Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2009 9:57:55 AM EDT
Dupe?

Atlanta Woman Uses Stun Gun To Help Officer In Distress
Sunday, January 25, 2009 – updated: 12:20 pm EST January 26, 2009

LITHONIA, Ga. –– Tanisha Cross never thought the stun gun she received for Christmas would come in handy so soon.

Cross said she was headed to Wal-Mart in Lithonia with her mother when she noticed a DeKalb County police officer being attacked by a suspect.

“I just told my mom pull over, … let’s try to help,” said Cross.

The 20-year-old mother, who received the stun gun as a gift from her husband, said she kept it in a diaper bag.

ASHLEY HAYES: Atlanta Woman Uses Taser Gun To Help Officer In Distress

Cross said while others gathered to watch, she sprung into action.

"I went straight for my kid’s diaper bag and I got it and asked it if he [officer] wanted me to do it and he said, 'Yea,'" said Cross.

Cross said the officer had a hard time defending himself because the attacker had taken the officer's radio and managed to rub pepper spray in the officer's face and eyes.

Jolting the attacker, Cross' timing couldn't have been better. Cross said she tasered the suspect in his arms and legs.

Cross said she stunned the attacker to where the officer regained his composure and fought back until a security guard came to their aid.

"He’s brave," she said. "He did his best to keep him from his gun. He handled the situation very well. I was just glad I could help him," said Cross.

Cross doesn’t consider herself a hero.

"I’m just a bystander trying to help do the right thing," said Cross.

Great how the others stood around and watched...
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Good shoot, er, taze I mean.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

+1

I've always wondered what would happen if I had to step-in with my CCW and help a cop being assaulted. Probably shoot me and my dog...
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Good stun drive
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Shocking !
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#6]
My wife wants one after I told her this story.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:26:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Great composure...the way she approached...ID herself....and made sure the officer knew she wasn't a threat.

Good for her!

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#9]
That's kick ass.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Good for her! I hope she get's some official recognition.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always wondered what would happen if I had to step-in with my CCW and help a cop being assaulted. Probably shoot me and my dog...

The first part had me thinking pretty highly of you....that you would even consider getting involved.

Then you ruined it.

VJ

Lighten-up Francis! It was a joke...

Why wouldn't someone step-up and help? I sure couldn't just stand there and watch. The indifference of some people amazes me...

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Many of us think the "cop shoots dog" joke got old after the first 10,000 applications.  

That's funny... cause I think that the instances of cops shooting dogs got old after the first 10,000 applications. See my avatar for how I plan to protect my dog...

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The first part had me thinking pretty highly of you....that you would even consider getting involved.

Then you ruined it.

VJ

Why wouldn't someone step-up and help? I sure couldn't just stand there and watch. The indifference of some people amazes me...

There have been a few articles here where a non-LEO got jacked up for/after intervening.

It's not always indifference.

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#18]
She should have tazered his face!

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Shocking !

Beat me to it.

Quoted:
She should have tazered his face!

This is what i thought at first
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#20]
So how effective are stun guns?  Compared to tasers?
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Would I have been wrong to pull my sidearm and eng this turds life to save the cop, or should i have just beaten the shit out of the guy.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Anyone who isn't willing to help a cop (the same one that will come running to help you if you call) is a retard IMO.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#23]
What she did was commendable.  But there is always some dumbass in the comment section.

