Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2001 5:08:52 PM EDT
This is the rifle I plan on buying:
Remington 700 VS left handed(.308)
Tasco super sniper 10x scope(yes i know the name is silly but i haven't read a bad review of it yet)
choate target stock
harris bipod

I would plan on firing then gun mostly from the prone posistion because i dislike bench shooting. How much would this cost in Canadian dollars and how accurate would it be(my guess is around .5-.75MOA)thanks.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#1]
You will have to do the conversion from US dollars.

Scope=$299 from http://www.swfa.com
You can see the reviews at http://talk.shooters.com just use the search engine at the OPTICS board. There was several bad reviews a few months ago.

Stock=$160 at http://www.brownells.com

I wouldn't buy another Harris Bipod. Get a heavey duty B-Square for $59-$87(depends on model) or a Rugged Gear for $95(great design). Or get the ultimate, Parker-Hale for $223. Same distributer as above.

The rifles run about $600+ around here.

There is a Savage model that comes from the factory with the Choate stock. They are great shooters.

I really can't handle much prone work, to uncomfortable. But I can sit at a bench all day. You can utilize better rest aids from a bench. The rest is the vital ingredient for accuracy. This is something you can't get from a bi-pod and shoulder. Have you every seen a bench-rest shooter fire from the prone?

Through handloading, or match factory ammo, you should have no problem getting sub-1" groups. Of course, even the 168gr HPBT Match loads get heavy on the shoulder after a dozen or so shots. But the .308 Win is my all-time favorie cartridge. I have some of it's necked down siblings also; 7mm-08, .260(just bought) and .243 Win.

Hopefully the above prices will help you estimate price.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds terrific!
I, however, would get a Savage as I have seen
some reports that there are some problems
with the Rem. receiver. I can't quite recall
the specifics but the articles tone lead
me to believe that I would be happier with a
Savage. When I spend big money I want my monies
worth to the mill.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds pretty good but I'd go with a little better scope, ie. Nikon, Leupold, or similar, the extra $$$ will be worth it in the long run especially since it looks like you're building a serious shooter. The problems with the Remington were on the safetys on some of the 700's, they'd go off when pushed from safe to fire after the trigger had been pulled with the safety on. If you always treat the gun as loaded, as you should, it won't be a problem.
I'd look to a better bipod although harris would do.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are not planning to use the stock which is the expensive part of the gun i would pick up a cheap reciever then get a new barrel built and use new stock. The VS is a good shooter right out of the box. Love mine My .02cents
[sniper]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top