Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2002 5:46:30 PM EDT
This question is for you woodworkers out there.

I just bought a Grandfather clock in kit form. Its made out of cherry. Years ago you could get the same kits cut from walnut but they have stopped offering walnut...too expensive.

Anyway I like walnut better so I'm considering staining the cherry a dark walnut color.

Is this a NO NO?
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats fine, there are different shades of stain for cherry, just use a dark one. Always test it out first on scrap wood or an inconscipous place. There are many different types of finishes, stain is just one of them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Noooo - it's a crime against nature (literally.)

For decades, people have "stained" (more like painted if you ask me) cherry dark to make it look older, or look like walnut.

Cherry is absolutely gorgeous with a clear finish - gloss or satin. It will get darker as it ages anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top