Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2002 8:01:32 PM EDT
Well my job hunt blitz starts again this weekend. I slowed down a bit during the holidays. I am actually limiting my search to AZ, TX and FL. But will consider VA. More than likely I will be concentrating on AZ cause there are tons of Asset Management firm popping up there, and FL because short of Boston and NYC that is the best concentration of financial services firms.

However, I was thinking of what I would consider my ideal place to live, and I have come up with a list. So I want to know if such a place exist in these U.S.

My list:
1) Must have CA style living, atmosphere, scenery, weather and beaches.
2) Must have VT style gun laws.
3) Must have TX style no nonsense/comprimise politics.

So am I dreaming here or does a place exist.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you're dreaming of the US 200 years ago...

No such place exists today...

Good luck on your job hunt...

PA ain't so bad...
(No beaches though)
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone up for the AR15.com group island purchase?
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 11:01:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Uhhhhh...if you exclude California weather and beaches, maybe Switzerland.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 1:02:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:24:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Given your criteria, I think you'd be happiest in Paraguay...
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:32:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Try Nashville or perhaps Knoxville, Tennessee. We have CCW, two Republican senators, a Republican gov & a state house & senate that knows the power of the NRA voters. Plus NO state income tax. Mountains, good music, good food & plenty of gun shows!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Try Nashville or perhaps Knoxville, Tennessee. We have CCW, two Republican senators, a Republican gov & a state house & senate that knows the power of the NRA voters. Plus NO state income tax. Mountains, good music, good food & plenty of gun shows!
View Quote

No beaches though. I just got a hold of a recruiter in Memphis that will supposedly be looking for me in that area.

Quoted:
Given your criteria, I think you'd be happiest in Paraguay...
View Quote

Hmmmm....too bad yo hablo poquito espanol.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm sure you could find something here in VA.  I'm sure there's a firm in Northern VA that does what you do.  (That way you can have CA style traffic too)  I'm in Richmond.  If you mean CA style beaches, I assume you mean women and social stuff.  Otherwise, I've been to a couple CA beaches and they kind of suck.  To me a beach is defined by Cape Hatteras NC, but there is little else there but the beach.  (that's kind of the point)

Is sounds like FL is calling...  VA may be too cold for your tastes.  We have a little thing called seasons.

Here, the only CA style state law is 1 handgun a month.  It's enforced via our instant NICS, so private sales don't get noticed.  They will catch you if you do more than one.  A local guy got charged with it as a stand alone crime.  He simply forgot how long it was, and bought another...  Several months later, he was served.  He got off, but he needed a lawer.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:03:12 AM EDT
[#9]
If you can deal with the weather, perhaps Virginia is a good place?

You will not find CA weather any place other than CA, which to me is about the only good thing left in this state. Sure, the lifestyle is cool and you have a lot of choices in that regard, but the cool urban lifestyle is only available in the urban areas, and you already know what the situation is there as far as gun ownership goes.

I would say if you already own SURs and don't picture yourself buying any in the future, areas such as Eldorado Hills are good. It's a Republican area, some of the local CLEO's have already stated they will not enforce SB23, crime is low, and home prices are about as good as they get in CA (other than Bakersfield). You could work in Sacramento, and if the need arises to shoot unregistered SURs, it’s not too far a drive to Nevada. The major drawback I see is the fog and the summer heat.

If I could find an area with Texas gun laws and Oakland/Alameda weather, I would be there in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:04:08 AM EDT
[#10]
LT, what happened to you deal in Atlanta? I thought you had something working here?

[beer]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
LT, what happened to you deal in Atlanta? I thought you had something working here?

[beer]
View Quote

Have not heard from em. I don't think I will get that job. I really do not have the experience called for it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, hell, we'd be happy to have you up here in Washington.  There are some financial firms.  Only problem is, unemployment is high here because of a slump in manufacturing airplanes (Boeing) and in spinning airheaded get-rich-quick fantasies (dot-coms).

#1 is generally good (only one real "beach" in the metro area, though -- Alki in West Seattle).
#2 is ok for everything except Class III.
#3 kinda sucks, but the government is less ridiculous than anywhere else I've lived (which doesn't say much, admittedly).
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:21:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey, LT, I remember there being many buttpirates and liberals in Austin (kinda like SF and LA), they have lakes and desert, beaches within 4 hours... !!!

TN really is better- I might go back to TX to visit someday... maybe.

I'll not go to CA again unless deployed there to NTC, or to visit the bro-in-law at Edwards AFB, just long enough to sleep before we all head to Vegas...

Don Out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top