Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/10/2009 10:10:34 AM EDT
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/feb/08/8shootingweb/

Man, 59, charged in Cordova parking-lot killing

By Jody Callahan, Memphis Commercial Appeal

Sunday, February 8, 2009

An argument and a gun, a flash and a crack, and just like that, three children were made orphans.

That's what happened in the parking lot of the Trinity Commons shopping center in Cordova around 9 p.m. Friday, police said.

Harry Coleman

Robert Louis "Dutch" Schwerin

Police charged Harry Coleman, 59, with second-degree murder Sunday
in the shooting of Robert "Dutch" Schwerin, 52, after the pair argued
over how close their vehicles were parked.

Schwerin died in the parking lot, leaving behind two sons, Dallas,
21, and Colt, 19, and a daughter, Savannah, 15. Emilie Schwerin, his
wife and their mother, died in 2004 from medical problems.

Schwerin was a mechanic at FedEx for 21 years and a co-owner of
Dacosa Speedway in Byhalia, a go-kart track modeled after Talladega
Superspeedway.

"He was all they had, after their mother passed away," said the victim's brother, John "Butch" Schwerin.

Dallas and Colt are both college students, but what will happen to Savannah, a student at St. Agnes, hasn't been determined yet.

"We're working through that. We haven't come up with anything
concrete yet," Butch said. "I think that she'll end up staying in their
(Arlington) home."

The incident apparently began outside the Villa Castrioti
restaurant, where Schwerin and his children were celebrating the
birthdays of his father and father-in-law.

But on the way out, according to Dallas, Schwerin and a woman began
arguing over how close his GMC Yukon Denali was to her Hummer.

At that point, Harry Coleman joined the argument, which then seemed
to dim. But then it boiled over again, Dallas said, leading Coleman to
reach into the Hummer for his gun. He then walked back to where
Schwerin stood and shot him in the torso, according to the police
affidavit.

Police took him into custody there and found the gun in his back pocket.

Coleman, who is scheduled to appear in court at 8:30 a.m. today, was granted a state permit to carry a handgun in June 2006.

A woman answering the phone at the  Colemans' Cordova home Sunday declined to comment.

Sunday night, the Schwerin family was still trying to absorb the loss.

"It's just a very, very sad time for us. It was totally uncalled
for," said the victim's mother-in-law, Mary Rentrop. "It leaves his
children without a parent."

His father-in-law wasn't happy that Coleman is only facing second-degree murder charges.

"I don't understand what first or second-degree is. He just shot the
man. My son-in-law didn't have a gun or anything," William Rentrop said.

Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday at St. Louis Catholic
Church. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. today at Memphis Funeral
Home Poplar.

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#1]
What a bunch of stupid idiots.

This is why I park at the very back of the parking lot.

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#2]
So it wasn't self defense?
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Great fuel for the antis, some people are just too stupid for their own good.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Great... just the kind of publicity we need... what a fucking asshat. I feel sorry for that family.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#5]
We'll be hearing about this one again.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Great... All three Kids are going to be on the next Brady Campaign Poster.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Fan-fucking-tastic.  Get used to it.  Lots of people have no criminal record prior to go ape over something stupid.  If you allow people to have rocks on sticks there will be a few people beaten to death over nothing.  It still helps more than it hurts.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Fucking elist snob.  How dare anyone park too close to his $45,000 vehicle!  Yep, shot to the stomach will make that guy show some respect.  

Hope Coleman dies in prison at a ripe old age.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

A lot.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Article
Police say parking spat leads to fatal shooting
ASSOCIATED PRESS • February 9, 2009

Read Comments(13)Recommend (1)Print this page E-mail this article Share Del.icio.us
Facebook
Digg
Reddit
Newsvine
Buzz up! MEMPHIS — A man was killed and another charged with murder because of an argument over parking, Memphis police said.

Harry Coleman, 59, was charged with second-degree murder in the death of Robert "Dutch" Schwerin, 52. Coleman had an initial court appearance Monday and posted a $500,000 bond.

