Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2002 1:41:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 1:50:04 PM EDT
[#1]
That is too bad, I don't know what could have happend, but I would not like to lose one of my cats.  7 years is really not that old for a cat, I don't even have a good idea.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:27:46 PM EDT
[#2]
M4, sorry for your loss. My wife is a vet tech. She is checking sled racing dogs right now for race tomorrow. When she gets home tonight I'll have her post to you.

The wife told me a story a few weeks ago of a lady holding her cat while in a rocking chair. The lady is petting the cat and all of a sudden the cat just dies in her arms, the kicker is this was a young cat like yours.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry for your loss M4.
Hope you find the answer to your question.
Losing a critter, of any flavor, is always  painfull.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think that your cat choked, it is really hard for animals to choke on objects in their throat. Two separate passages, one for breathing and one for eating. We have one for both.

Maybe your cat had a heart attack, congenital defect.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Lg. Animal Vet here, it is hard to tell without a necropsy on the animal.  I could speculate on the cause but I would be here for a while because I do not specialize in sm animals.  On a similar note, Dakota our dog here at the clinic died today.  Nothing special about it.  Came back from lunch and he followed me in the door...I heard a loud thud that was his head hitting the floor and he was dead.  I am really curious to the cause of this because he didn't show any clinical signs, but don't have the heart to cut into the old boy.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a buddy who is a vet. For a six pack, he let me "Fix" my own cat with him telling me what to do. I can "fix" your cat for a sixer! [;)]

BTW, the cat lived.

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a buddy who is a vet. For a six pack, he let me "Fix" my own cat with him telling me what to do. I can "fix" your cat for a sixer! [;)]

BTW, the cat lived.
View Quote

Hope you've had more than one "sixer" tonight as that might be an excuse for your post.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I feel for you.  I am not a Cat or a Dog person specifically, but I do have a Cat at the moment, and I can understand your feelings...

Just tell yourself that your puddy is in Kitty Heaven running through the the fields like a kitten...
Click this its [b]TOO CUTE[/b]
[url]http://members.aol.com/bishop042/kitty.jpg[/url]

BISHOP

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry M4, did not mean YOUR cat.

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#12]
This is Idaho-ar15's wife.

It sounds like he probably had an aneurism or some other sudden thing like that.  Only a post-mortem could tell you for sure.  Cats generally don't have strokes or heart attacks, but a blood vessel bursting is not unheard of.  

A friend of mine was holding her cat the other day and he just fell over and died.  PM showed a ruptured aorta.  Very very strange, and rare.  These things can't be predicted, and they really hit hard because they're so unexpected.

I am sorry for your loss.  I have two cats, a Maine Coon and a generic barn cat that I raised on a bottle.  I can't imagine losing either of them that way.

You might want to notify the cat's breeder.  Many times they like to keep records of this sort of thing for their genetic histories.

Huskies4all (sm. an. vet tech)
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I would like to offer my condolences on the loss of your cat.  My girlfriend and I had to endure a tragic and sudden loss the past year with our cat Misty. We still miss her.  May the memories of your "fur baby" continue to live on in your heart.  Again sorry to hear about your loss.   DAROGUE1
_______
www.i-love-cats.com/meow/cinandkyle
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:27:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top