Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2009 11:08:46 AM EDT
I'm trying to connect two computers (one has Vista, the other has XP pro) together at my desk to share files directly through an ethernet cable.  Can anybody give me a clue how to do this or point me towards some website which could show me how? I know more than one of you knows how to do this, lets see if any of you are on.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#1]
You need a crossover cable, or else both will be sending to each other on the same line and it'll just collide and wreck the signals.

Do you have a router for your internet or does the modem run straight to one computer? If you have a router, hook them both up to that and you should be fine...

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are not going to use a hub then you need a crossover cable.

A regular ethernet cable going from PC to PC will not work.

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Go get a cheap router with a 4 port switch built into it.  Let the router assign the IP addresses to the respecitive machines.  Set up a network share on both machines with everyone having full control permissions.  Map a network drive.  Off and running.

Much more of a pain in the ass than most non-computer people want to deal with.  Get a large USB hard drive and just transfer that way.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Or use a thumb drive  
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you are not going to use a hub then you need a crossover cable.

A regular ethernet cable going from PC to PC will not work.

Crossover ethernet cable, and you may need to play with the group policy to use a user besides guest for sharing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:13:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow, that was fast .  I could connect to the router and use that, but I'm trying to avoid drilling holes this time.  Sounds like I'll have to go get a cross over cable.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Get one of these, and all the data will just be assimilated:

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top