Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2002 3:35:22 PM EDT
While I was at Wal-Mart today, I happened to look through the current issue of Handguns on the magazine rack. The author of a letter to the editor claims that his local Wal-Mart now bears the following sign "Attention Shoppers, no firearms, concealed or otherwise are permitted in the building". He was apparantly told by the manager of that Wal-Mart that is it a nationwide policy decision. Yet when I walked over to the hunting counter, they were still stocked with shotguns and rifles, and there was no such signs anywhere. Anyone know what happened?
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Here in Vegas only one Wal Mart has a no weapons sign. It's in North Las Vegas on Craig Road.
View Quote

Dammit, wolfpack, stop and talk to me sometime! I'm the guy trapped in the Verizon booth in that walmart!  Bald guy with a goatee!

edited to say;  People carry concealed in here all the time...The wally world guys have no idea, and if you're carrying properly, no one would ever be the wiser.  If you come into THIS walmart, I can guarantee you're not the only one armed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#4]
From the horse's mouth:

Subject: RE: Firearms
Thank you for contacting Wal-Mart regarding our concealed handgun policy.
Wal-Mart was founded by Sam Walton on three basic principles. Strive for
Excellence, Service to our Customers, and Respect for the Individual. It is
that respect for the individual that led us to create the current policy
pertaining to concealed handguns.
The following is our policy:
If a Wal-Mart customer has been awarded a concealed handgun license by the
state government, Wal-Mart will follow the direction of the state. However, if
at anytime while on Wal-Mart property, that customer's concealed weapon becomes
visible to Wal-Mart associates or customers, Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask
the customer to either reposition the weapon so that it will not be visible, to
remove the weapon completely or to leave Wal-Mart property.
With the exception of law enforcement personnel, Wal-Mart does not allow any
exposed weapons to be worn or carried in public view on Wal-Mart property or in
Wal-Mart stores. Customers other than law enforcement personnel wearing or
carrying a weapon in an exposed manner will be asked to leave the property
immediately.

We appreciate your concern and trust that this message has addressed your
concerns regarding this issue.
Thank you,
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:00:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here in Vegas only one Wal Mart has a no weapons sign. It's in North Las Vegas on Craig Road.
View Quote

Dammit, wolfpack, stop and talk to me sometime! I'm the guy trapped in the Verizon booth in that walmart!  Bald guy with a goatee!
View Quote

Off topic but is it a requirement for all the Cell Phone guys to be bald with a goat?
View Quote

Dunno.  God helped with the bald part... I just recently decided to go back to the goatee look.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#9]
If someone sees your "concealed" weapon then getting kicked out of WlaMart is the least of your problems.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If someone sees your "concealed" weapon then getting kicked out of WlaMart is the least of your problems.
View Quote

Yep, my understanding in Va is if your concealed firearm becomes visible, even accidentally, its called brandishing...
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Gun people sure must shop at Wal-Mart a lot, because at any given time there is a thread going on a gun board somewhere concerning Wal-Mart's gun policy. I've never seen a similar thread concerning Target, Best Buy, CompUSA, KMart, Kroger, or any other national retailer.

Admittedly, Wal-Mart's policy is pretty goofy. I especially like this part:

...Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask the customer to either reposition the weapon so that it will not be visible, to remove the weapon completely or to leave Wal-Mart property.
View Quote

What do they expect us to do with the weapon that we have removed completely? Carry it around?

However, I can appreciate the fact that they actually have stated policy allowing concealed carry on their premises, and that they are not banning firearms on premises for the safety of their customers, as does Jack In The Box:

I apologize for the delay in responding to your prior e-mails.  I am corporate counsel for Foodmaker and you requested a response about our policy concerning firearms in our Arizona restaurants.  This policy was created by an employee who was formerly a United States Marine and is a longstanding NRA member.  He was very sensitive to issues concerning ownership and use of firearms.  In making this decision, it was believed that this policy was the best decision for the overall safety of our customers and our employees.  We are sorry that you apparently disagree with this decision and have decided not to patronize our restaurant.  I trust that you will recognize as a rational citizen that our decision was a good faith effort to make the best decision for safety purposes and not an attempt to deprive anyone of any right they wish to exercise.  We understand your position and considered it when our decision was made.  We are hopeful you will respect our decision even if you do not embrace it.
Thank you for writing to us.
Sincerely,
Ray Pepper
View Quote

