Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2001 2:10:57 PM EDT
My New Years Resolution. Hope I can quit completely this time. No more tobacco tax money from me. Are you allowed to grow your own tobacco?

My puter broke about 15 days ago and I just got it fixed. Had a nerd come over and push a couple of the right buttons and got me back on line. [and I bet you didn't even miss me].  

So, I've missed alot of whats been going on. We lose one and gain one. My condolences to BrianCavs family.

May you all have a happy and prosperous new year. My daughters are with me these holidays and I may not see them again till spring. Hope you've enjoyed the holidays with your family.

Best Wishes To You All

rainman
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#2]
rainman, i quit 4 years ago this January 4th.  cold turkey.  even though i hadn't been smoking long, i was up to a pack and some change a day.  you know you're a full-fledged smoker when you have a cigarette before your 8am class.  anyhow, it can be done.  i wish you the best of luck and support (beams support through cyberspace).

here's to better tasting food and walking up stairs without wheezing!  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Officially quit about 2 weeks ago, and fell off the wagon about 4 days ago for a couple of smokes. [:(] Dammit - I'm down to my last nerve - and if you havent started - DONT.

I truely believe that I'm ready however, just keep thinking of the money saved alone - ala new AR upper in 2 months, reloading tumbler in 1 month etc, etc....

Box full of toothpicks and a prayer should do me!
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#4]
It'll be 4 years this coming April 11, for me. I quit cold turkey after a 30 year, 3+ pack a day habit.
It can be done. Admittedly, if cigarette prices were still the $3 a carton that I paid when I first started smoking in 1968, it might be another story.

As for growing your own tobacco, why would there be any laws prohibiting it?

My brother just bought a cigarette making machine, (not a rolling machine) that uses *blanks*. I haven't seen them, but he tells me the blanks are a filter with a tube of paper attached.
From what he says, you put the blank in this machine, add bulk tobacco, and [b]presto[/b], a cigarette.
He expects to be able to "roll" a cartons worth a cigarettes (200), for about $8.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I roll my own and it is so much cheaper.  Order your stuff from the net and you don't have to pay any taxes.  I'm smoking off the same 1 lbs bag of tobacco for 2 months and half of its still left.  Of course, I smoke filterless as they taste better and only smoke between 2-4 a day.

[):)]
NSF
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
K-mart sucks
View Quote

[beer][beer][beer]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Something for the single male smokers to keep in mind.

Of the limited number of available females in the dating pool, roughly 50% of them will not date a smoker.

If you want to go though life lonely, sickly and smelling bad, keep smoking.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Something for the single male smokers to keep in mind.

Of the limited number of available females in the dating pool, roughly 50% of them will not date a smoker.

If you want to go though life lonely, sickly and smelling bad, keep smoking.
View Quote

So, the other 50% will date married smokers!!!
All-righty, then!

I'm with rainman on the no more taxes from me bandwagon...
Smoking sucks, but taxes suck even more.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
rainman, i quit 4 years ago this January 4th.  cold turkey.  even though i hadn't been smoking long, i was up to a pack and some change a day.  you know you're a full-fledged smoker when you have a cigarette before your 8am class.  anyhow, it can be done.  i wish you the best of luck and support (beams support through cyberspace).

here's to better tasting food and walking up stairs without wheezing!  [:D]
View Quote

8AM?? Shit, when I was on active duty, at 0430 in the morning before PT, we'd have a smoke, run 3-7 miles, get back, immediately bust out a pack  and light up again! [smoke]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow, I see you've got daughters, and yet you still smoke?  

Better to have them see you quit this way rather than the other:  Standing by your hospital bed everyday for a couple of years watching your chest fill up with recurrent small cell to the point they'll swear that your eyeballs are going to pop out, and then if you're lucky they get to watch you struggle to gag out your final breaths on earth.  

Good luck with your new year's resolution!
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Good luck from me, here in high-tax MI. $4.50 a pack, with all the taxes. I quit on July 1, 1990 at 2:00 am after my (late) mother-in-law told me she had lung cancer... she died on Thanksgiving day and her 50th birthday. I had been smoking since 1979.

Then I slipped and started smoking again during all of 1999. Quit at 11:59:45 on 12/31/99 because my son begged me to quit again.

God willing, I will not smoke again, but the urge is still there sometimes... best wishes....
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I smoke.
I enjoy smoking.
I will continue to smoke.
I care not what "anyone" thinks.
[smoke]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
kmart sucks
View Quote

Hahahaha!

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Better to have them see you quit this way rather than the other:  Standing by your hospital bed everyday for a couple of years watching your chest fill up with recurrent small cell to the point they'll swear that your eyeballs are going to pop out, and then if you're lucky they get to watch you struggle to gag out your final breaths on earth.  

View Quote

Dolomite,
do you chew gum ??  I detest seeing people chewing gum.  Eye pollution, ear pollution and I'm certain gum transmits Aids when stuck under tables.

Now about Cokes, Pepsi, Cola's in general.  They're great for cleaning battery acid off the cables, great for cutting road scum from the windshield.
Did you know that pouring a Coke over a couple of ounces of steak will cause the steak to disappear in a couple of days ?

Bet you eat margarine and not butter. Course polyunsaturated fats are used to induce obesity in lab mice.

How about that gas you breathe called "air"?  The chemical make-up guarantess a break-down in the bodies cells guaranteeing death

I have daughter and I smoke.
[smoke]
(Wow !  It is New Years eve so I'm not going to refer to you as a sanct........)
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
$4.50 a pack, with all the taxes.
View Quote

Wow! That is more expensive than 5.56mm ammo!

