Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2001 6:18:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I could be majorly wrong, but last I knew only MA celebrates Patriot's Day as an actual holiday. I know because I participate in reenactments on Lexington Green and at Concord North Bridge, and a big problem has always been that out-of-state people who wish to participate cannot since they have to take time off from work to do so. April 19 SHOULD be a national holiday, despite latter-day connections with acts around or on that date from McVeigh, at Waco, what/whoever- the patriots of 1775 had nothing to do with them, and we should not confuse the actions of misguided people with those of our gutsy forefathers.

As for making Sept. 11 into a "Patriot's Day", I agree with many of your points- unarmed, utterly helpless victims, stumbling about or dying in stupor and horror, seeking relief and succor from authority. Seemingly just what all governments want their citizens to be, not willful, thinking individuals who refuse to take it any longer from a central government whom they no longer wish to have as their master.

How far we have come from the American Revolution.....

-------------------------------

"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself when he is the
constant victim of brutal attacks.  It is legal and lawful to own a
shotgun or a rifle.  We believe in obeying the law."
- --MALCOLM X
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:01:19 AM EDT
[#2]
September 11 should be WTC Victims Memorial Day, nothing more. Dubyah is really getting ridiculous in trying to make the attack into some patriotic celebration. Next thing he'll do is try to make the day Bin Laden gets killed into Independence Day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top