The woman should be arrested and tried in court for battery (along with a myriad of other potential charges). Tanisha Cross is not a hero - she is a criminal. The police are specially trained to handle combative persons. This woman had no apparent special training or authority. If the person she electrocuted had a heart condition, pacemaker, etc. she would have killed them and she would be in jail. Moreover, it is reckless and ignorant to insert yourself into a skirmish between a police officer and a private citizen. (For those posters who are lauding Cross' interfering actions ... please try this in your own community and then tell us how many assault, battery, etc. charges are filed against you.) There is a reason Batman isn't universally loved, adored and treated as a hero. Vigilante justice isn't tolerated or acceptable. Judging by the comments posted here ... it is scary that private citizens believe they can assume police duties. Private citizens are not afforded the same protections as police officers serving in their law enforcement capacity. Moreover, a police officer disabled with pepper spray cannot competently provide liability shielding consent to a random private citizen who happens upon the skirmish. It is most likely that this woman just wanted to use her potentially lethal weapon on an unsuspecting person. Instead of praising Cross ... the police should confiscate her weapon. On a separate note it is childish to spew unfounded insults at attorneys. Blogger CTR said "ambulance chasing low life" in talking about any attorney who would represent the tased man. However, attorneys only make money if and when the American public chooses to hire an attorney. When something catastrophic happens to you ... I hope the attorney you call says he is too busy chasing an ambulance. The problem isn't with lawyers ... it is with the sue happy American public. Don’t hurl silly insults … ask your Senator for tort reform.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you ruined it.

VJ

Many of us think the "cop shoots dog" joke got old after the first 10,000 applications.  

Old indeed
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:04:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There have been a few articles here where a non-LEO got jacked up for/after intervening.

It's not always indifference.

I know. Hence my original stab at humor. Some cops don't like lowly citizens treading on their "turf" to protect and serve. Even when it's to help the cops...
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:13:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Anyone who isn't is willing to help a cop (the same one that will come running to help you if you call kick your front door in) is a retard IMO.

There I fixed it for you............I kidd I kidd
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:14:25 PM EDT
[#28]
DON'T TAZE ME SIS!!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

We've had threads asking exactly this question.  "Our" LEOs were unanimimous in saying they would be VERY grateful for citizen assistance.  Perhaps you could take your sense of humor to the forums where the asshole LEOs hang out––they might appreciate it.

TBK... is that an order or a "suggestion"?  Cause I'd hate for my stab at humor to ruin the 100% factual/useful/meaningful information exchange that is GD.  

ETA: Notice how I used the word "some" and not "all" or even "some cops here on this site". As the poster whose post I was responding to stated, there have been a few stories where a citizen who tried to help an LEO was not treated as any kind of "hero".

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#30]
[douche] don't taze me ho[/douche]

hahahahahaha

TXL
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would I have been wrong to pull my sidearm and eng this turds life to save the cop, or should i have just beaten the shit out of the guy.

Good question,  I wonder this myself.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Now I'll sit back and wait for the "you chose this job..." nonsense.

You're not hearing me. You quoted a post of mine where I said "WHY wouldn't someone step-in and help out". I meant that! I wouldn't even have to think about it for a second. And I hope to God that I wouldn't get hassled be some asshat in LE for it. But I'd do it just the same. Because I respect the job that MOST of you guys do! But there are always a few asshats who are bad apples. And that's the same in the civi sector as well.

Nevertheless... the FACT that it's even occured ONCE, where a citizen helped an LEO out of a tough spot and was chastized for it may not give me pause to jump in a help. But it sure gives me pause as to whether there'll be a smackdown coming afterwards.

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Glad someone stepped in and helped. The artical mentioned a crowd gathering what the hell is wrong with people lets stand around and see if someone gets shot and dont help or anything sad a woman had to step up while i am sure some "men" just looked on.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Glad someone stepped in and helped. The artical mentioned a crowd gathering what the hell is wrong with people lets stand around and see if someone gets shot and dont help or anything sad a woman had to step up while i am sure some "men" just looked on.

I suspect that some of the "men" were previously jailed perps and wanted to see a cop get it ass handed to him.

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#39]

Good tasing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Crap, I reworded that post three times trying to get it to come across as intended.  

I was not trying to be nasty or mean.  I only meant the LEOs which frequent this site are "gun guys" first who happen to work as cops in real life.  They come here to get away from the BS on the streets.  They are gun guys, which means they are US.  They get sick of the hatred (see the post a little above) for cops, but here of all places they should not have to put up with it.  My suggestion was to take the hatred to the assholes––wherever they hang out––cuz they ain't here.  

Roger that. And honestly, they'll get no "hate" from me. Only BAD cops get hate from me. Unfortunately, we've had more than a few LE-related threads here where it seemed that some good cops were defending OBVSIOUSLY bad ones. And I will admit that I REALLY HATE bad cops. As much or more than I hate bad civies. Cause us civies TRUST cops to be the "good guys". Where much [trust] is given, much is expected.