Police say the shooting occurred Friday night in a parking lot of Trinity Commons, a busy shopping center on the eastern outskirts of Memphis, where Coleman and Schwerin had parked their large SUVs.

"The initial dispute was about one vehicle being parked too close to the other vehicle," police spokesman Monique Martin said.

Coleman, who has a state permit to carry a handgun, got a firearm from his vehicle during the argument and shot Schwerin once, Martin said, adding that she did not know whether Schwerin had a weapon.

"We only retrieved one handgun from the scene," she said.

Defense lawyer Leslie Ballin said the altercation "turned physical with Mr. Schwerin attacking Mr. Coleman's wife and threatening to attack Mr. Coleman. ... We look forward to trying the case in a court of law."
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Scumbag idiot. I hope he gets life.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I am sure the Commercial Appeal stories will not be kind to TN permit holders

The Commercial Appeal is the same newspaper that has an online database that provides personal info on TN handgun permit holders:  http://www.commercialappeal.com/data/gunpermits/
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like the bitch should have kept her mouth shut, now a guy is dead and her husband is going to rot in jail because of it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:24:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I used to date a girl in Cordova.

WTF is wrong with people's ability to deal with insults?
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:25:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sounds like the bitch should have kept her mouth shut, now a guy is dead and her husband is going to rot in jail because of it.

1. Marry rich guy
2. Make him shoot a guy and go to prison
3. Profit

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Killed over how you parked.

Society is truly becoming full of the most materialistic, raving, psychopaths...  
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#17]
He walked away from the argument, got his gun, returned to the scene, fired one shot, then put the gun in his back pocket?  Was the wife transported to the hospital for her injuries?  

I'd be arguing that the shooter had time to formulate a plan and carried out a pre-meditated shooting.  Yeah, the Big One.

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Totally not cool.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:36:28 AM EDT
[#19]
You guys are jumping to a bunch of conclusions (as usual)
Wait for a few facts to come out.
It may very well turn out to be a justifiable shooting.

I will never understand why people jump so quickly to these conclusions.
Not nearly enough published evidence right now to make a decision one way r the other.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:39:44 AM EDT
[#20]
We may not be getting all the story! This could be one of those times that the story is tailored to gain maximum sympathy. (Just Saying!)
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:40:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fucking elist snob.  How dare anyone park too close to his $45,000 vehicle!  Yep, shot to the stomach will make that guy show some respect.  

That is one of the most ignorant things I have ever read.
How do you know it was Coleman who was upset at the other guy?
Do you not think it is at least possible that the other guy was angry and causing the disturbance?
Is it not at least possible that the other guy was getting out of control and Coleman felt it was necessary to protect himself and or the woman from the other guy?

Christ Allmighty guys get a fucking clue.

It may turn out that Coleman was in the wrong and should be punished but none of us know that at this point and I believe it is at least as probable that he was acting legally and justifiably to protect himself or another.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not nearly enough published evidence right now to make a decision one way r the other.

Even if it's a justified shooting (self defense, life in danger, etc.) the media will spin it as 'out of control man shoots unarmed, helpless, baby dolphin saving man.'

The media will have a field day out of it regardless of the facts. That's what they do best.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Society is truly becoming full of the most materialistic, raving, psychopaths...  

Jumping to huge conclusion.........
I am guessing the dead guy was the one mad at them for how they parked and attacked the Colemans.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Dallas, Colt, and Savannah?

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jumping to huge conclusion.........

I am guessing the dead guy was the one mad at them for how they parked and attacked the Colemans.
I understand what you're saying.

However, altercation starts over a parking space or how they parked (one or the other) and someone is dead.

My SUV is too close to your SUV so die.

It's too much.  There probably is more to the story, but you don't threaten to kill someone over parking, or actually kill someone over parking.  There is something wrong with that.  If you can't understand that, well, I'm sorry.