20 smokes $4.50
20 M193 $3.39

No contest.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Big_Bear:  kmart sucks
View Quote

So does Sarah Brady (But not on cigarettes anymore).
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:47:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Kmart the home of the blue light special.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:53:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Dolomite,
do you chew gum ??  I detest seeing people chewing gum.  Eye pollution, ear pollution and I'm certain gum transmits Aids when stuck under tables.

Now about Cokes, Pepsi, Cola's in general.  They're great for cleaning battery acid off the cables, great for cutting road scum from the windshield.
Did you know that pouring a Coke over a couple of ounces of steak will cause the steak to disappear in a couple of days ?

Bet you eat margarine and not butter. Course polyunsaturated fats are used to induce obesity in lab mice.

How about that gas you breathe called "air"?  The chemical make-up guarantess a break-down in the bodies cells guaranteeing death

[smoke]
(Wow !  It is New Years eve so I'm not going to refer to you as a sanct........)
View Quote

Exactly how can HIV/AIDS be contracted from
gum?HIV is'nt spread by saliva,unless there is
blood or semen in it.If saliva was a vector for
HIV it would'nt be active for long.Depending on
the amount of bodily fluid,and the titter of
the fluid(amount of virus in said substance),HIV
should be dead or weakened to the point of no
threat in about a hour at room temperature.This
is unless the got a needle stuck in the gum,then
depending on the amount of blood,titter of blood
,bore of the needle,and type of needle(i.e. a
needle that drew blood is a bigger threat than
one just used to inject)HIV can remain transfer-
able for aprox. 45 days. [shock]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Did I touch a soft-spot there 5subslr5?[xx(]  Happy New Year.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Dolomite,

[smoke]
View Quote

Exactly how can HIV/AIDS be contracted from
gum?HIV is'nt spread by saliva,unless there is
blood or semen in it.If saliva was a vector for
HIV it would'nt be active for long.Depending on
the amount of bodily fluid,and the titter of
the fluid(amount of virus in said substance),HIV
should be dead or weakened to the point of no
threat in about a hour at room temperature.This
is unless the got a needle stuck in the gum,then
depending on the amount of blood,titter of blood
,bore of the needle,and type of needle(i.e. a
needle that drew blood is a bigger threat than
one just used to inject)HIV can remain transfer-
able for aprox. 45 days. [shock]
View Quote

Thanks very much and a "Happy New Year" to you too.
(Maybe tomorrow we can discuss that "titter" of...)I'm still worried about the eye and ear pollution aspects of gum chomping.  
[smoke]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#21]
If you think about it, quitting cigs can be a blessing in diguise.  At $3/pkg, 365 days a years, you're looking at some serious buck for your loud and noisy toys.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Good luck on giving up smoking!!!!!
Save up the money and get some new toys.Best yet
got down to Walmart at the end of the day and
buy them out of .223 ammo(yep,all three boxes)
Their look is priceless,"Uh,Sir you want all 3
boxes?"

Happy new year 5subslr5!

P.S. just some friendly advise,worth what it
cost you,but I would be more worried about hepatitis than HIV. [:D]

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good luck on giving up smoking!!!!!

Happy new year 5subslr5!

P.S. just some friendly advise,worth what it
cost you,but I would be more worried about hepatitis than HIV.

View Quote

Truth be told I'm not worried about any of the crap.
I don't personally give a shit about most of what people do.
I am tired of hearing both the anti-gun and the anti-smoking crap.
For sometime now I've been almost certain that some day I'll die from something !

Happy New Year !!
[beer]
[smoke]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Best yet
got down to Walmart at the end of the day and
buy them out of .223 ammo(yep,all three boxes)
Their look is priceless,"Uh,Sir you want all 3
boxes?"

View Quote
It's even better when you tell them you need some of their .223 ammo, and when they ask "How much do you want?", reply (with a very serious tone of voice) "All of it."
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:41:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey man just do it.
Nothing worthwhile ever comes very easily.
It is d=ifficult but perseverance apayrs off.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:56:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I took my last pinch of my beloved Copenhagen Long Cut this mornin at 1 am.  Also I drank my last Mt. Dew at 5 pm yesterday.  Its good to see im not the only one tryin to kick the tobacco habit.  I figure if I can go through this yer without cope I will save roughly $1600.  I'm not sure how much I spend on cokes each year, but at the rate i consume them its a little bit more than the cope.(roughly 6 44oz cokes a day)  At the end of this new year I should be able to buy a busy with a lupy, a new T upper with lupy glass, and i should have enough left over to finish my custom savage project.  This on top of all my normal 2 or 3 gun buys a year!  To me that is one hell of an incentive to quit!  Good luck yall.  Let the cravins and shakes begin!
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 4:31:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Good luck, Texas.  I need to quit myself.  If I'm awake - I have a dip in my mouth.  Bad for my mouth - bad for my wallet.  Addictive as hell.  Again - good luck.

Tate
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 5:37:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
(roughly 6 44oz cokes a day)
View Quote

GEEZ-US MAN!
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 7:03:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
(roughly 6 44oz cokes a day)
View Quote

GEEZ-US MAN!
View Quote

No shit!

Be ready for the nicotine AND caffeine withdrawals.  Might want to go cold turkey on the tobacco, but I'll just about guarantee that you'll have some nasty headaches around the caffeine.  Consider stepping down the amount over several weeks- say, cutting back by 20% per week for five weeks.

Remember that relapse is inevitable, but you'll make it if you're really committed.

Good luck, and Happy New Year!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 7:37:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Think maybe I'll just burn bud and chew jerkey.
Not many bitching about those two items.
[smoke]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top