Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2002 2:40:36 PM EDT
Which special forces units use the HK handguns.

Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Come on guys, the guys at work dont believe anyone uses them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:58:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Navy SEALS us MK23's, the forerunner of the H&K Tactical.

I think some units may allow personal weapons so I could imagine you could see some USP's

Some units use MP5's, but I don't remember which.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Right now, the SEALs are the only group using the MK 23. The others may be using the Tactical. But SOCOM units will use whatever they need or can get a hold of.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:00:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The Mark 23 Mod 0 SOCOM (Special Operations Command) is used by various United States Special Operations forces as an offensive handgun. It is an H&K .45. That is the extent of my knowledge. If I had to hazard a guess, US Army SF and Navy SEALs probably use it, but I really don't know much more than that about how many are in service and who regularly employs them. Here is a link to some info on that pistol:

[url]http://www.hkpro.com/socom.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a friend who is ex-Delta (just retired, and yes, really).  I have seen the handguns they normally use, which are mildly customized 1911's, but he has told me that they trained also with HK's.  Unfortunately I don't remember if it was the SOCOM or not, but it was definitely a .45 with rails for a light on the frame.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a friend who is ex-Delta (just retired, and yes, really).  I have seen the handguns they normally use, which are mildly customized 1911's, but he has told me that they trained also with HK's.  Unfortunately I don't remember if it was the SOCOM or not, but it was definitely a .45 with rails for a light on the frame.
View Quote

Yes, there is a certain Army SF detachment that has been known to the the USP tactical with a light/laser set up, suppressor if necessary.

Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Last I heard, the SEALS passed on the MK23 and decided to stay with the SIG P226.  I guess it all depends on your definition of "use".
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Last I heard, the SEALS passed on the MK23 and decided to stay with the SIG P226.  I guess it all depends on your definition of "use".
View Quote

Then what did they do with the 5000 guns or more importantly the 5,000,000 dollars that was going to buy them??

But seriously, I had read that the SEALs were the only ones who really liked the Mk23's.  Then again they were the ones who did most of the work with HK, it was really their baby, and was one of those things that got mashed togeather when SOCOM was created. The complaints revolve around it being too bulky and heavy, once the electrics and suppressor are fitted.

The Mk 23 might have been overrun by developments.  For one thing it owes its existance to the general adoption of the M4. Everyone wanted the M4, but it cannot really be suppressed. The Mk 23 was a attempt to give a silenced weapon to the teams, one that could be carried by every member in a team, and not have to leave someone stuck with a MP5SD.

Since the Mk23 was built, .300 Whisper/Fireball uppers for ARs have come out, a weapon that is not only quiet, but has a effective range that creaps very close to the unmodified M4's... The only thing lacking is that there are no pictures or documentary evidence that the .300's are in use...

What is known is that in the last year the SEALs have recieved a large order of SR-25's, now called the Mk11. Though called a sniper rifle, they also have RIS and can mount any accessory that a M16 can, including M203, and the telescopic sight has QD bases that could easily and quickly be replaced with a Reflex, besides coming with MAD and a folding front post installed. It also can be used as a quiet eliminator, that would still be a more effective choice for later in the mission, than the Mk23.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:12:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Then what did they do with the 5000 guns or more importantly the 5,000,000 dollars that was going to buy them??
View Quote

Where did this info come from? The one time i spoke with a SEAL he told me that the MK23 worked really well.... As a door stop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top