Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2001 2:34:00 PM EDT
[url]http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/37007.htm[/url]

In case noone caught this one yet, I read this on HKPro:

December 28, 2001 -- Three high-powered FBI guns - along with a laptop computer and a digital camera - were stolen in Queens from an agent who left them overnight in a parked car, sources told The Post.
And to add insult to injury, the thief also ripped off an FBI parking sticker.
The unmarked FBI vehicle was vandalized sometime after 2 p.m. Wednesday after Agent Jennifer Bleier parked at 121st Street and 22nd Avenue in College Point, sources said.

Bleier, 32, told cops she returned to the car at 6 a.m. yesterday and found the front window broken. It was not clear what she was doing in the area.

Sources said Bleier told cops that a Glock .40-caliber semi-automatic handgun, a Heckler & Koch 10mm submachine gun and a Remington .12-gauge shotgun were taken.

The shotgun and submachine gun were taken from a rack mounted on the front seat of the vehicle that was visible from the street, one law-enforcement official said.

The official was unable to say whether the missing computer or the digital camera contained data or images that were part of an ongoing criminal probe or were Bleier's personal property.

FBI agents and cops were combing the area to try to recover the weapons. A federal source said the FBI plans an internal review.

Sources told The Post Bleier has had a checkered career with the bureau.

Earlier this year, her colleagues booted from her anti-drug squad in a "Survivor"-type vote held because the squad's supervisor was under orders to transfer one of his agents, a source said. But after Bleier complained, FBI brass transferred her boss instead.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#1]
And THEY don't trust ME with an MP5/10...

I guarantee I wouldn't leave mine in plain view on the front seat, while I parted in the 'ghetto' overnight.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#2]
this is why i ddont like Bubba racks err "STEAL ME" racks
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#3]
You might remember back in May of 1997 the FBI had an entire truck (Suburban) stolen that was full of weapons. I don't believe that the weapons were ever recovered. The truck was.

As Paul Harvey would say, here's the rest of the story:

I was staying in the same hotel complex that the FBI agents were and where their truck was stolen from. Actually, me and 150 of my closest car racing frineds were staying in that hotel, as it was the headquarters hotel for our annual racing event. In the parking lot were ~ 100 cars that we were deeply concerned about, so we had hired some local LEO's that would watch the lot overnight. In addition to that, most of us were sitting in the lot until 3-4 AM, shooting the breeze and generally having a good time. Some folks were out there until the sun rose.

The FBI guys cruised through the lot a couple of times (we didn't know they were FBI) in their white suburban with all the windows blacked out. Being naturally suspicious (we had cars stolen the previous year), we told the cops to keep an eye out for them.

Eventually the 'burb parked on the other side of the lot and the guys inside went in to the hotel facing ours that shared the same lot.

We didn't know what it was until we caught the news the next day and heard about the "white Suburban full of weapons stolen from the FBI"

Makes you wonder why some random car thief would steal a vehicle from a parking lot that had people in it. And since the people in it where there watching for car thieves, I'm willing to bet that there were no broken windows or obvious burglar tools used to steal the 'burb.  Draw your own conclusions.

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Makes you wonder why some random car thief would steal a vehicle from a parking lot that had people in it. And since the people in it where there watching for car thieves, I'm willing to bet that there were no broken windows or obvious burglar tools used to steal the 'burb.  Draw your own conclusions.

View Quote

I agree, it isn't hard to spot an 'unmarked' police vehicle, especially with a rack full with an MP5 and 870 Rem, and an FBI sticker.

So either this agent is either the stupidest, most irresponsible individual alive, or she had a hand in the 'theft'.

Let's see, she had a checkered past, was probably close to getting shitcanned and knew it.  Might as well go out with a 'bang.'
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#5]
It should get her canned! But I doubt it!

Louis Freeh, when just a mere agent, lost a cell phone that belonged to the agency. It was almost, but not quite, grounds for termination back then!

Imagine losing an SMG, and some other weaponry!

Eric The(CzechOutTheRaceOfThisAgent,I'llTellYouWhetherShe'llBe'LetGo'OrNot!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's a question........ Why does an FBI agent need 3 guns?? Why do they need a sub-machine gun and a shotgun for "just driving around"?? Why if you have a sidearm would you store it in your vehicle?

