Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2002 10:28:58 PM EDT
I need some info about Pablo Picasso(sp?).

Like a report or biography on him during the "Harlem Renessaunce(sp?)"

My neighbors kid is doing a report on him. They don't have internet, so I said I would see what I could find.

Thanks,

CG
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:42:07 PM EDT
[#2]
WTF did Picasso have to do with the Harlem renaissance?  (Was that the invention of the spraypaint can? [:D] )
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 11:25:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 11:31:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I was just gonna print out some stuff for his kid. I found a few pages.

Hey, I get a 12 pack out of it!
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 11:35:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:15:14 AM EDT
[#6]
YEAH... I know that guy, he mows my lawn every friday and usually smells like Budwieser! hehehe
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 3:35:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Neighbor kid? Tell that little fart to hit the books.  I am only 24, but I remember how it was in the Dark Ages, before the internet.  Tell him he needs to research his own crud.  He needs to learn how to sift through a long article and decide on what he needs out of it, etc.
ComputerGuy, otherwise, you just need to tell him "Neighbor Dude, yer gettin a Dell!" and buy him a computer. [:D]
View Quote

Nothing wrong with helping a neighbor kid out, but I do understand Doublefeed's point.  My 2 teenage daughters think it's impossible to write any kind of a report w/o the internet.  Geez, there is this building called a [i]Library[/i] ya know..  You might have to use those funny cards in the drawers and learn something about the Dewey Decimal system, but it sure as hell ain't impossible...
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:33:30 AM EDT
[#8]
There's a movie of Picasso painting that was released on VHS at one point, it's a very good visual aid for a report if the kid can find it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:51:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Pablo Picasso (1872-1994) was one of the greatest artists of the Harlem Renaissance.  He was born in a small farming town in Iowa to a white father and a black mother; his parents named him "Richard Churchill" and hoped that he would inherit his father's accounting business.  Young Richard, however, was drawn to the world of art, and from 1888-1894 he went through a "White Period" in which he drew pictures of country clubs, tea parties and picket fences.  In 1895, he discovered his African roots and adopted the Zulu name "Pablo Picasso" which means "Mighty Lion With a Paintbrush That Makes the Earth Tremble".  Picasso moved to Harlem and immediately joined the budding Harlem Renaissance that included other great African-American cultural figures like John Milton, Howard Stern and the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  Over the next thirty years, Picasso created several masterpieces in the "Spherist" style including "The Last Supper", "The Night Watch", and "Al Sharpton Descending a Staircase, Nude".  In 1926 Picasso joined the international African Legion to help free Korea from colonial oppression.  He was critically wounded in a Turkish elephant assault in 1928 and never fully recovered his ability to paint.  After returning to Harlem in 1929, he converted to Islam and spent the last sixty-four years of his life teaching.  He died in 1994 in the arms of his beloved wife of thirty-eight years, Whitney Houston.    
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:29:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:25:05 AM EDT
[#11]
When I first saw a thread from ComputerGuy saying "Help!" I thought he must have gotten his hair or something stuck in the "little wheely sparky thing" on his Zippo.

(For those who don't get the joke, [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=81427[/url])
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:33:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Renamed, I am wiping tears outta my eyes after reading that post. Outfrickingstanding.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
WTF did Picasso have to do with the Harlem renaissance?  (Was that the invention of the spraypaint can? [:D] )
View Quote

http://www.google.com/
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Repeat after me, "Google is my friend".

This is what I found: Google/Searched the web for Pablo Picasso.    Results 1 - 10 of about 173,000. Search took 0.07 seconds.

Ai
View Quote

[url]http://www.google.com/[/url]

Link Posted: 1/3/2002 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Renamed:  That ain't no 500 words or two double-spaced pages.  Try again.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey, "Computerguy",

Yer a "Computer Guy", and don't know how to do either a simple biographical websearch or perform first echelon maintenance on a Zippo without asking the world for assistance? How the hell do you get through doing tax returns? (Never mind; forget I asked)

Turn in all of your arms, hand over the car keys, get yourself a vasectomy, do not attempt to cook anything, stay away from matches, no knives of any kind EVER, and for God's sake don't operate any heavy machinery! Just go and watch a little TV, or something, there's a good fellow, and have a beer...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top