Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2002 10:05:41 AM EDT
Not sure of the details...heard it on the radio just now. Will try and confirm it...

Hotdamn boyz...Gaytors are going down.
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 10:08:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's the link...he's going to the Pro's...anybody guessing Minnesota???

Spurrier resigns as Gators coach

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Steve Spurrier has resigned as head football coach at the University of Florida, ESPN has learned.

The school is expected to issue a news release at 2 p.m. ET today, and will hold a news conference at 5 p.m.

Earlier on Friday the Gainesville Sun reported on its Web site that Spurrier would resign to make himself available for an NFL head coaching job.

Check back to ESPN.com soon for more details.

Must be the water down here...
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#2]
My respect for teh U of F football prgram has just risen measurably.

Goodbye Steve Skuzzier.

Go Vols!!!!!!

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep!  He is out of Florida officially at 5:00pm today.  He got a staff meeting with the assistant coachs at 1:30pm to let them know of his resignation.  Sad news for Florida. I am sure the NFL can use him, good luck to him.

[url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/news/2002/01/04/spurrier_resigns_ap/[/url]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to the Bucs.  My theory is he couldn't take the humiliation he suspected he would suffer when the Canes beat the Gators in Gainesville in September... [;)]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:15:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My theory is he couldn't take the humiliation he suspected he would suffer when the Canes beat the Gators in Gainesville in September... [;)]
View Quote

I like it!!!!!!!!

I like ANYONE who beats U of F.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#7]
It's just not going to be as much fun kicking the gator's ass next year without Stevie-the-Visor as head coach.  Their recruting will be a cluster-**** of major proportions!  Couldn't happen to a better bunch of assholes.  GO CANES!
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Spurrier is a whiny, cry baby. He whined about my Noles supposed "late hit" tactics 2 years in a row...whatever. He's been successful...but, he's a real jerk when it comes to PR and people. Maybe his reasons were, he thought this would be another Championship season, did'nt pan out. How can you lose to Auburn and Tennessee w/ the team he had...Tenn at home?

He will probably take the Tampa job because he loves playing golf...and Florida is his home.

I'm just glad he's gone for FSU's sake...BTW, FSU has the most wins in college football the last 20 years. Course you knew that. And the most active NFL players..just thought I'd let you know. We ended up 8-4 with 12 STARTING freshman...look out the next couple of years.

Spussy's gone,
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't care where that creep goes as long as he never comes back home to Tennessee
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:35:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to the Bucs.  My theory is he couldn't take the humiliation he suspected he would suffer when the Canes beat the Gators in Gainesville in September... [;)]
View Quote

[size=6]You DA MAN![/size=6]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My theory is he couldn't take the humiliation he suspected he would suffer when the Canes beat the Gators in Gainesville in September... [;)]
View Quote

I like it!!!!!!!!

I like ANYONE who beats U of F.
View Quote

I'm with you 100%!
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Wonder what'll happen when Spurrier mouths off to a 300lb $1M+ pro lineman that doesn't like Spurrier to begin with....
Can you say bitchslap?

I pull for anyone that plays Florida.. Yes, I would even pull for  [puke]Notre Dame against Florida...

Roll Tide.

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Let me start by saying Congrats to Miami.  Good Job.

Now....where the hell where all you Miami fans when they SUCKED a few years ago?  Huh??  Boy the UM flags really came out of the woodwork the last two years!  Enjoy your bragging rights while you can!  Bunch of Front-runners!

Florida will take a big hit next year, because they will probably lose some Juniors/Sophmores who were unsure of turning pro.  They also will take a recruiting hit.  They still will beat Tenessee, and probably Miami and will be a contender for the Bullshit Championship Series.

Call "The Man" what you want, but as he says......You can't call Florida losers anymore!

Fastest coach to 100 wins EVER!  Maybe he got out now, so he wouldn't blow past Bear Bryant/Joe Paterno/Bobby Bowden and have all you jealous cry-babies whining about it.

I believe that Tony Dungy will leave Tampa Bay (he will resign, and not be fired), and take the Minnesota job.  Spurrier will take the Tampa job, and FINALLY get the offensive potential out of these pathetic Bucs.  I have never seen a team with so much talent (Bucs), do so little with it.  Dungy is a nice guy, but he is way too conservative to be a great coach.  Let him go to Minnesota and mess up their offense!

