Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2001 7:39:46 PM EDT
Recieved help reloading my hard drive with 98se here.Now I need help with my sound card.When I used the C partition last time what I did worked.ESS solo1 chip on the card so I went to there web site and downloaded drivers.They dont make the card just the chip.It was too big for a floppy so I burned it on a CD.Went to the device manager and found a unknown pci sound device,I believe it said.Reinstalled drivers specifying CD ROM drive.It worked.now it loads the drivers about 20% and keeps telling me to insert the CD ROM win98se disc.I do but it still cant find several files[about 6].I opened the cd I burned and ran the setup and get the same thing after it loads 20%.I also went to the Everex site and downloadedthe driver for the sound card but when I click have disk it tells me there is no info for my device.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I would remove the sound card from the setup, shut down, pull the card, reboot, shut down, reinstall card, reboot and follow the instructions when 98 finds the new device.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll give it a shot.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:42:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Dude, you shoulda gotta Dell...
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:07:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Imbroglio,thanks it worked.I have to remember the windows rule.Reboot,reboot,reboot.that and starting over.Now the NIC card and I hope it doesn't go into the crapper agian.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#6]
The reason you're having problems with the system asking for you to repeatedly insert the Windows CD is you initially installed Windows off the CD.  Instead you should've installed it from the hard drive.

After FDISKing and FORMATing, I make a folder on C: called "Win98.cd" and copy all the .cab files from the CD (x:\win98\) into it. (x: = CD-ROM) Then you run "setup.exe" from C:\Win98.cd.

But you can fix this.  First, create the folder on C: and copy the files from x:\win98\ into it.  Then with Regedit, find the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

Look for "Source Path" under Name, and under Data you'll see the location where you installed Windows from on your CD - x:\win98\.  Right_click "Source Path" select Modify and enter the new location of the .cab files - C:\Win98.cd.  Now, whenever Windoze needs to update something it will just pluck it off the hard drive instead of nagging you for the CD.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The reason you're having problems with the system asking for you to repeatedly insert the Windows CD is you initially installed Windows off the CD.  Instead you should've installed it from the hard drive.

After FDISKing and FORMATing, I make a folder on C: called "Win98.cd" and copy all the .cab files from the CD (x:\win98\) into it. (x: = CD-ROM) Then you run "setup.exe" from C:\Win98.cd.

But you can fix this.  First, create the folder on C: and copy the files from x:\win98\ into it.  Then with Regedit, find the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

Look for "Source Path" under Name, and under Data you'll see the location where you installed Windows from on your CD - x:\win98\.  Right_click "Source Path" select Modify and enter the new location of the .cab files - C:\Win98.cd.  Now, whenever Windoze needs to update something it will just pluck it off the hard drive instead of nagging you for the CD.
View Quote

this is a great idea, why didnt i think about it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top