The FBI is suits doing fraud investigations, mostly, no matter what they say. They are for the most part accountants with guns.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#7]
[b][size=5] " Ah SH*T, not again ! ! " [/b][/size=5]

Dumbshits
hehehehe
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:36:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Since the 870 and HK were in a vehicle mounted rack, like every patrol car in the country, I bet it's agency policy to leave them in/with the cars.

Leaving her sidearm in the car is stupid though.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Unless Agency rules have changed, the firearms must be locked in the automobile trunk with a specified locking mechanism.
Unless the car trunk is up to specs the weapons must be removed from the vehicle.

A few years ago in Memphis the agents drove a Suburban and parked it in front of their motel room.  Obviously no trunk.
The "home-boys" stole the Suburban complete with multiple machine guns and hand grenades.
[smoke]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The FBI is suits doing fraud investigations, mostly, no matter what they say. They are for the most part accountants with guns.
View Quote

Your're right. When I visited FBI HQ in WAsh. DC 2 years ago, the agent who gave the tour of building says that FBI agents do normally get into pitched gun battles, such as the No Hollyood, Calif shootout.  Their emphasizes is on catching fraud, that is why the Bureau heavily recruits lawyers and accountants.

A guy that goes to my local also had his guns stolen.  He left it in his car over night, figuring that he would take it into the next day, guess what? Someone stole his car.

NOted firearms author Al Pickles also lost a lot of guns.  He packed his car the night before so that he can get an early start in the morning, Yep, his car go stolen that night.

So, moral of the story, make arrangements to take your hardware with you.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 12:20:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Ban all guns and this shit would never happen!!! [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 3:36:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 3:54:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Post from Osprey21 -
Several years ago an FBI guy in Tampa left his cased MP5 on the truck of his car and drove off. [u]A citizen turned it in the following day[/u].
View Quote

I'm not so certain I would have turned it in.

Eric The(Sorry,It'sJustTheWayIWasRaised)Hun[>]:)]  
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 4:54:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ban all guns and this shit would never happen!!! [rolleyes]
View Quote

BWAAAAHAAAAA

Oh Geeze, I'm splitting my gut laughing!
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Since the 870 and HK were in a vehicle mounted rack, like every patrol car in the country, I bet it's agency policy to leave them in/with the cars.

Leaving her sidearm in the car is stupid though.
View Quote

If that is indeed the case, then it is the FBI that needs to rethink its policies.

I shotgun is one thing, and MP5 is whole other ball of wax, or at least the government tells us that.  If there are more stringent rules on a private 'citizen' purchasing, storing, transporting and using C3 firearms, then there should be a similar set of guidelines for LE.

Besides, my guess is that it is not the case that all FBI agents are issued an MP5.  I would assume that certain groups (i.e. HRT) are issued MP5s, and possibly other guns are available on to 'check out.'  I know that around my parts, all the good stuff is stored in a vault at the field office, and nobody I know has any 'take home' subguns.

Still, I can't imagine that it is FBI policy to leave an unattended vehicle with an MP5 in a visible front seat rack overnight.  Especially in a neighborhood of high risk.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 11:35:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#17]
College Point is like 10 minutes from my house...tops.  And it is NOT the ghetto.  Its not the greatest neighborhood, but its not that bad.  

The reason for the guns being taken home may have had something to do with New Years Eve.  They had like 300 FBI agents in addition to the 8,000 NYPD at Times Square.

There was also something in the paper about the Taliban having had office space on Main street in flushing, about 2 miles from College Point.

I agree that anyone who leaves ANY gun in a car is stupid, LEO or Not.  Glass isnt the best security in the world.  Very nice to know that there is a perp running around out there w/ an MP-5.  I hope I dont run into THAT guy on patrol.

Steven
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Post from Eric The Hun;
View Quote

[}:D]  Roger That !
View Quote

Well lets see, possession of stolen GOVT property, possession of a machine gun without a license, unregistered assault weapon.....
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
College Point is like 10 minutes from my house...tops.  And it is NOT the ghetto.  Its not the greatest neighborhood, but its not that bad.  

