Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2009 1:20:49 PM EDT
Some more Illinois patriotism

http://www.wbbm780.com/School-District-To-Ditch-Veterans-Day/3734674

CARPENTERSVILLE, Ill. (WBBM)  –– School board members in District 300 have taken away a school holiday next year claiming students don’t understand the meaning behind the day. WBBM’s suburban bureau chief Julie Mann has more from the newsroom of the Daily Herald.

Veterans Day will no longer be a day off for students in the Carpentersville’s based School District 300.

School Board members approved the school calendar for the new school year and took November 11th away from the list of school holidays and voted to seek a wavier to hold classes that day.

According to the Daily Herald, the move met with the approval of several area veterans who attending the meeting some who noted Veterans Day is an observance not a holiday.

Students in School District 300, instead of having November 11th off, will be in class and will honor veteran’s during class work that day.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:22:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuck Shitcago and their nearby emulating liberal colonies.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#2]
doesn't sound too bad, really...
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#3]
They had to make space for the new holiday: "Great Leader Day"

Guess who they'll honor.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Students in School District 300, instead of having November 11th off, will be in class and will honor veteran’s during class work that day.

Actually, they will probably learn more about the meaning behind the day this way instead of sleeping late and playing Wii or whatever.  I have to work on Veterans Day, but I always take a long lunch and go to the parade.  I think the veterans appreciate having folks to wave back at them.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#5]
School board members in District 300 have taken away a school holiday next year claiming students don’t understand the meaning behind the day.

Oh, the irony...
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
School board members in District 300 have taken away a school holiday next year claiming students don’t understand the meaning behind the day.

Oh, the irony...

+1...Lets not take the day and hold assemblies or teach about it so that they DO know...let's just say ah well they don't know sooooo o well school for you
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Oh, the irony...

The implications are too obvious for these tards.

Still, it would be just as well if the veterans came to school and gave a talk, although there are damn few left.  Plenty of sons and daughters would probably pick up the slack but it's best to have the real deal.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Oh, the irony...

+1...Lets not take the day and hold assemblies or teach about it so that they DO know...let's just say ah well they don't know sooooo o well school for you
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#10]
A lot of schools I've seen, especially colleges don't have Veterans Day off. They have M.L.K. day off though. Just sayin.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Since the kids don't know the meaning of Veteran's Day, maybe the school district should teach it to them. A sad day for all, a generation of children that don't know the meaning of Veteran's Day.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:50:33 PM EDT
[#12]
If the kids don't understand the meaning behind the day, maybe the school should, you know, TEACH it!
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:54:07 PM EDT
[#13]
On 11th day of the 11th month at the 11th hour, the guns will fall silent on the War to end all wars.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:54:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Fine. Have the class spend the day watching "Band of Brothers"
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#15]
At my high school we always had a big Veterans Day program.  All the local veterans were invited and give a gift of appreciation, usually a hat commemorating the occasion or something similar.  Those of us who were Eagle Scouts would post the flag, the band would play patriotic songs and a local service member would be invited to speak, and a reception would be held for all the vets afterwards.  It was always a good program and the veterans always seemed to appreciate it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#16]
At my high school, we weren't off for Veteran's Day. But I was in JROTC and we had a field trip to Dallas to march in the Veteran's Day parade. I was always very proud to be a part of that parade.

ETA: We also were in class for MLK day, President's day, and Columbus day. What can I say?? My school district is kinda f'd up.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#17]

CARPENTERSVILLE, Ill. (WBBM) –– School board members in District 300 have taken away a school holiday next year claiming students don’t understand the meaning behind the day

Does that mean President's day, MLK and Columbus day are canceled too?  Doesn't surprise me though, IL has little respect for the Constitution, no reason to honor those that defend it.  

How long until we can vote IL off the island?  
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

+1

Blackhawk Down too!

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 2:31:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I think it sound ok. I'd rather have the kids in school and learn something about Veterans day than at home in front of the xbox.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If the kids don't understand the meaning behind the day, maybe the school should, you know, TEACH it!

winner winner chicken dinner.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
doesn't sound too bad, really...

This.  It sounds as if they're actually going to get local veterans to come in and teach the kids about what the day means.

If that's correct, then it's a win in my book.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 3:30:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Maybe they should tell the young ones what this day represents

Man I really dont know what to say about this.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I would have loved that in school.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Distgusting.............. that is how far we have fallen.

It used to be in the Western World that one of the first things Children were taught, was the meaning of 25th of December and the 11th of November.

I was born and raised in another country, but even at 6 years old, we kids all knew why we wore that little red flower on our school uniform.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Maybe they should tell the young ones what this day represents

Man I really dont know what to say about this.

That's what they're doing.  It says they're having veterans come in to the schools to speak on Veterans Day.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Ahhhh Carpentersville........ the rancid suburban fecal hole and all around sewage repository of far west suburban Chicago. Carpentersville's demographics (look 'em up if you don't believe me) consist of recent "immigrants" who swam the Rio Grande and dumbshits too poor/stupid to move away from the invasion.

There is undoubtedly a strong anti-gringo sentiment in the action (oh boy, I'm gonna get locked for this-but I'm telling the truth and I'm on a roll). This is what happens when we don't control our borders-we lose our history and culture bit by bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top