Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2001 8:07:11 AM EDT
Greetings, gang, and Happy New Year to all!

Are Sorel boots still made in Canada (or as I refer to it, North Wisconsin), or have Columbia moved production to China with the rest of their stuff?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Thats funny Dzi..

I live in Canada and I am SOUTH of Wisconsin ( at least most of it)

I guess I could call you Americans my Northern Neighbours!!

LOL

I hope that they are still made here!!  We Canadians need the jobs!
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I hear you, Stormbringer.  One of my wife's favorite pictures is of her standing in Canada with Detroit in the background ... to the North.

I too hope that Sorels are still Canadian production.  My old Caribous have finally expired (there's only so many times you can patch them back together) and I refuse to wear Chinese footwear.  I wouldn't mind trying som Lacrosse winter boots if Columbia has gone Chinese on the Sorels.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Try the Mil.Surp "Mickey Mouse" boots. My feet haven't gotten cold in them ever, even only with cotton socks on. They seem to last a good long time if your out on snow and ice and at least 2-3 yrs on pavement.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I could be wrong on this,  but I believe Sorel went out of bussiness or was bought out last year. Please correct me if I am wrong ( I hope I am).
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 6:04:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Slugbait:

Sorel was purchased in September 2000 from William H. Kaufman Inc. by Columbia Sportswear of Portland, OR - the outfit with the commercials featuring the guy and his mom.

My question is spurred by the fact that most (if not all) of Columbia's production is currently in China.  I am hoping that they are continuing to produce the Sorel line in Canada.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 6:33:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorel went out of business because they couldn't compete. So I doubt Columbia would continue to waste money producing in Canada. Your best bet for Canadian boots is try surplus stores and look for the maple flag sticker on the box.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Fabriqué en Chine. [puke] End of story on that one.  Verified by a visit to Galyan's over lunch today.

Any suggestions for US or Canadian-made pac boots?
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 12:34:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Well this may not be much help but I believe LL Bean claims in thier catalog the pack boots they sell are put together in Maine? One things for sure the situation sure doesn't seem to get any better on finding first rate goods. While not pack boots I believe I will have the "Russell Mocasin Company" make me some upland bird hunting boots for next season,I have heard good things about them and the price seems fair plus made in USA .
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow so much of the foot wear is being made abroad, if you want qood quality ones, you have search real hard, and when you find them, you have buy two because the next time you need another pair they won't be available.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 12:56:05 PM EDT
[#10]
You want some great warm and lightweight boots for winter get yourself a pair of Army/Air Force Mukaluks. Rubber soles, and sides made of canvas. Whool liners. Keep my feets just right no matter what the temp.

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I just looked at my LaCrosse Ice Bowls and they're made in Thailand. so, if it's just a China thang LaCrosse might be what you're looking for, but if it's Made In The USA then LL Bean might be your only option. (If they are made here.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top