Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2001 3:32:13 PM EDT
What are the main differences between and Armalite AR10B and the AR10A2? Opinions and info, please- I'm thinking about getting an AR10B.

Thanks in advance!

"In the United States, the difficultities are not a Minotaur or a dragon,not imprisonment, hard labor, death, government harassment and censorship, but cupidity, sloppiness, indifference. Not the acts of a mighty all-pervasive government, but the failure of a listless public to make use of the freedom
that is its birthright."

--Alexander Solzhenitzyn
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe the 10B goes back to early styling. It has a trigger-type cocking lever under the top rail of the carry handle, old-style handguards that are round (but unlike A2 handguards) and brown color scheme.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#3]
SunDog,

That came from the ArmaLite Site.  That was a good paraphrase of my post there.

No scopes for the AR10B due to the early style cocking handle.  I would prefer the A4 flattop version to the A2 due to the greater variation in sights you can add to it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#4]
lets not forget the higher resale  and also the  higher price tag  for  the  ar10B  i also heard  dust collects  in the  charging handle area "gets dirty" wich is why they stopped making it that way . but for resale  and collectability  it  is  superior to  the  ar10 a2 i  would have bought the  ar10b instead of my ar10 a2 but  i had  trouble enough getting the  one thousand four  hundred dollars  for my  a2 vs  one thousand  seven hun... not to mention  your converted mags  at  80.oo  a  pop!!!  
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I have no personal experience with the AR10B, but consider this....

...take the MAJOR drawback of the AR15, the unburnt powder residue blowing back into the upper receiver, and multiply this 2-3 fold, in going from a .223 cartridge to a .308 cartridge.

NO THANK YOU.
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#6]
garandman, I always appreciated the principle that the 7.62 NATO parts (bolt, rings, carrier key, etc.) are bigger than the .223, hence less subject to gunking up.
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Chairborne Ranger:
garandman, I always appreciated the principle that the 7.62 NATO parts (bolt, rings, carrier key, etc.) are bigger than the .223, hence less subject to gunking up.
View Quote

I'm not sure I follow the logic.

You have maybe 20% larger parts.

You also have 200-300% more powder residue.

Still, its NOT a rifle I would want in a foxhole, as it takes teh inherent problem in the Ar15, and [size=6] MAGNIFIES [/size=6] it.

I want my rifles as reliable as possible.

Link Posted: 3/12/2001 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#8]
ar10b for nostalgic and plinking, 10a4 for the most versatile use of sights.....B&G
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#9]
ar10b for nostalgic and plinking, 10a4 for the most versatile use of sights.....B&G
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#10]
No, garandman, we look at the same rifles and reach different conclusions.  The 15 is more susceptible to gas fouling than the 10.  Smaller parts means it is easier to "crud-up," much like my P32 Kel-Tec is more likely to be fouled with pocket lint than my Glock 27.

Gas blowing crud into the action is not good in any system, but it's worse, or at least causes more problems, in a 15 than a 10.  IMHO at least.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top