Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/2/2002 3:25:40 PM EDT
I am sittting at the TV watching FOXNEWS.  You all dont know how to drive! Saw some dude in a SUV smak right into a police car!  4 inches?

Thats it? You all cant drive in 4 inches of snow?  

After seeing that, you all are a bunch of warm weather sallies! [;)]
c-rock
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The news interviewed Georga residents who were flocking to the supermarkets to stock up on supplies because they were expecting 3 inches of snow that would be gone by the next day.  Holy Sh!t, call out the National Guard!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Funny, just had this conversation tonight with a local here in N.C (calling for 3" and everybodys worried)  Like anything else, you have smart people and stupid people.  I've lived in Maine, upstate N.Y (210" of snow when I left), upstate Pa (off of lake Erie), all over New England and other places with LOTS of snow.  My conclusion: You have idiots driving all over this country, North AND South.  Most people think that just because they have four wheel drive "hey, I can go as fast as I want, and break just as well".  One guy in Watertown N.Y was even telling me how well his jeep would stop on ice (yeah).  Seen more people up north stuck in a ditch than here in N.C.
The fun really starts when your driving in a whiteout (some people will tell you to stop driving, and others will tell you to keep the vehicle going in it's direction at a reduced speed, whats wrong with this picture?)
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:06:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey man... I grew up so rural, scraping roads meant waiting for a March thaw. Since the closest metro area was 30 minutes away, you learned how to drive on ice and snow drifts or you didn't leave town.

Now that I live in Cincinnati where we have 300+ wrecks in a single afternoon with 1/8 inch of snow and ice.

I have seen the stupidest person on the planet. No surprise it was a soccer mom who managed to wreck her minivan in traffic that had not budged an inch for 15 minutes.

Why do people think that the only way to accelerate on snow and ice is to punch the throttle? Sheezopeez!!!

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Here in Kansas City we had snow today. About 1/10,000 of an inch. There were cars off of the road everywhere on the way to work this morning.
What a bunch of maroons!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#6]
And northern boys can't drive in hurricanes.  Wanna trade?  

I've spent enough time "up north" and in various cold climates around the world to know that no particular group drives on ice any better than any other.  The biggest problem is no one wants to slow down.  You should see the Koreans.

Eddie
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am sittting at the TV watching FOXNEWS.  You all dont know how to drive! Saw some dude in a SUV smak right into a police car!  4 inches?

c-rock
View Quote

That is all true. We hav appx 5" of snow here in Columbia SC. We left work at 12:30. Nobody here (other than those of us who grew up somewhere else) knows how to drive in this shit. There is NO snow removal equipment. NO road salt. Just sand. It will melt Friday probably & we will have a 50 degree day. Just remember what "weather weenies" we are when northern folks start croaking & dropping like flies when the temp in the summer hits 95 for several days in a row. We will have to hear on every newscast about the "Heat wave" that has struck the northeast or midwest and there is no relief in sight.........
I guess we all have our specialties. Ours ain't driving in this stuff. [shock] Shit, there isn't a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk on the store shelfs. What's up with that. All I did was buy 2 cases of beer & some dry beans..... You have to have your priorities.
I'll probably go out in the morning & smoke the neighborhood kids in a snowball fight as they don't even know how to make a good one.[:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:40:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, the incompetence of southern drivers is pretty extreme.  To be fair though, the same thing happens to a lesser extent here in Alaska with the first real snowfall.  There are always people drive on the snow the same way they would on dry asphalt, with predictable results.

The people who usually drive this way are the ones with 4x4 SUV's.  It's always SUV's you see in the roadside ditches.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#10]
If you look up redneck in the dictionary, I am sure it will saw something about "snowtires".  By definition, if you can drive in snow better than on pavement, you might be a redneck.

Favorite line to a woman, which I saw on TV
"Baby, you look finer'n a new set a snow tars."
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah, the incompetence of southern drivers is pretty extreme.  To be fair though, the same thing happens to a lesser extent here in Alaska with the first real snowfall.  There are always people drive on the snow the same way they would on dry asphalt, with predictable results.