I know that I'm not the only one here who feels this way. A LOT of people feel this way. So I know that an officer can't control what other officers do. They bear no accountability for that. But they can sure condemn the acts of some bad LEO's. And in many cases, we hear "let's wait for all the facts to come in" and outright defense of the bad cop's actions. Whereas I don't notice the same "protection" of obvious civy perps going-on.

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I should have made that part more clear....I wasn't referencing you, in particular for the nonsense to start.  Your comment was made in jest, I know...but it rubbed a raw nerve and got me started.

So, let's say there were five incidences where someone got rousted after helping.... out of 800,000 cops in the USA...what is that percentage?

You're right, it's a pretty small percentage. But it should be zero nonetheless. If I stick my neck-out to help an officer, there should be NO chance that I'll live to regret it. Should be the same if I stick my neck out to help a regular citizen as well. And unfortunately, lawyers tend to come along and cause problems in some of those cases as well.

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:56:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 1:06:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
oh believe me, I agree on the ZERO.

Just like I think our military should be full of upstanding citizens...sadly, they're reflective of our society, as well, and some bad apples get in.

As for "waiting till the facts come in", I don't have a good reply to that....other than to say we live our lives being judged by the media and the masses without the ability to call up Channel 3 and say, "bullshit, that isn't how it happened".... we have to eat what they peddle, as our agencies don't allow us the free speech to defend ourselves.

VJ

That's a good point and one I hadn't considered before. Consider it noted (because I've seen it myself as well) and will certainly affect how I view future stories.

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I should have made that part more clear....I wasn't referencing you, in particular for the nonsense to start.  Your comment was made in jest, I know...but it rubbed a raw nerve and got me started.

So, let's say there were five incidences where someone got rousted after helping.... out of 800,000 cops in the USA...what is that percentage?

You're right, it's a pretty small percentage. But it should be zero nonetheless. If I stick my neck-out to help an officer, there should be NO chance that I'll live to regret it. Should be the same if I stick my neck out to help a regular citizen as well. And unfortunately, lawyers tend to come along and cause problems in some of those cases as well.

I'd jump in to help an officer, I wouldn't hesitate or think twice.

I'm willing to deal with whatever consequences, if any, later.
Nice to know there are others that would do the same. Lawyers be damned.

Chicky did a damn good job.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 1:52:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What she did was commendable.  But there is always some dumbass in the comment section.

The woman should be arrested and tried in court for battery (along with a myriad of other potential charges). Tanisha Cross is not a hero - she is a criminal. The police are specially trained to handle combative persons. This woman had no apparent special training or authority. If the person she electrocuted had a heart condition, pacemaker, etc. she would have killed them and she would be in jail. Moreover, it is reckless and ignorant to insert yourself into a skirmish between a police officer and a private citizen. (For those posters who are lauding Cross' interfering actions ... please try this in your own community and then tell us how many assault, battery, etc. charges are filed against you.) There is a reason Batman isn't universally loved, adored and treated as a hero. Vigilante justice isn't tolerated or acceptable. Judging by the comments posted here ... it is scary that private citizens believe they can assume police duties. Private citizens are not afforded the same protections as police officers serving in their law enforcement capacity. Moreover, a police officer disabled with pepper spray cannot competently provide liability shielding consent to a random private citizen who happens upon the skirmish. It is most likely that this woman just wanted to use her potentially lethal weapon on an unsuspecting person. Instead of praising Cross ... the police should confiscate her weapon. On a separate note it is childish to spew unfounded insults at attorneys. Blogger CTR said "ambulance chasing low life" in talking about any attorney who would represent the tased man. However, attorneys only make money if and when the American public chooses to hire an attorney. When something catastrophic happens to you ... I hope the attorney you call says he is too busy chasing an ambulance. The problem isn't with lawyers ... it is with the sue happy American public. Don’t hurl silly insults … ask your Senator for tort reform.

What.... The .... Fuck.... Over!!! I almost can't believe someone actually thinks that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top