Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2001 6:19:49 AM EDT
Anyone buy this game yet? It's a blast!!! Not your totally real type spec ops shooter, like Rogue Spear, but really cool! Great story line, and you can use some great guns in it.

Unbelievable graphics. If you get it, I hope you have a pretty fast P.C., or it'll be a rough experience.

The M4 rating....5 Stars.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:24:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I hate video games.

Mostly cuzz I suck at them.

[BD]

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:26:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll take it that this is a remake of the late 80's game, which you can download for free. Any special features that we should know about?

In your thirties and still playing video games [;)].

Picked up Max Payne and kicked it's butt too quick.

p.s. just turned thirty back in November.

edited to add that the poll doesn't have my option on it "check out the website and box before I'll buy it"
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:37:06 AM EDT
[#3]
SDavid...

The story is obviously related to the original old school Wolfenstein, but the similarities end there. Still a Nazi story based shooter/mystery.

It's an amazing game. Put it on the hardest setting before you start, and you'll be 112 before you finish it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:45:18 AM EDT
[#4]
i'd give it 3.5/5...but i'm a tough critic.

the graphics were good, but not good enough to suck the life out of one's system like it does. the graphics were pretty, but not real detailed or realistic (as realistic as a fantasy shooter can be). i applaud the creators for trying to make a good story line, but it has been pretty bland, IMO. the A.I is not bad, the guards kick grenades back at 'ya, and they hide for cover...they're not easy to kill in the "hardest" mode to boot.

given all this, it's a *fun* shooter...but that's really all i give it credit for...just a shooter. it's a decent, fun, game...but nothing revolutionary.

however, the multiplayer part of it will be an entirely different story....

have any of y'all played Ghost Recon?
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:05:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I got Max Payne,Swat 3 and Delta Force 2 for Christmas. (You got to love a wife like that)

Max Payne is a great game. Kick ass graphics, game play and story line.

But Rouge Spear is still my favorite.

i don't have Ghost Recon yet. But My birthday is 2 months away!

speaking of Christmas gifts.....[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=81523[/url]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:43:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll have to get back to you on this. I have been informed that my son is bringing his computer and a few friends over to try the multi-player mode since I have a home network. Looks like I may lose the use of my computers for most of the day.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I got Max Payne,Swat 3 and Delta Force 2 for Christmas. (You got to love a wife like that)

Max Payne is a great game. Kick ass graphics, game play and story line.

But Rouge Spear is still my favorite.

speaking of Christmas gifts.....[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=81523[/url]
View Quote

I thouroughly enjoyed Max Payne. It ranks right up there with my favorites. The Rogue Spear series was excellent, I don't have any tactical experience, but if I did, I'm sure it would have been similar to Rogue Spear ;)
I'm a pretty avid gamer (used to write a lot of reviews for magazines and online 'zines)...but here's my rundown on games for the last few years.

1.) Half Life (including Blue Shift, OppFor, Counterstrike)
2.) Ghost Recon
3.) Rainbow/Rouge Spear Series
4.) Metal Gear Solid 2
5.) No One Lives Forever

I don't think anyone can go wrong with any of those games, however, some editors within the gaming community don't care fo Ghost Recon...well, I loved it.

I hold Counterstrike LAN parties at my store every so often. I never figured hilljacks from Indiana would warm up to computer games, let along get addicted to Counterstrike.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:53:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

hmmm...shoot me an email at [email protected] and i'll hook ya up with a copy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:33:52 AM EDT
[#9]
RTCW is a pretty good single player game. You need a 500Mhz computer(faster is better)and a kickass video card.

The multi-player mode is what the game is all about. You can play on a LAN or on the Internet and both modes work really well. Fast Internet access and a fast computer will make the experience more impressive. You won't have a problem finding games on the Internet. You can have 60 players in a game and that makes for a really wild game. 20 to 30 players is more normal. I don't play a lot of computer games but I like this one. There is actually a premium put on interaction and cooperation with your team members.

Ar15 could host a game. We could have a team.

For reference: a P3 700 with 32meg TNT2 ran just fine. A P3 500 with 16 meg TNT required the latest video drivers and a little tweaking to run smoothly in multiplayer mode. My 256K internet access provides ample speed for internet play.  Dial-up might suck unless you are playing with other modem players.

[green]Edit: I tried to hook up via modem, it definitely sucks.[/green]

Note: This game made me realize that the computer I am using (P3 500) is out-dated and slow, so I had to order a new one.  [:)]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:01:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Try OPERATION FLASHPOINT: COLD WAR CRISIS

if you want some *real* training.

It ain't a shoot'em up game.

The Marines are using a special version for training.

Codemasters has announced that VBS1, a special version of the tactical shooter Operation Flashpoint, will be used in US Marine Corps training programs. VBS1 (Virtual Battlefield Systems 1) was developed by Coalescent Technologies, a regular Department of Defense contractor, and Bohemia Interactive, the PC game's original developer. While the game is set in a 1980s-era conflict in Eastern Europe, VBS1 will use modern-day equipment and vehicles, as well as specific US military uniforms.
"The USMC and other branches of the Unites States armed forces are constantly investigating new and alternative tools to incorporate into the current training regimen," said Michael Woodman, program manager at Coalescent Technologies. "Our job is to research these tools and determine if they are, in fact, useful in training. In the case of the first-person military simulation games, the research has shown that they are useful tools, and Operation Flashpoint is the most valuable product we have found to date."