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#15]
The only reason you don't like him, is because ever since he came to Florida, you haven't been able to touch Florida!   Where I come from.....we call that JEALOUSY!!!  

That goes for all you S.E.C. teams!    
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:09:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm an Alabama fan.
I remember Florida before Spurrier.

If Spurrier's job was to be loved by "all" he has failed miserably.
If Spurrier's job was to bring Florida football to respectability his performance must be viewed as outstanding.
[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Now....where the hell where all you Miami fans when they SUCKED a few years ago?  Huh??  Boy the UM flags really came out of the woodwork the last two years!  Enjoy your bragging rights while you can!  Bunch of Front-runners!
View Quote

You better smile when you say that to me, boy.  My father went to the University of Miami and I have rooted for them since I was old enough to watch football.  When they had bad times, I still rooted for them, I didn't suddenly become a FSU or UF fan.  ALL successful teams get band-wagoneers...I remember all the instant Bama fans that materialized back in 93...
That doesn't give you the right to call every fan you see a band wagon fan.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Let`s see.......how many laughed at me in september, when I said the rams were going to the superbowl......said "YOU READ TOO MUCH SI"....I don`t read sports illustrated....at least not on a regular basis......HERE`S SOME FOOTBALL LOGIC......Dennis Green...let go by minnesota......Spurrier resignes....hhhmmmmm.....where`s the MOST LIKELY place Spurrier will end up?......a LOT of possibilities.....I SAY MINNESOTA.....[argue]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:54:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Florida has offered Bob Stoops the Head Coaching job.  Sources say he is accepting it, and a news conference is scheduled for tomorrow!
[:D]

Too bad that Gaffney and Lito Shepherd said they are going to the NFL since Spurrier is gone.  Taylor Jacobs is also considering joining the draft.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 2:22:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Maybe I can start liking the Gators now.Always thought Steve was a pompous jackass.How can anybody like a coach who will publicly humiliate his players at the 1st mistake.Like he never made a mistake when he played.I think there's more to this story.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 3:30:42 AM EDT
[#21]
It's just not going to be as much fun kicking the gator's ass next year without Stevie-the-Visor as head coach.
View Quote

Something that didn't happen very often.  He won something like 80 percent of his games at UF.  

Some of you guys will get to hate him again.  He'll have a job as soon as he wants one.

What is it about coaches like Spurrier and Knight, anyway?

I won't miss his attitude at UF, but I will miss his coaching.

Eddie
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:49:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Rumor puts Spurrier in tampa.....there may be one or two more openings before it`s done.....we shall see........(san diego?)
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:18:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The only reason you don't like him, is because ever since he came to Florida, you haven't been able to touch Florida!   Where I come from.....we call that JEALOUSY!!!  

That goes for all you S.E.C. teams!    
View Quote

Uhhh, dopey.....

Tennessee just HAMMERED teh Gayturdz IN GAINESVILLE just a few WEEKS ago.

And people say that **** I ***** don't know college football.

[}:D]

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Hammered???  Uh, I don't call 2 points a slaughter!!  You guys were one 2-point conversion away from not being embarrased in the SEC title game!  

Let me go back 10 years......Florida gave the game to Tennessee in '98 (missed field goal) and in '01 (missed 2-point conversion)!  I can't think of any other time they beat Florida???  Hmmmmmm.......  2 out of 10 aint bad there UT!  See ya in the Citrus bowl again next year!  AHAHAHAHAAAA

Florida lost 2 games this year, by a total of 5 points!  Yes, a loss is a loss, but don't talk trash, especially when your team can't back it up!  
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Stevie boy has given football a bad name.  REAL bad.  I don't deny he's a winning coach, but I don't think beating someone into the ground is sporting.  MY opinion!  I hate the sucker!
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hammered???  Uh, I don't call 2 points a slaughter!!  You guys were one 2-point conversion away from not being embarrased in the SEC title game!  
View Quote

Don't worry about it, G-man has a very selective memory when it comes to football.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Now you want to get into the running up the score thing!  

Ok, I don't call having your 3rd and 4th string players, trying their best to impress the coaches and media, running up the score.  I mean when the starting QB has 350 yards passing at halftime, you can't very well leave him in much longer, or you guys would really bitch!  

Some people are so ignorant!  They see a 60-7 score on SportsCenter, and they think he had the starters in the whole game, running up the score!  How bout actually watching the GAMES!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top