Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2002 6:11:56 AM EDT
I'd like to hear your choices.

Given my limited experience (only been here two years) my pick would be P2 in Wichita Falls. It's a drive in and they bring your sliced brisket sandwich, fried okra and Colorado sissy soda (Coor's Light) right out to your truck for you.

The brisket is dark on the outside and sort of pink toward the middle, and just melts in your mouth. It's smoked, and done with a dry rub. A couple of pickle slices and red onion slices top it off, plus your choice or regular or hot sauce. Go hot or go home.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:14:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Angelo's on White Settlement Road in Fort Worth.  Let's mount a recce mission this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Angelo's on White Settlement Road in Fort Worth.  Let's mount a recce mission this weekend.
View Quote

I'm in. What's the initial rally point?
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:42:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

We can rally up anywhere near 75 and 190.  How about the mall at 75 & Plano Parkway?

This is like a free weekend for us.  We're good for Saturday or Sunday lunch or dinner.  What's good for you?

Game's on let's draw a crowd.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

We can rally up anywhere near 75 and 190.  How about the mall at 75 & Plano Parkway?

This is like a free weekend for us.  We're good for Saturday or Sunday lunch or dinner.  What's good for you?

Game's on let's draw a crowd.
View Quote

I will initiate some message traffic with Household-Six and transmit my status then.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry to butt in guys, but there's always Clark's Outpost in Tioga, Texas, which is not that much further than White Settlement Rd., in Foat Wuth.

That's the kind of Texas BBQ joint that actually has 'mountain oysters' on the menu!

BTW 'don't ask, don't tell' anyone about what mountain oysters are!

Also, you know 'Sweet Georgia Browns' got the Dallas Observer's nod for the best BBQ in DFW!

It's on Loop 12 in South Oak Cliff.

Eric The(JustMy$0.02)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#7]
That ain't a "butt-in," ETH! I asked for recommendations, and I appreciate your response.

I have heard that Sonny Bryan's isn't bad, either.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 10:24:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Sonny Bryans and Colters are about the same, IMHO, but a lotta old Dallas types swear by SB.

I like to go to Angelos, but only when a court appearance or a gun show take me to Ft. Worth. The fact that they don't serve ice tea has always aggravated the dickens outta me - you have to get a 'bottled tea' out of their cooler.  So what happens is I usually drink beer when I go there. Which is not always such a good thing!

Eric The(DoI[u]Look[/u]LikeIDon'tKnowBeansAboutBBQ?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Other than my house which is way South of y'all,

The Salt Lick in Dripping Springs.

Gotta love a place you can walk in with your own booze/beer, and serves everything family style.

Of course, you have to put up with Tea Sips!

(that should start the flames)
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Gotta love a place you can walk in with your own booze/beer, and serves everything family style.

View Quote

Know how to keep an Aggie out of your back yard?
Put a Goal Post in it.[;D]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Lessee'...Sonny Bryan's in Dallas...well for starters it ain't barbeque.  More like bad roast beef with what is possibly the SORRIEST EXCUSE for BBQ sauce yet devised.  WAAAY too smoky and burned tasting too.  And what are those chunks in there???  If it's the only place open yeah I can eat there otherwise I'm Fort Worth bound.

And Colter's started as a Houston-based chain, but the good Houston quality didn't make the move with them.  The Dallas operation went bust in the late 1980's and what was left of the franchises got a new lease on life with a name change to Colter's.  Still real second-rate BBQ.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good eats at the Salt Lick for sure!  I also like the Extra Moist Brisket and creamed corn at the Rudy's on 360 just West of Walsh Tarlton Ln.  CockedandLocked, It looks like you can make a brisket sing a delicious tune for sure!
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Ditto on Clarks in Tioga. The Smokehouse in Lindsay is also good.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#14]
The Shed in Wingate

[url]http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?city=WINGATE&state=TX&country=United%20States[/url]

[url]
http://www.reporternews.com/2000/features/shed0630.html[/url]
[url]
http://www.gosanangelo.com/archive/97/may/9/8.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:38:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Jarhead_22...Flash Traffic.  My taste buds are callin' for BBQ.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I've got to cast my vote for Angelo's.  It's a Ft Worth institution!
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:47:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Jarhead22, you're not here in "The City By The Falls" are you? If so, try the Branding Iron on Scott St just E. of Downtown, best brisket up here. Course you'll have to go to Dyers on S.W. Parkway for ribs. Dyers also has some of the best BBQ sauce I've ever tasted. It's the kind that is real mild (to start out) and then gets warmer and warmer the more you eat.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Also, for the folks in the "Megeloplex", does Greens Trucking Company on Main in Bedford still set up the tables on Friday for the $ 10.00 "all you can eat" Ray Green ("Bigfoot" as he's known) has won the BBQ cookoff more times than anyone else.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Jarhead_22...Flash Traffic.  My taste buds are callin' for BBQ.
View Quote