Obviously, the fact that the policy was written by a former Marine and lifelong NRA member is not germane to the issue. The issue is that they mistakenly believe that their stores will be safer by putting a "NO FIREARMS" sticker on the door.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, my understanding in Va is if your concealed firearm becomes visible, even accidentally, its called brandishing...
View Quote

Nope....we have a open carry law here in VA! Durring the summertime I carry open all the time, no one has said anything too me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#13]
exactly. I started seeing threads on rec.guns saying walmart banned concealed carry and was getting ready for another boycott, then I found out they just don't want you flashing people. What's wrong with that policy

Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#14]
well KMart is under a gun owner boycott

Quoted:
Gun people sure must shop at Wal-Mart a lot, because at any given time there is a thread going on a gun board somewhere concerning Wal-Mart's gun policy. I've never seen a similar thread concerning Target, Best Buy, CompUSA, KMart, Kroger, or any other national retailer.

Admittedly, Wal-Mart's policy is pretty goofy. I especially like this part:

...Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask the customer to either reposition the weapon so that it will not be visible, to remove the weapon completely or to leave Wal-Mart property.
View Quote

What do they expect us to do with the weapon that we have removed completely? Carry it around?

However, I can appreciate the fact that they actually have stated policy allowing concealed carry on their premises, and that they are not banning firearms on premises for the safety of their customers, as does Jack In The Box:

I apologize for the delay in responding to your prior e-mails.  I am corporate counsel for Foodmaker and you requested a response about our policy concerning firearms in our Arizona restaurants.  This policy was created by an employee who was formerly a United States Marine and is a longstanding NRA member.  He was very sensitive to issues concerning ownership and use of firearms.  In making this decision, it was believed that this policy was the best decision for the overall safety of our customers and our employees.  We are sorry that you apparently disagree with this decision and have decided not to patronize our restaurant.  I trust that you will recognize as a rational citizen that our decision was a good faith effort to make the best decision for safety purposes and not an attempt to deprive anyone of any right they wish to exercise.  We understand your position and considered it when our decision was made.  We are hopeful you will respect our decision even if you do not embrace it.
Thank you for writing to us.
Sincerely,
Ray Pepper
View Quote

Obviously, the fact that the policy was written by a former Marine and lifelong NRA member is not germane to the issue. The issue is that they mistakenly believe that their stores will be safer by putting a "NO FIREARMS" sticker on the door.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
However, if at anytime while on Wal-Mart property, that customer's concealed weapon becomes visible to Wal-Mart associates or customers, Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask
the customer to either reposition the weapon so that it will not be visible, to remove the weapon completely or to leave Wal-Mart property.
View Quote

"Sir? yes, you with the hat.  Would you please kindly reposition your weapon?  You are making the other customers nervous, and there is one of the Million Moms who says she will shoot you herself if you don't.  There is an NAACP member who says he will file for emotional harrassment because your pistol is black.  There is a KKK member who wants to file for discrimination because you didn't choose a white pistol.  Some other person complained about "that guy'th big thcary gun" and there is a Marine who told me he would personally kick your ass because you are carrying a mousegun.  Thank you sir, would you like paper or plastic?"
View Quote

ROTFLMAO! That's good.

Also, like SomeGuy said, what do they expect you to do with the firearm after you remove it? Should you walk around carrying it mabye?

And, of course, if you're carrying properly, they'll never notice. I'm not totally sure about the laws, but I'm pretty sure that here in FL if they do notice that you're carrying (with a permit, of course), the worst they can do is ask you to leave.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 2:54:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This isn't because of their policy regarding customers carrying firearms on premises, however. My point was that I can almost always find a thread on Wal-Mart's CCW policy running somewhere, but I've never seen such a thread on any other chain. I just don't know why Wal-Mart gets singled out like they do.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 3:05:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll check with the wife. She's current on policies, as a manager, more so than most of her peers.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#19]
good question, especially since, unless I'm reading it wrong, wal-mart's policy is that they don't want people "flashing" their weapons, which in some states is illegal to do if you have a ccw license

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

This isn't because of their policy regarding customers carrying firearms on premises, however. My point was that I can almost always find a thread on Wal-Mart's CCW policy running somewhere, but I've never seen such a thread on any other chain. I just don't know why Wal-Mart gets singled out like they do.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top