Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2009 7:33:12 AM EDT
TH 250 auto transmission in an 81 Camaro. I needed to change the modulator so I thought I'd go ahead and change the rear seal while I was down there. The guy talked me into buying the bushing behind it also. Trans is still in car.

I slipped with the screwdriver and put a gash in the bushing. Oh well, I have a new one. How in the world do I get that thing out? I need this car back together today.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:45:55 AM EDT
[#1]
With a press and the proper press tool.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#2]
did you pull the extension housing off the trans or are you trying to do it with it still on? When I rebuilt transmissions, I used a bushing cutter which is kind of like a small chisel with a small u-shaped edge on it, but a screwdriver could work. You really need the housing off though. And a bushing installer to help keep the new bushing from collapsing or tightening up too much when you install it.

ETA: If you take the housing off, there is a gasket that you will have to replace. Auto parts stores usually have it. And if you are able to get the new bushing in, before you put the new seal on, fit the driveshaft yoke through the bushing to make sure it isn't too tight. Much easier than finding out when you have a new seal on it that your trying not to damage.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
With a press and the proper press tool.

You remove the tail housing and do as above. I suggest finding a trans shop that is setup for the work and just take your housing in. If they are able it won't take but a min or two.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Your in tough shape w/o the right tools doing that but it can be done. I would recommend removing the tailshaft housing so that you can work on it on a bench. check w/your local checker schucks kragen orielys or napa many offer loaner tools, ask for a bushing/bearing driver /installer. It's a pretty straight forward job with the right tool. if you can't find the tool you may be able to improvise a remover installer with a piece of pipe or something of the same diameter as the bushing.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 8:07:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
And a bushing installer to help keep the new bushing from collapsing or tightening up too much when you install it.

You have a link to what this tool looks like?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top