Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2002 4:38:19 AM EDT
I am thinking of organizing an outdoor car shoot.  UP to shoot at would be my 1990 Geo Prizm.  Would you go and shoot at a car and how much would you pay for the oppertunity??
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:41:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:14:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you supplying the brass or do we have to bring our own?
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:20:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Now,would this be a moving geo prisim?[}:)](someonedrivingitinairregularfashion)?
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:30:41 AM EDT
[#4]
No, I wouldn't be able to provide ammo.  You could bring whatever you wanted.  The car would be in front of a berm, about 75 yards from the firing line.  I was thinking around 5 or 10 bucks and you could stay as long as you wanted.  Some where in the middle of the day we would turn the car around and blast the other side for awhile.  I might sell shirts to try and make some money.  Sound like fun? Or sound like shit?
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:36:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Don’t you watch movies?  The first bullet that comes close to that car will make it explode.  Frankly I would try not to look at it too hard.

-Velveeta
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:45:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Great idea.  Just invite all the local guys, because not too many people would be willing to travel.

Does the car work?  How much is it worth to you?  I am asking because you will probably just make more fun than money.  Remember to make everyone help you clean up the mess!
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:52:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Some where in the middle of the day we would turn the car around and blast the other side for awhile.
View Quote

Hahah, I don't think so.  After about 5 minutes of blasting, the car will be on fire and be totally destroyed.  You can see for yourself by checking out these old pics.  Btw, cleanup is a bitch.  I'd pay 10-20 dollars.

[url]community.webshots.com/album/14073611YgUISbroSt[/url]

[url]community.webshots.com/album/14114196fwvVdqRCIq[/url]

[url]community.webshots.com/album/14582853EFlbkHdzDO[/url]

Example
[img]community.webshots.com/storage/1/v2/1/44/19/14114419GeqDZtOJUe_ph.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:00:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Well my local police SWAT team paid with a NEW CAR!!

Yes indeed they " thought" that a old Dodge Omni that was parked by the shooting benches was "indended" to be used as a target...( ya we are so kind as to provide undamaged cars for them to shoot up when they rent the club ranges).
They proceeded to PUSH the car 200 yards to get it down to the berm end of the range...and blasted away!!!

By the time the owner had returned to the club to pick up his car it had over 800 holes in it!!{he had left the car (which was his wife and had been used to change targets durring a weekend match) because his wife had left with a friend so he was stuck with two cars}.  The only part of the car that was undamaged was the front windshield.  Even the license plates were blown to shit!

YES the car did have plates on it!! Which makes it even more incredible.
The police quickly called the guys wife at work and had her drop in to the station to take her pick of vehicles from the impound lot!!

LOL....just makes you want to laugh!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:11:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The police quickly called the guys wife at work and had her drop in to the station to take her pick of vehicles from the impound lot!!
View Quote

Say WHAT?  They just gave somebody's car away?
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:20:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd pay $10.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:23:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Dude, try selling "shots" with a sledgehammer prior to the gunfire.  The sledge makes a bigger dent, allows the person to get rid of some frustration, and encourages the non-shooters to participate.

Before turning the car over to the shooters, place some manniquins in the seats.  Dress them up to look like Talibanis and pack plastic bags filled with red paint under the clothes.

Promise to donate some of the proceeds to a local charity and I'd bet you have plenty of people showing up.  The only problem you'll have is from intolerants like the Arab Anti-Defamation League or the ACLU.

Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:33:13 AM EDT
[#12]
If you had something bigger, like a bus or a cargo van it might be interesting.

5 of my friends and I took out a '72 Lincoln that one of my buds bought for $75 and ran it until it finally died.  We towed it to his property and let loose.  The car lasted about 25 minutes before it was completely blasted to shit.  Cleaning up all the oil and transmission fluid took 5 days.

Incidentally, I put a .50 API into the engine block that blew out 3 of the pistons and lit the engine on fire.  The round penetrated straight through a thousand pound piece of cast iron, pretty damned impressive.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:04:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Say WHAT?  They just gave somebody's car away?
View Quote

Ya it was from a group of cars that had been confiscated from criminals etc..

