Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2001 3:41:31 PM EDT
I have been helping install a network since yesterday and we can't get the damn thing to work.

Here is what we are using:

d-link dfe-904 hub
d-link dfe-530tx+ nics
cat 5 cable

computer 1
p3 633
nic is on irq9 sharing
with soundblaster
There are no free irqs on this
machine.

computer 2
p3 233
nic on irq10 (supports busmastering)

Both running
Win98 osr2
ipx/spx
netbui
tcp/ip
file/printer sharing
Zonealarm, local security set at low, ips of the computers entered under advanced properties.

All of the instructions from d-link were followed but the best I was able to get it to do last night was get the computers to recognize each other under network neighborhood. Directories from neither computer would display, just the comp name and blank. There is a long lag time on the p3 when click on on the other comp name in explorer also.

Today we tried moving the nic in the p3 to another slot to try to get a free irq but that didn't work. Everything is back to the way it was before (irq9) only now neither comp acknowledges each other.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi Imbroglio,

Why so many protocols? ipx/spx- You trying to connect to a Netware server?, tcp/ip- you trying to share a net connection? and netbui- should work alone if you just want to share files between PC's.

You have any disks or dirs shared? If not that is why you cannot see them in NN.

If you are seeing your PC's in NN then your NIC's are configured properly. Share something if you want to access it from the other pc.

And dump some of that overhead.

-
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have anything shared on either computer?  

Did you NOT use any crossover cables (since you are oging thru a hub?)

Protocols - unless you are rounting Internet traffic between the two, all you really need is NetBUI and file/print sharing enables.  IPX/SPX is for Novell, and TCP/IP is only really useful with Internet traffic...

Rereading your post, since you are hitting each computer but unable to see anything in there, check your drives/folders for "sharing" first.  Right clock on the folder or drive icon, and select the "sharing" tab.  Set preferences and permissions as you see fit...

FFZ
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#3]
If you can see the computer names under network neighborhood then it is working. You need to share the drives or printer before they will show up. Do yourself a favor and put a password on the drive shares if you are going to have your system connected to the internet. This will prevent worms like nimda from infecting your systems.

Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a D-Link hub and nics. I have "netbios support for ipx/spx" enabled but I don't remember why. I guess you have your computer IDs set with the same workgroup and all that?

Too bad I set mine up so long ago that I can't remember what I did. [:\]

I'd be glad to try to help if you have questions about settings and such. At least my network "WORKS".
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Wooo hoo! The sharing thing wasn't mentioned in the instructions and it works now! Thanks y'all.

Another wierd thing that happened is since I moved the nic to pci slot 1 the computer now does an auto power off at shut down, which never worked before.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Might wanna opt for a switch or a router.

NeBEUI sucks btw.

I'm CCNA Cirtified :-)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top