Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2002 7:34:03 PM EDT
Any legal types out there know the steps needed, or anyone know a good site to check out? I need to set one up in Oregon.

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]

Edited to add the group will be this one [url]www.dredgeearthfirst.com[/url]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#1]
getting drunk but I'll get this out prior to bed.

setting up a state non-profit is usually quite easy.
shouldn't cost more than 1k in michigan, shouldn't be much more in your state. if it is look for lawyer number 2 to play them off.

getting a 501 (c)(x) for tax free status?
Hard as hell and expensive.
We recommend a third way to handle donations to everyone but groups that KNOW they will be handling the big bucks right off the bat (minority funnel groups mostly)

For everyone else, set up the group with the state, and find a local UW or community chest or something that's 501(c)(x), and play them off aginst each other to get the handling fee under 10%, and have them taking in and deal out the cash (with your board being their 'fund panel') and have the money going to your group's activites.  The only hard part is getting the donors to add "UWFP" or "CCFP" to their checks.
You guys are happy because you didn;t bet 20k in my legal fees that you could get 501ed, and the united way is happy cause they got 10% of your cash to spend on art, wine, and trips to new york, and I'm happy cause you will send your business to me cause i'm smart and in 10 years when your group gets big I can collect the 20k to try for a 501 anyway half the time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#2]
good info, thanks!

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top