The reason for the guns being taken home may have had something to do with New Years Eve.  They had like 300 FBI agents in addition to the 8,000 NYPD at Times Square.

Steven
View Quote

Good point about the New Years.

I interpreted that it was a bad neighborhood from the article: "It was not clear what she was doing in the area", but I stand corrected.  But we will all agree that this lady lacks good judgement, no matter what the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Turned what in ???   [;)]

Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Please dont take this as defense of her leaving the guns overnight in the car, but I have lived in NYC 29 years.  I have had my car broken into many, many times.  When I go visit cousins and friends in nearby NJ, they look at me like I have 2 heads when I put the Club on my steering wheel.  I made a beer run a coupla weeks ago, and when my alarm chirped (turning it on), people looked at me like I was crazy.

I live in NYC so I know better, but I cant tell you how many times I have taken police reports from people (ALWAYS) from out of state, who left their pocketbook, laptop, digital camera sitting on front seat of their car.  People from out of state dont understand that you cant leave valuables in your car in NYC.  Not only will they take your pocketbook, but they will take your house keys, check your ID for an address, and visit your home while you are at work the next day.  Seruiously, this shit happens all the time.  

Could she have been from out of state?  Donttell me that you people living outside of the big cities have never left your car keys in the ignition, or left your front door open for a breeze at night.  Living in NYC, I personally dont even sleep with my windows cracked open, and I have a gun.  I dont even have a single piece of paper with my address on it in my car, in case my car is broken into in front of the stationhouse.  Lately they have been breaking into our personal cars in the police precinct parking lot.  Stealing our friggen car radios.  Funny stuff, eh?  Just wait till we catch em!
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Please dont take this as defense of her leaving the guns overnight in the car....

View Quote

Not at all, I was just clarifying my 'ghetto' comment since I don't know anything about NYC and didn't want to offend anyone living around that area.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:10:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Maybe they exist, but I have never heard of a dept that allows the storage of firearms in unattended parked cars. I wouldn't do it even if I were allowed to.

It's seems to me that she was just too lazy to safely secure the weapons. I would think that any NYPD precinct in NYC has the ability to secure firearms if she didn't.  

Unless there were extenuating circumstances I'm positive she'll catch hell for this.  

Whether it was a good or bad neighborhood is irrelevant.  BTW, most of Queens is middle class conservative hard working people.  Archie Bunker lived there ya know.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Its gonna take more than that to offend me buddy.  I think that NYC is a toilet and I want to move to a small town somewhere.  I will be the LAST one to defend NYC.  I wish they would fire me so I could leave with a clear mind.  Its not the job I hate, its the big city life.

Steven
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Its gonna take more than that to offend me buddy.  I think that NYC is a toilet and I want to move to a small town somewhere.  I will be the LAST one to defend NYC.  I wish they would fire me so I could leave with a clear mind.  Its not the job I hate, its the big city life.

Steven
View Quote

Heh heh, I hear you!  You wouldn't catch me living in NYC.  Nothing beats a house with a garage and yard (a couple acres would be nice) and not having to live on top of, or underneath another family...
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Underneath here.  As a matter of fact, I think that they are taking their tap lessons as we speak.  There has got to be a better way........

Maybe an accidental discharge....hmmmmmm
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Years ago I lived in a downstairs condo because of the kiddies.  The people in the upstairs unit had a cat that amused itself 24/7 playing with a ball on the hardwood floors.  What a racket that made.

I'll pitch a tent in the woods before I live in a condo again with a unit above me.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Cat playing with a ball?   I wish!!!!!  What does a cat weight 5 pounds?  try  3 or 4  5 year old chinese kids running a mini marathon.....I dont know where they get the energy, no breaks!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:44:06 PM EDT
[#29]
2-3 years ago in my area a police officer left his MP5 in his car at night in front of his house. To my knowledge it was never recovered.

The article in the local paper complained about the cost of the weapon, $2000, but not that there was an automatic weapon out on the streets.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#30]
The cat had a cue ball or a baseball. Maybe it was a bowling ball!! The worst was when it played with it on the tiled bathroom floor at 0300. They were newlyweds and when the cat wasn't makin' a racket they were.  It was a friggin nightmare.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top