Nice to see my tax dollars hard at work
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:17:41 AM EDT
[#14]
It wouldn't start on fire if you drained all the fluids out.  Right?
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:07:07 AM EDT
[#15]
7 is absolutely right - not much left to the backside of a car after a few thousand rounds through the front.  Every summer I go to a local MG shoot and there's usually 2 cars there (the cars are used cars... but never before as targets).  Price is $20 a head and usually about 30 shooters show up - this pays for the cars and is enough to also provide some money to the owner of the farm where we shoot to get some insurance coverage, and to pay for his time and effort in setting up the shoot and cleaning up afterwards.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:11:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

The cars we use are almost completely empty (it on a guys farm - we don't want to torch the place on him) but the cars ALWAYS catch fire...and usually within the first 15 minutes or so. Even when we've prohibited tracer and APIT specifically to try and prevent fires, the cars light up.  

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/033/Lb/EY/su/Rs27629.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:14:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I like the sledgehammer idea for non-gun folks.  And donating part of the $$ to charity is also a good idea.

Remember in certain states and local areas they have certain environmental laws which may cause a problem.  Example...no fluids leaking onto the ground.  And in some areas if the vehicle catches fire, you then are emmitting evil black--hydrocarbon--smoke into the environment.  The air police must give you permission to burn and require a permit.... If you dont go thru the proper procedure...they will fine you.  So...make sure it does not burn....remove fluids--oil, coolant--and also the fuel tank.  

Years ago a guy in Dallas, let people shoot at wrecked cars with a Thompson machine gun.  He made a few dollars...the media even put it on  TV about little ole ladies shooting at cars  with a machine gun.  Take care and have fun.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#19]
$5
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#20]
How far from Kansas City are you?  I know myself and a buddy would love to come, if the price was right.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is why you should first fill the fuel tank with high-octane gas, completely fill the engine with oil, and the radiator with diesel fuel.[;)]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:22:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Clarkaim, I am about 30 miles south of Olathe.  In Ottawa on I-35.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm in.  No more than 10 bucks though.  I spent all of my money on guns and ammo (oh yeah I saved some for school).  I always wanted to see how different types of ammo penetrate through a car. [smash]

e-mail me the details
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 12:10:53 AM EDT
[#24]
I saw a "Car Hunt" segement on a show called Weird TV that looked like lots of fun.
In the Nevada desert, A POS remote controlled sedan got shot at from everyone riding on the back of a flatbed truck. The car was fixed up everytime it stopped until it just wouldn't run anymore.

Link Posted: 1/4/2002 6:06:54 AM EDT
[#25]
I've been kickin' about a similar thought for a bunch of my buddies and I out here in SoCal.

As of late we've been getting together for some desert camping/shooting trips in some pretty remote areas.  Here's a run down on what I've been dreaming up.

My friend's got a flatbed trailer he would lend me to get a car in and out of the place.

Here's a list of items that would [i] HAVE [/i] to be removed from the vehicle [i] prior [/i] to being used as a target:

windows

fuel (drain, then flush tank with water, let dry)

engine oil/tranny oil (drain, flush, let dry)

cooling system/brake lines (drain, flush, let dry)

a/c compressor must be removed along with any traces of freon

battery

drain fluid from shocks/struts

remove tires and secure car on blocks

When done shooting, put tires back on and roll/winch back onto trailer to dispose at junkyard.

I know this sounds like alot of work, but it would be easier to spend an afternoon performing these jobs in the garage than having to clean up the mess it would leave at the shooting spot.

The crew I shoot with usually brings a few Ma Deuce's, some 1919's, a few .50's and a bevy of AR's, AK's, FAL's, and other fun boom sticks.

It would be interesting to see what a few thousand rounds of well placed ordnance would do to a car.  [:D]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:02:00 AM EDT
[#26]
FlapJack, your in Ottawa?  I have some old buddies from there.  You know Mark Moore, Devin Ward, Randy Burgoon?  I went to KU with those guys, used to party tons in Ottawa, remember the Hilltop or the Saddleback?
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:05:04 AM EDT
[#27]
I've been waiting for my friend's  beater to break down, and I'd buy it from him to shoot up. Thing is, there is nowhere here in VA (that I know of) where I could take it and blast it to pieces.

But if someone else provided everything I needed except the guns and ammo; $10-$20 would be an expense I would not think twice about paying.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:14:50 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't know any of those guys, I am pretty much an anti-social gun toting nerd.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 7:53:12 AM EDT
[#29]
I will pay any price IF you can get Sarah Brady  behind the wheel of said car!
[heavy]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#30]
it would be cool to stick some of those liquid bienary exploding targets on/in the car
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Let's get together a volunteer crew for the clean up!

Oh, you were going to clean up, weren't you?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top