Household Six is working tomorrow but would like to attend. Dinner Saturday or lunch/dinner Sunday would be good to go. Call the ball.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Hey DonR, did they ever "re-upholster" that mangy bear. That sucker always looked like he had fleas!
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Jarhead22, you're not here in "The City By The Falls" are you? If so, try the Branding Iron on Scott St just E. of Downtown, best brisket up here. Course you'll have to go to Dyers on S.W. Parkway for ribs. Dyers also has some of the best BBQ sauce I've ever tasted. It's the kind that is real mild (to start out) and then gets warmer and warmer the more you eat.
View Quote

No Ed, I'm down in Collin County, but I was stationed at Sheppard AFB for school twice, 1991 and 1994. P2 was a regular stop for me. That's also when I found out about the delight of a Double Whataburger with cheese and jalapenos.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Ball centered green.  Saturday night ops.  Angelos non-functional Sundays.  After action recce Stockyards?  You have Ground Control.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Hey Jarhead, if you ever travel North, theres a little place N. of Whitesboro on 377 before you get to the lake on the E. side of the Rd thats pretty good too.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ball centered green.  Saturday night ops.  Angelos non-functional Sundays.  After action recce Stockyards?  You have Ground Control.
View Quote

Operation Infinite Brisket has been green lighted. We are weapons hot. Execute execute execute.

Stand by for encrypted message traffic.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Blades turning.  Feet wet.  Inbound.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Alright men we're looking for volunteers for a significant mission.  Saturday 1900 hours at Angelo's BBQ in Fort Worth.

Who's in for Operation Infinite Brisket?
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hello NORTEXED, just wanted to add in Neon Spur, across fron Bridwell ag center, and the branding Iron is the best. My opinion on Dyers if very low, especially since the parents retired and turned it over to the kids. FYI, I'm about 25 miles south of WF....fullclip
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't forget to tell Gunrunner that there's a very good gun show going on in Dallas this weekend!

It's the Market Hall Gun Show. Around 2300 tables or so. Lots of stuff for one and all!

As usual, I'm set up right next to the concession stand![:D]

Eric The(ComeSeeUs,WhenYou'reDoneFeasting)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Maybe everyone could gather up beef jerky samples and meet at Erics table for a feast!! Just kidding Eric. I may have to try that show this time...fullclip
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Arock, Jarhead_22.  I love to go with you gents on Sat. night, but it is also my daughter's birth day, so I have to pass.  BTW, you gents can entertain 1Gunrunner.  He is in DFW ( from WA) as of right now. Let me know, and I will call him and let him know.  I will take him to shoot on Sunday at Coleman County ( 2hrs drive west of FW--Who is game on Sunday??)
View Quote

Mojo...1Gunrunner is welcome.  We're gonna rally up at the parking lot of Collin Creek Mall at 6pm Sat. evening.  Send me IM or email for contact info.  Or meet us at Angelo's at 7pm.

More details as they develop.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 10:03:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'll put my vote in for Angelo's BBQ #1. Everytime my parents go down to Granbury they always bring back some BBQ & of course their sauce. Anyone else remember when they had sawdust on the floor? Now that was AMBIENCE! But the health/fire department didn't think it was very safe and had to get rid of it. Wish I was there for some BBQ on Saturday with you guys...I'll just tell the wife to thaw out some of the Angelo's we have in the freezer for supper. Enjoy and have a great night!
View Quote

Seems like all the good BBQ joints had sawdust on the floor back when.  I remember Angelo's had sawdust and peanut shells mixed.  Always a big can of peanuts to eat while you stood in line.

Oh and eating Sunday lunch with the whole family at the Nutt House Hotel in Granbury.  Buttermilk pie to die for.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:28:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Operation Infinite Brisket was an unqualified success. No friendly casualties were suffered, although several head of cattle took one for the team. Their sacrifice will not soon be forgotten.

Four thumbs up (Jarhead and Mrs. Jarhead) for Angelo's.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#35]
The food and the company were both outstanding. The Mrs and I would love to schedule a rematch at the earliest convience, this time without the mutant offspring.  BTW jarhead, I think the boy took a shine to your lovely lady! [;)]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The food and the company were both outstanding. The Mrs and I would love to schedule a rematch at the earliest convience, this time without the mutant offspring.
View Quote

Anytime, DonR!

BTW jarhead, I think the boy took a shine to your lovely lady! [;)]
View Quote

I noticed that. The little devil was putting the mack on, wasn't he? [:D]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:31:43 PM EDT
[#37]
ROTF.......the little beggar obviously got his Mom's good looks and his Dad's good taste! [}:D]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Jerry'S BBQ.
On University Downdown.
Super small. Super cheap, Super awesome food. Coldest, cleanest tap beer around.

Pull up a chair, catch some sports on the TV, relax, have a brew and some great BBQ!

Edited to add that this is in Ft Worth!

Link Posted: 1/6/2002 12:10:48 AM EDT
[#39]
AROCK
White Settlement is just yards away if your willing to partake in a beer.....I missed rendezvous Infinite Brisket, let me know when the next mission is under way.

Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:33:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Aye - sign me up for the next mission too.  I am in the salt mine trying to keep the slumlord off my back all this weekend....... sob...

Congrats on a successful op.

Don's boy is definately gonna be a ladies man!

Tate
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top