I just figure its more important to make sure that she is emotionally confident rather than just looking good on paper.  The class "genious" in my elementary school didn't amount to much after grade school.  Just turns out that his parents had hired lots of tutors and stuff so he was able to learn his ABC's faster than the rest of us.  Good luck, and remember, your words as a parent count a hundred times more than some underqualified teache puts on a report card.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#2]
She is either being picked on or is getting board.  My younger brother was picked on in school and his grades suffered.  I did my best to take care of that situation :).  For me it was boardom.  If boardom is the case you might want to talk to the counselor.  Maybe bringing her up a grade and challenging her more is what is needed.  I decided my softmore year to talk to the counselor and they made me a senior with half the day spent in classes at the community college.  I had average grades as a softmore.  I just didnt feel like I needed to apply myself.  Anyway, look into all that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#3]
50cali, we have been through the teacher discussion proportion and my daughter openly admitted that she was just bored. The interactive thing was something that came about from school discussions. We all came to the conclusion we need to make learning more fun for her and I think this sort of thing would draw her interest.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:33:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I haven't look lately, but there is also software on CDs that you can buy from computer stores, that can help your child learn some of this stuff.  A tutor is another option. I'm afraid that a lot of this stuff she is learning i school is just plain boring with no relavance at the moment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top