The people who usually drive this way are the ones with 4x4 SUV's.  It's always SUV's you see in the roadside ditches.
View Quote

It's not incompetence, it's ignorance of how a vehicle will react in snow.  I've seen just as many dumbasses up in Vermont, Maine, and New York run off the road into a ditch and roll their nice new Explorer over because they think that 4x4 = being impervious to snowy conditions.

You Yankees might also want to note that we: A. don't have as many pieces of snow-clearing equipment; and B. don't normally get our equipment out until the snowing has stopped.  That's why a foot of snow will absolutely kill Northern VA and DC (don't laugh it happened in '96).  You guys up North have snow and salt trucks on the road the instant the snow starts to fall, so you have better roads to drive on even with more snow on the ground.

There is also the little thing about what kind of vehicles are driven.  A lot of people drive pickups in the South.  Even pickups with four wheel drive suck in snow.  Most people in the North drive cars.  Cars with the weight balanced low and evenly over 4 wheels and front-wheel drive are better for driving in snow.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
And northern boys can't drive in hurricanes.  Wanna trade?  
View Quote

Guess you weren't up on Cape Cod for Hurricane Bob or Hurricane Gloria, or any of the many nameless Noreasters.

I grew up in E. MA where we get 100" of snow and Hurricanes. I'm looking forward to the 8-12 inches we're suppossed to get here in E. VA. Should be entertaining...from a safe distance.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Whats snow? [:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Duh..Like being from Illinois would make you an expert on driving in snow?
I keep tellin' y'all ...both the mobile home and the double wide were invented in Marshfield Wisconsin..I personally know the inventors....Some of the finest red necks I know come from there...excellent human beings!
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#15]
My daughter lives in Atlanta now and finds the response to a little snow quite amusing!

To be fair, idiots behind the wheel seem to be widely distributed and never in short supply!  I have little trouble in the stuff; and I drive a pick-up!  Run slower than a few and faster than most.  With LOTS of clearance!  My biggest fear is what some numbnuts will do because he drives faster than his ability to control his vehicle.  My limit is if I can't maintain control at 40 - 45 MPH then the roads are too bad for me to be out.  I find a safe place and give it up!
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Some of yall ain't too smart, huh. If you turn the antenna a little, all the snow goes away. Didn't yo daddies teach yall nothin?
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#18]
no the rednecks and ricers in SC have no damn clue as to how to drive safely in snow. Southern Idiot : "radio said roads are getting dangerous, better get home quick"

not only does he not slow down but speeds up!
around a set of S-Curves near my house my firebird will do 60 through them without complaint, on a nice dry paved road. i slowed to 20 around these things in the snow that was on the road around 4pm. and what do i see? some SI flipped his car on the road. IN the s-curve. looked like a honda civic. thought i was kinda hard to tell upside down. did my car slide now and then in the snow? you betcha, my fault to. overpowered it just a tad and she spun her wheels starting from a light. backed off and let her get a grip. apparntly some fool decided to challenge a semi and punched his gas.... you guessed it, snow, no traction. problem was he got just enought to move forward about 5 feet. semi flattened his driver area. darwin award winner? mabey, but i do feel for the guys family. sucks to lose someone. no matter how dumb a mistake they make. except murders. no pity for them or their family.

no i dont have much skill/experience driving in snow. but i do have enough sense to slow down to keep control. a slide at 20 is more controlable than a slide at 50. sure ya might piss off some people driving so slow. but is it worth getting home alive? yep. let them whine and gripe. you lived.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I keep tellin' y'all ...both the mobile home and the double wide were invented in Marshfield Wisconsin..I personally know the inventors....Some of the finest red necks I know come from there...excellent human beings!
View Quote

Yes, we get the "lake effect" around these parts. [:D]

Lets get this straight, I am a FIB, you all up there in WI are what we called Cheeseheads.  You all are underneath rednecks in the social scale of things. Main reason for that, is somehow you think the GB packers are the shit. [;)]
Also, you all come on over the boarder to work up in Lake country, and still drive like you are still in Wisc!  
J/K
c-rock
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Actually, here at the line between snow 3 months of the year and never snows (somewhere through the middle of NC) - we rather enjoy watching all you yankees who move down to RTP and think you know how to drive on snow, hop in your 4WD SUV's and go skidding into all kinds of stuff in the stuff that passes for snow down here. It's usually not the white fluffy ski grade powder you folks get.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#21]
No...we can't. But, then again...I'd love for you to come down during a Cat. 3 Hurricane, then we'll see who bitches about what.

