Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2009 12:00:04 PM EDT
The wife and I walk our two GSDs in a rural area. A few years ago there was a fire and the forest service has closed off a lot of the land and trails to motor vehicles. Where ever there is a white sign taped to a tree you cannot drive past.

Well we usually walk our dogs on the same trail. There is one of those white signs, which means it's closed to motor vehicles. You are not supposed to drive past the sign.  Well the sign is posted VERY close to the road and there is no room to park. So we always drive 10'-15' past the sign and park.

So the wife is returning to my jeep from the dog walk and there is a forest ranger parked behind her. She is carrying her (my) AR15 w/ blue cav arms furniture.  She loads up the dogs and then talks to the forest ranger. The ranger says we cannot drive past the sign and we need to move immediately...  again she is 15' MAX past the sign.

The forest ranger did not say anything about her rifle, gets back in his SUV (tahoe), and backs up. WHOOPS, he runs over a stump and high centers on his rear differential!! Boy how his attitude changed when he had to get back out and ask my wife for a tow strap and her help to pull him out!

Afterwards he said he felt stupid and it was now OK to park where we have been

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Owned must mean embarressed.  Or something.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#2]
He shouldn't have driven past the white sign.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#4]
There closing shit around here so fast it is scary, Very few places left to go of road.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd have left him alone to ponder his situation. Has to be nice for help is different than just being a nice guy.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd have left him alone to ponder his situation. Has to be nice for help is different than just being a nice guy.

personally if I spent alot of time on the land that he patrols I wouldn't burn that bridge. That said next time we meet if he has the same shitty attitude after I helped him I would burn that bridge to the motherf*cking ground.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 1:52:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Off roading destroys the land.  As a partial owner in these public lands, I wouldn't have a problem with it being banned.  If you need to drive up and down and around hills, go to the nearest land fill and have a good day.  Simply owning a vehicle that can rut and detroy the terrain doesn't mean you ought to have a right to do so.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#8]
That's a good story.

I have a similiar one. My wife one time got pulled over. After a good while the trooper came to her window he asked her "Ma'am do you think you drive my car while I give it a push" he had pulled to far over on the shoulder and had slid partially into the ditch. She got out and got behind the wheel of the police car, she gunned the gas when he told her too and covered the trooper in mud. They eventually got the squad car out of the ditch. She didn't get a ticket.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Two heartwarming stories.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Off roading destroys the land.  As a partial owner in these public lands, I wouldn't have a problem with it being banned.  If you need to drive up and down and around hills, go to the nearest land fill and have a good day.  Simply owning a vehicle that can rut and detroy the terrain doesn't mean you ought to have a right to do so.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#11]
She was willing to help someone who was doing their job.

Good for her, and good for the forest ranger.

I don't see how anyone got owned anywhere.  Embarassed, sure...

If a cop gave me a ticket, and as I was pulling away he was struck by a vehicle, I'd still do everything in my power to help.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no problem with areas set aside for offroading. It's the assholes that decide to go trailblazing that wreck it.

They had to close a local area entirely for years to let it come back, and where ever all the tracks "congregated" there always seemed to be a massive pile of garbage.

Honestly, as a hiker there's nothing more obnoxious than some histrionic asswipe with no muffler roaring through where he/she is not supposed to be and scaring off the wildlife / wrecking the peace and quiet.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's a good story.

I have a similiar one. My wife one time got pulled over. After a good while the trooper came to her window he asked her "Ma'am do you think you drive my car while I give it a push" he had pulled to far over on the shoulder and had slid partially into the ditch. She got out and got behind the wheel of the police car, she gunned the gas when he told her too and covered the trooper in mud. They eventually got the squad car out of the ditch. She didn't get a ticket.

Poetic justice?

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Question:    Can we ban the words "owned" or "pwned" on arfcom unless you can prove your in the 8th grade????
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Question:    Can we ban the words "owned" or "pwned" on arfcom unless you can prove your in the 8th grade????

Don't you mean "you're"?

Sorry, you walked right into it...
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

listen bub, offroading doesn't destroy the land any more than clearcutting to make campground, and if you ask, most offroaders consider themselves conservationists. We do our best to pick up after slobs and usualy pack more out than we pack in, please don't lump offroaders in with the redneck trash that tears up our wilderness and county roads every time it rains. It is akin to lumping all gun owners in with white supremacist militias.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Her helping him changed his attitude to a proper one.

Your attitude would have left him being a dick next time he saw ya.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't you mean "you're"?

OH PWNED!
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

listen bub, offroading doesn't destroy the land any more than clearcutting to make campground, and if you ask, most offroaders consider themselves conservationists. We do our best to pick up after slobs and usualy pack more out than we pack in, please don't lump offroaders in with the redneck trash that tears up our wilderness and county roads every time it rains. It is akin to lumping all gun owners in with white supremacist militias.

Well said

(though I do note there is an unusually high proportion of idiots on OHVs, but it aint all of em)
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
She was willing to help someone who was doing their job.

Good for her, and good for the forest ranger.

I don't see how anyone got owned anywhere.  Embarassed, sure...

If a cop gave me a ticket, and as I was pulling away he was struck by a vehicle, I'd still do everything in my power to help.

This
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't you mean "you're"?

OH PWNED!

Ya got me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Damn straight! I have seen what were once world class single track trails turn into double track roads. There have even been attempts to drive full size vehicles down narrow canyons and stream beds.
What the hell gives anyone the right to destroy pristine trails just so they can haul their cooler and fat butts to the top of the ridge lines and then leave a mess for others to have to deal with? I know not all ATV riders are this irresponsible, but in the Southern Idaho area, THEY ARE SURE IN THE MAJORITY. I hope they realize that they are causing a rift among trail users that will end up with all of us locked out of our own land through restrictions on use or wilderness designation. (The latter is already being pushed by one of our critters in Washington, see Owyhee Canyonland wilderness bill.)

Mikey
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Start taking a camera on your hike as this would have been a good photo journal to share with the rest of us.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't you mean "you're"?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top