Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2002 9:53:41 AM EDT
Gen. Franks just confirmed that a US Special Forces soldier died by "small arms fire".

its on TV right now.

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I copied all of the relevant information from a piece at CNN, the rest is non-relevant.
===================================================
[url]http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/01/04/gen.war.against.terror/index.html[/url]

First U.S. military member killed by hostile fire
January 4, 2002 Posted: 2:00 p.m. EST (1900 GMT)

Gen. Tommy Franks

(CNN) -- A member of the U.S. Special Forces was killed Friday by small arms fire in eastern Afghanistan, Gen. Tommy Franks, the head of U.S. Central Command, said Friday.

At a Central Command briefing in Tampa, Florida, Franks said the member was on a mission "to coordinate with local tribal elements in the vicinity of Gardez Khost." The victim's name was not released, pending notification of his family.

Franks said the specifics of the incident were not known yet. He said the dead soldier was a member of an Army Special Forces unit and that no other members of the unit were harmed.

"We had a Special Forces member killed earlier today, by small arms fire," Franks said. "I am mindful of the cost that these young people pay in order to support this very, very important campaign."
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 10:44:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Say a prayer for him. He died fighting them there so we don't have to fight them here.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Amen to that Jarhead_22, I couldn't have said it better myself.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#5]
God Bless him and all the other men and women there!
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#6]
[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,42206,00.html[/url]

Excerpt: Sergeant First Class Nathan Chapman of San Antonio, Texas, was killed in a gun battle in the vicinity of Khost, near the Pakistan border.

“We sleep safe in our beds only because rough men stand ready in the night to do violence on those who would do us harm.”
--George Orwell

[b]Rest In Peace, Hero[/b]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Reminds me of the closing scene in the movie "Delta force" when the team members are carrying out their casualties with the rescued hostages and their family members dancing in the back ground.  "There is no greater gift than to lay down one's life for another..."  May he rest in Peace.

PS-Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I am not sure if the whole stinking mess of Afghanistan is worth the life of such a noble and brave fighter.  But these guys are the best, and they know that it won't be a cakewalk.  Statically we are doing great... only one of our brave soldiers killed, while we have probably killed thousands.

But we have no choice.  This brave soul gave his life so that we could continue to live as all Americans dream to live.  He will go down as another hero who died fighting the assholes who would deny freedom to all.

ARnSC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top