Prime example...brother-in-law from up North was almost in tears during a Cat.2. He said he'd never compare any natural weather occurence to a Hurricane for the fear factor. Hurricane wins...

What was the question,
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Naaw, don't no nothin bout that there white stuff.  Is it anything like driv'n in a corn field?  [:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:49:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

c-rock
View Quote
Yeah, but our gun laws are WWWAAAYYYY better.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Coming home tonight, roads very slick.  Running along in 4wd high range about 45.  Stupid fool comes flying up behind me and passes on double lines.  Passenger hanging bird out right window.  The HK USP along for the ride too wanted to speak, but I thought better of it.

No shortage of fools in the world.

[IMG]http://www.3dpcgame.com/cwm/s/contrib/aahmed/sad.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#26]
And besides I already have hot fries,beer,toilet
paper and loaf bread.............so i will not be driving.........
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#27]
got a rifle and a shotgun and a 4-wheel drive, country boy can survive, we love the snow.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:02:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm a transplant from the PA Allegany mountains living in the South. So I think I can speak with at least a little authority.  

Most of the drivers I saw on my way home from work weren't doing too bad considering the conditions.   I took the most backway route I knew of to stay away from traffic.  Nothing had been plowed or salted (of course)  and there were places where the ice was so bad you could hardly lift off the throttle without doing some sliding.  

I saw one car and one explorer in the ditch, and a car behind me (who was following too closely I might add) tried to make a turn and ended up smacking a curb when he kept going straight.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#29]
This california boy got his suv stuck in snow barely high enough to tickle the axles this weekend. Level paved road. Started driving in ruts, then broke trail. It's a pita to put chains on after you are immobilized. I'm going to need snow removal equipment if I buy that place.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm not that gooder at drivin in that white stuff, butt I sur can shoot a tick off a bird dogs udder.

No Slack!
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#31]

You guys need to read [u]The Redneck Manifesto[/u] by Jim Goad.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#32]
I like the guys who think thay can go 70 in the snow with thier 4WD SUV's.  The problem isn't going, it's trying to stop.  They usually end off the road in a ditch or wraped around a tree.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:46:01 AM EDT
[#33]

Yeah, but our gun laws are WWWAAAYYYY better.
View Quote

This is true, I will give you that!
c-rock
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:50:08 AM EDT
[#34]
If God had wanted Texas Rednecks to do snow, [b]HE WOULD'VE MADE BULLS&%T WHITE[/b]

Mike
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:56:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah! 35 years of snow was enough! I'll take 'caines. The term 'redneck' is one of the most misunderstood terms in use.

Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:14:42 AM EDT
[#36]
There are no geographical limitations on rednecks, c-rock. There are more rednecks in Chicago than Atlanta IMO. I've been there.

FYI, I was in to work at 7 AM with no trouble, although the company said come in at 10 today. The front-wheel drive on my Honda Accord goes thru the stuff pretty good. I left my new Ford 4WD SuperCrew in the garage - I just waxed it, and don't want to get any salt on it, either. [:D]
I am kinda lonely here - it seems quite a few in my group are taking a "snow" day.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:26:13 AM EDT
[#37]
People here kill me. We got 1/2 inch of snow last weekend and the wife and I are driving home from the mall.

About two miles from the entrance to our neighborhood is this major traffic back-up. Come to find out, this lady had pulled into the middle of the intersection (in her 4x4 jeep cherokee, I might add) and stopped because her back wheels spun a little bit.

The lady would not move or get out of her vehicle until her husband showed up to drive it off "because he is from Canada and he knows how to drive in this type of weather".

