Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2002 8:12:24 PM EDT
While at a party last night someone had a stand-up comedy CD on.  The guy kept calling shopping carts, "buggies".  Is that their name down south?
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Some folks call them that in Phoenix, too. The first few times they said it, I had no idea what they were talking about.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Just about everyone around here calls them "buggies".
GPSS
[url]www.georgiaprecision.com[/url]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I still call them carts.  Everyone I know calls them carts also.  
Bill3508
Macon, GA
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Call them both buggies and carts in NC
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#5]
A buggy, yessir. And a sodapop is a Coke.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I've heard them called buggies ever since I can remember.  Shopping carts too.  Maybe it is a southern thing.

USPC40
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Call them both buggies and carts in NC
View Quote

Same here!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:31:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Always called them buggies, call them carts when youre trying to impress someone.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:49:54 PM EDT
[#9]
That would be a "trolley" down in Aussie land.  Not to be confused with their city rail system, which you would call a "tram."

Hummm...maybe I'm thinking a little too far south.

- Anarki
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Shopping 'buggies', at least until Yankees started making their poor folks live outta shopping [u]carts[/u]!

Eric The(YeeeHaaaaw)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Many moons ago I was dating a lady who had moved from Van Wert, Ohio (raised in Cleveland, OSU grad).  The first time we went to the store together, I told her I was going to get a buggy and she just cracked up..."a buggy!! hahaha, a buggy?!".  I looked at her very stoicly and said, very dryly, yes a buggy.  We also eat grits down here, get used to it.  She got used to both.  I call them carts or buggies, but especially buggies if a Yankee is with me just to get them going.

On another post, someone said something about Ohio women not being so hot.  My experience with them, both down here and up there, is that most of them are pretty hot and downright horny.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:38:44 AM EDT
[#12]
On "Law & Order" yesterday they called them buggies.  Maybe the woman who said it wasn't a Yankee.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:32:40 AM EDT
[#13]
The UC Berkeley wackos call them a home.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:40:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I grew up in south west Nebraska and we called them buggies or carts. But now that the subject has come up, I haven't heard them called buggies in the 12 years I've lived in western Colo.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:43:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I guess I call them buggies, too.  I have never really thought about it until now...
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:29:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I think I call them baskets. I hear lots of people calling them buggies though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:05:50 AM EDT
[#17]
They're "buggies" in southwest Virginia too.

My favorite is the local version of a lollipop: the "sucker".  Having trouble adjusting to that one.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They're "buggies" in southwest Virginia too.

My favorite is the local version of a lollipop: the "sucker".  Having trouble adjusting to that one.
View Quote

I don't think I have ever heard anyone actually call it a lollipop. It's been a sucker for as long as I've been alive. The people at the bank give out tons of suckers everyday.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#19]
We always called it a "grocery basket."
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:44:31 AM EDT
[#20]
In Northern Va I call them 'carts'.

A Coke is a generic cola.

You put "tars" on your car.

And when you drive thru the Manassas National Battlefield Park I expect a moment of silence!
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
While at a party last night someone had a stand-up comedy CD on.  The guy kept calling shopping carts, "buggies".  Is that their name down south?
View Quote

I'm from SC and now live in VA.  I think I generally call them carts, but would know what you were talking about if you used "buggy".

The terms are pretty much iterchangeable and your preference may have something to do with you family status.  

I doubt many people put their young in a "baby cart".  Since they get used to calling the thing they push their baby around in, the term may be more likely to be used to describe the thing they push their groceries around in.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#22]
The only time I ever hear the word 'lollipop' is when Rush Limbaugh plays his theme song for Rep. Barney ('I Wish I had a Dick Army') Frank (D-MA), which is 'My Boy Lollipop.'

Eric The('OrAnArmyOfDicks,Whatever')Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

HAHAAA! Listening to a little Rodney Carrington eh? [;)]
Damn he's got some funny stuff! That Wal-Mart routine is one of his best.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#24]
You're not "about" to go do something, you're "fixin" to go do something.
What's a "pop"?
Coyote is a Ki-oat.  Ki as in Kite.
Hog is Hawg, and you better not pronounce it differently.
Dog is Dawg.
Truck is Pickup.
All right is A'ight.
Large is Big 'Ol.

We're fixin to go get Bill's big 'ol pickup and hunt us some ki-oats and hawgs.  Did ya get the dawgs ned?  
uh-huh
A'ight then.  I got the cokes and potted meat, let's roll jelly.

That's about all I can think of right now, and yeah, it's a buggy.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:53:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Since we're onto this subject.

If you own a block of land with your house on it. Would you describe it as your "land" or "property", being a backwoods boy in Va it's just land to me. It always cracks me up to hear yankees and city slickers refer to it as "my property." I just instantly think that they're trying to sound all upity. Property would be more of a 'commercial property' type term to me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#26]
It's a yard.  If you have over 5 acres, it becomes land.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's a yard.  If you have over 5 acres, it becomes land.
View Quote

How much land ya got? Bout a section...
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#28]
I've seen parts of Texas where that statement would be very true, Ponyboy.  Ever been to some of the areas outside Laredo?  Miles and miles of the same fence bordering someone's property, uh land.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top