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This.

Plus the "An argument and a gun, a flash and a crack, and just like that, three children were made orphans." comment from the original article. When I think "orphans", I think of little kids, which is what the paper wanted to portray. After reading further, we find that the orphans are 15 to 21 years old. Tragic? Of course, but not as much so as if these were infants and small children. Just more of the media shaping feelings rather than reporting the news.

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
He walked away from the argument, got his gun, returned to the scene, fired one shot, then put the gun in his back pocket?  Was the wife transported to the hospital for her injuries?  

I'd be arguing that the shooter had time to formulate a plan and carried out a pre-meditated shooting.  Yeah, the Big One.

Indeed, he should be charged with first degree murder instead of Second.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot.

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Looks like dead guy hit or pushed Coleman's wife at the start:
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=333&sid=5548291
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#30]

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/feb/09/cordova-man-accused-killing-man-car-dispute-makes-/?partner=yahoo_headlinesAttorney: Accused shooter in Cordova parking-lot killing regretful
Man's defense team talks to witnesses
By Hank Dudding (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
Monday, February 9, 2009

The Cordova man accused of killing a man during an argument over how close their SUVs were parked says he is innocent but regrets the shooting, his attorney said Monday.

Harry Raymond "Ray" Coleman, 59, posted $500,000 bond Monday morning. He is accused of second-degree murder in the death of Robert "Dutch" Schwerin, 52, who was shot in the chest after the men argued Friday night.

Coleman's defense team is interviewing witnesses of the shooting at the Trinity Commons shopping center in Cordova, said attorney Leslie Ballin.

"It's not unusual for multiple witnesses to observe different things," he said. "There are stories out there consistent with Mr. Coleman's innocence."

The Associated Press quoted Ballin as saying the argument "turned physical with Mr. Schwerin attacking Mr. Coleman's wife and threatening to attack Mr. Coleman. ... We look forward to trying the case in a court of law."

"While maintaining his innocence," Ballin said, "he's regretful and sorry that the man lost his life."

The shooting occurred outside the Villa Castrioti restaurant, where Schwerin and a woman argued over how close his GMC Yukon Denali was parked to her Hummer, said Schwerin's son, Dallas, who was with his dad when he was shot. According to TV reports, the woman was Coleman's wife.

Coleman joined the argument, which simmered down briefly before boiling over, Dallas said.

Coleman then got his gun from the Hummer, walked over to Schwerin, and shot him in the chest, according to a police affidavit.

Coleman runs a business, Harry R. Coleman Investment, on Timber Creek Drive in Cordova. The door to the business was locked Monday morning.

His business landlord, attorney Sharon Anderson, said she's had a cordial relationship with Coleman over the years.

"He's a very friendly, outgoing individual," she said. "He was in here, literally in our office, Friday afternoon, just as happy-go-lucky as he could be."

Evidence of the altercation had long since been cleared away at Trinity Commons, which bustled with shoppers just after noon Monday.

Three doors down from Villa Castrioti, April Rogers, 33, said she'd seen crime creeping into the area, but was taken aback by the violence.

"I was surprised to hear of a problem of that magnitude," she said. "Not that there was a problem, but the severity of it, I guess."

No one answered the door Monday morning at the house listed as Coleman's in the 500 block of Buck Trail Cove.

A trophy bear on its hind legs stood a few feet behind a glass front door, and a black-and-white animal-skin rug lay in front of the stuffed beast.

Schwerin's family expressed unhappiness when the second-degree murder charge was announced Sunday, but Shelby County Asst. Dist. Atty. Gen. Tom Henderson said such cases merit a lesser charge.

"Murder in the first degree requires proof of premeditated intent to kill," Henderson said. "You have to show that they thought about it and considered it."

The charge could be upgraded if new evidence turns up, Henderson said.

Coleman was granted a state permit to carry a handgun in June 2006, but the permit has now been suspended, Henderson said.