People like this should STAY HOME!
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:34:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Well in the state of GA I beleive we have 10 maybe 12 salt trucks for the whole damn state! A far cry from when I was living in OH where every other median 1 would be waiting on a snowstrorm. But in our defense down here it is the ice, not the snow that screws it all up. You can have the biggest baddest Texas 4x4 pickup truck and you cant do shit on ice, except slip and slide!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:58:11 AM EDT
[#39]
I would rather everybody stay home when it snows.   That way there is more fun for me!!!

Worst snow drivers I have ever seen:  Colorado drivers.
Best snow conditions I have ever seen: Colorado
Go figure.

The best snow drivers I have seen are from Indiana.  Everybody goes 85 there regardless of the conditions, and the only cars I see in the ditch are crappy Hondas and Toyotas.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:34:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 6:55:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Highlight of my day: Watching a Lincoln Navigator do a 180 on the way to work today, in 1/2" of snow.  I bet the lady driving it didnt even know that she needed to flip the switch from Auto to 4WD for better response time, or that 4WD doesnt mean squat if you dont know how to drive to begin with.  

You have to love people who cant drive in a light rain with a 2WD car (especially with rear wheel drive) trying to drive a 5000lb SUV with 4WD at 55mph as if there isnt any snow.  Towing companies in this area are laughing all the way to the bank today.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:57:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Snow is GOD's way of telling me I don't belong there[:D]

sgtar15
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:16:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Snow:dont no nutin bout it

Rednecks:Hell texans invented rednecks!!

SUV:POS not real 4wd,cost to much,and bought not built!

4WD:Now theres somthing i know about,mine 35in tires,9in lift,383cui,dana 60 front,14 bolt rear,12,000 winch,lights,ect.And yes its a truck(thats pick-up truck for you north of the mason-dixon)

Cold weather:Hate it

Hot weather:120 here in w tex with out the heat index.

GOD BLESS TEXAS
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#44]
C-Rock ...No way does any body from Wi. work in Illi"noise" dude...that is those Shytown refugees trying to push the Ill. border north....besides us rednecks from "up north" dont really consider anything below Hwy 23...really Wi....
Dont knock the Pac....the playoffs havent started...and you know who beat the Bears like red-headed stepchildren ...dont cha...hehehehehehe
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Snow? What's that?
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:55:48 AM EDT
[#46]
A few years ago in Nashville, I thought to myself, "there sure are a lot of cars turned turtle in the medians and on the sides of the road", then to myself, "They've all got Yankee plates, figures... Yankees are all BORN knowing how to drive in snow, which is a good trait up North, but down here they can't tell the difference between snow and ice!"

Edited to say: Sniff! I miss Nashville!
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#47]
After considerable time in Montreal where it "doesn't snow" about 2 months a year and having been in Upstate NY for lake effect, i'll take the hurricanes any day. Anyone will tell you it's the nor'esters that are the bad storms not the hurricanes, the hurricanes are gone in a day, the nor'esters stay all week and really mess stuff up.

I don't miss snow, that's for sure

PS Rednecks can't drive in bad or good weather. That left lane is for passing!!! [:d]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#48]
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/040/yG/RB/71/G161652.jpg[/img]

I've had some experience driving in snow lately. Here's a picture taken not too far from where I live in Western NY. The guy in the picture shoveling his sidewalk is 6 ft tall. the street is somewhere to the right. Some area have has 7 [b]FEET[/b] in about 3 days.

Four days before the picture was taken, the grass was green. A week before that, people were out playing golf.

I'll admit that snow can be a pain in the arse sometimes, but I'd rather have to shovel it once in a while instead of having to deal with hurricanes, tornados, mudslides, wildfires, earthquakes, and floods.

Keep on skiing !

Link Posted: 1/3/2002 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You all dont know how to drive!  

You all cant drive in 4 inches of snow?  

c-rock
View Quote

I believe that is, You don't know how to drive!.

You can't drive in four inches of snow!

[b]Take another english class you red neck!!!!![/b]
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#50]
snow-schmoe. I'm more worried about the roads themselves.

[url]http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=499650[/url]

wannabe
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top