View Quote

Check out [url]http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/reviews/0,10867,2810242,00.html[/url]

Like SWAT 3 and the Rainbow 6/Rogue Spear series, Operation Flashpoint features sophisticated team tactics that test your brain as much as your trigger finger. At the same time, the game's focus on realistic weaponry should please military buffs and perhaps wargamers since the game is arguably as much a realistic sim as it is a shooter. Best of all, Operation Flashpoint offers one of the most believable and immersive virtual worlds to date. While the mechanics of combat can be a letdown at times, the feeling of being in combat grips you at nearly every turn. With many diverse and entertaining missions, an interesting story, and loads of realistic weapons, Operation Flashpoint aims high and hits its mark.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:45:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Wolf is fun and the graphics are great but the multiplayer is lame unless you have a bunch of people.  Santa brought me RTCW, but I also hoped to get Ghost Recon until I played the demo.  Too slow paced for me.  I was suprised to find that RTCW runs well on my PC but Ghost Recon is very taxing.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:53:16 AM EDT
[#12]
RTCW is fun. However, I hate the frequent deaths and the respawn is entirely to long. I still love the old school deathmatch Day of Defeat Halflife Mod. DOD2 will be out soon and is gonna kick some a$$!
[uzi]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:05:11 AM EDT
[#13]
We play Half-Life on our LAN system network at work. Helps pass the time. It is a great deathmatch game. I have not heard of the lastest DOD2 yet. Where can I find info on it. Thanks, Errol
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:11:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
RTCW is fun. However, I hate the frequent deaths and the respawn is entirely to long.
View Quote

Hey Dave, get your head down. The respawn time is adjustable. Long respawn makes people a little more cautious, which is good. [b]And, that is what the medics are for![/b]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#15]
My ex-Navy buddy thinks these games are used for "operant conditioning" in the military.  That is, to break down the human being's natural tendencies against killing and torturing others.  He cites an example:  Green soldiers were far more hesitant to attack and kill in WWII than they are today--the training has been a success, in other words.  These video games are fun, yes, but they do train people to shoot first and ask questions later.  I'm not saying it is the underlying reason why kids go shoot up schools or even that it is intentional, but rather it is certainly a by-product of the design.

I've played lots of those games and have yet to murder anyone, btw.  At least killing people on a computer is preferable to doing it in real life.  I played the RTCW demo against other web players and it crashed my computer a lot.  The flame thrower was... interesting.  I'm not sure I'd let my kids play these kinds of games until they're a little older.  I saw with my own eyes a relative's kid watch a violent film and then basically try to act it out.  Parents should monitor what their kids are up to.

Ever hear the Dylan song "Clean Cut Kid"?  
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:52:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Love that game, didn't even have to run out and but it [;)]....I really love having Morpheus and a cable modem.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:26:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I hate video games.

Mostly cuzz I suck at them.
View Quote

LOL!  Me too.  I get my butt handed to me by 6 year olds.  Very damaging to the ego.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Bootlegged it.  Like it.  Not as cool as Medal of Honor Allied Assault though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:05:16 AM EDT
[#19]
It looks cool! And the best part: Its coming to the Mac! One more reason to get Mac!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I heard that Medal of Honor Allied Assault has no blood in the game so they can classify it as teen. [:(]  I will still probobly get it though just because it looks cool.  Ghost Recon is a pretty awesome game but I reccommend playing on elite just so you get to pop off more baddies.[kill] RTCW demo was cool but the zombies sucked. Just my .02
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:23:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Medal of Honor Allied Assault is gonna blow RTCW out of the water.  The multiplayer demo is sweet.  The weapons are more realistic (although they've been adjusted for balanced gameplay), reloads are realistic... the only thing that is a little lacking, is the lack of blood and gore.  I figure they'll have a patch out for that sometime after the game comes out.  All around, an awesome looking game.  Go to [url]www.mohaa.ea.com[/url] and check out the video clips under the Intelligence section and check out the video clips.  Very awesome.  If you're not impressed, get yourself checked by a doctor.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#22]
First person shooters have been out for soooooo long on PC, that its hard to make a good one anymore. I think wolfenstein fell short of be a good MODERN FPS. The graphics are cool, but after playing games like Operation flashpoint, wolfenstein is just another FPS game.
The only reason I play CS still is cause I'm sooo fucking good at it, and we all know things are fun if your good at it.
FPS games are going to have to take a 180 turn or they will die. This is coming from a person who has been playing them since quake 1.

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#24]
i want it but i dont like how its a resource hog why cant they make games more like halflife hl works great on a modem and a p2 300
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Return the Castle Wolfenstein is a blast. even more fun with the add-ons. my Elite Guards are naked running around in nothing but a sten smg. [:D] take that you Nazi ho!!

picked up a copy of the MOHAA single player demo. fun and more realistic than RtCW. i just did'nt like my own men standing in front of me while i was trying to use the '03.

the WW2 game im waiting for is Hidden & Dangerous 2. i loved the first one and the new one is just beutiful.

for a cheap "ghetto" WW2 game, Deadly Dozen is'nt too bad. kind of like Hidden & Dangerous, but the pop-up is kind of annoying.

Wolfenlib
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Most fun game I've played in years, hands down, is Grand Theft Auto on PS/2. Those who have it know what I mean!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Try a C64 emmulator site. I used to play it all the time on my C64!

Return to Castle Wolfenstein kicks ass! If you have the hardware to run it at full detail, it just looks sweet.

Same with the Medal of Honor Allied Assault demo. Crank up the details, and be amazed!

Av.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Dorks?

How could you even think such a thing?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top