Coleman's next court appearance is scheduled for Feb. 23.

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#31]
LOL, that coleman guy better take along some lube for his old tuff ass, he'll need it for his new life as a prison bitch.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Looks like dead guy hit or pushed Coleman's wife at the start:
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=333&sid=5548291

Which is ZERO justification for a shooting.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 11:09:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Guess this explains why the Commercial Appeal ran a CCL holder list on their website (which ARFCOM is currently working on)
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#34]
They just had it on the news witnesses reported the shooter was yelling do not touch my weapon, step away do not touch my weapon,  I am having a massive adrenaline dump. Could it be ?
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Not enough info the first article leaves out some pertinent facts, my guess is the others do as well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Fan-fucking-tastic.  Get used to it.  Lots of people have no criminal record prior to go ape over something stupid.  If you allow people to have rocks on sticks there will be a few people beaten to death over nothing. It still helps more than it hurts.

This...
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 11:16:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Well shooting someone for "defending his wife from a bully" just doesn't have as much journalistic appeal as shooting someone "over a parking spot with a hummer".

If someone punched my wife, I'd shoot him in the face so his family would have to have a closed casket.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 11:17:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Coleman may have been better off if he had pulled one of these out

instead. If fists won't do it, an intermediate step can be your best bet.

Even if he gets off, he's going to drop a bundle on his defense.

I like their 4oz stream unit.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If you waited to have ALL the facts before forming an opinion, you would never have anything to say about anything.  Even the jurors will not have ALL the facts––they'll have to come to a conclusion based on all the information available to them, which is exactly what people in this thread are doing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 11:18:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well shooting someone for "defending his wife from a bully" just doesn't have as much journalistic appeal as shooting someone "over a parking spot with a hummer".

If someone punched my wife, I'd shoot him in the face so his family would have to have a closed casket.

and then you'd go to pound me in the ass prison where ol' bubba will make you his wife.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Sounds like the bitch should have kept her mouth shut it's working just the way she planned, now a guy is dead and her husband is going to rot in jail because of it.

Teaching the SO to have a bit of discretion on picking battles may help.  Any bets that woman wouldn't have picked a fight had her butt-ugly hubby not been carrying?

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 11:23:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Its amazing what people will kill people over. Women, religion, idiotic shit like this, the list is infinite.

This just goes to show you that 1000 years ago we were cutting each others heads off for the stupidest reasons, and a 1000 years from today(given we survive and don't nuke ourselves or something catastrophic) we'll STILL be cutting each others head's off.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#43]
The dead guy has a foreign sounding last name.
This is a justified shooting.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 11:27:52 AM EDT
[#44]
IMO

I highly doubt a lack of CCW would of stopped this man....
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 11:29:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Shit 45K is cheap.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Attorney Leslie Ballin....... The guy will get off a murder charge if I ever have any legal problem I'm going to get this guy..he can get just about anybody off charges.                                                   http://www.memphismagazine.com/gyrobase/Magazine/Content?oid=oid:20937
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yep, too many people think they are defined by what they drive and judge others by what they drive

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is one of the most ignorant things I have ever read.
How do you know it was Coleman who was upset at the other guy?
Do you not think it is at least possible that the other guy was angry and causing the disturbance?
Is it not at least possible that the other guy was getting out of control and Coleman felt it was necessary to protect himself and or the woman from the other guy?

Christ Allmighty guys get a fucking clue.

It may turn out that Coleman was in the wrong and should be punished but none of us know that at this point and I believe it is at least as probable that he was acting legally and justifiably to protect himself or another.

I love how this site has people who will argue over anything. Here we have one guy chastising another for his opinion on a news story.

Hey there Sugar its his opinion based on a new story he isn't a sitting member of a jury. Its an opinion calm the fuck down.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 11:36:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Marry rich guy
2. Make him shoot a guy and go to prison
3. Profit

won't be much of a profit when the defense lawyers that I'm sure are lining up, suck his accounts dry!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top