Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2001 8:40:50 AM EDT
I partitoned my harddrive into C,D,and E.Set the partitions active.I rebooted with out CD-ROM support and formatted each drive.Rebooted agian with CD-rom support.Typed setup at the A: promt and also changed it to G:.It will get to the installation wizard load that up to 100% and then give me a su0013 error telling me I have no dos partitions.It worked earlier that day.But I had a bad crash when I deleted something installing a NIC.I removed the NIC incase it was the problem.Please help me ive run out of cuss words.What did I do diffrent the first time that made it work?I did this about a month ago and it did the same thing.It never did work.I ended up making one big C:.Thats not what I want though.

THANKS
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:47:32 AM EDT
[#2]
You did not say what operating system you were installing so I'm going to assume it is win9x.

when you set the partions active you can only have one active per hard drive make sure it is the first partion.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:49:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#5]
98se.So if I make the extended dos partition active Im making the primary inactive?Is that why everything is loaded by default to C: on windows?
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok I made the primary active Ill see if that works.i cant believe I didnt see the A jumping to the extended.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#7]
It worked thank you.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You did not say what operating system you were installing so I'm going to assume it is win9x.

when you set the partions active you can only have one active per hard drive make sure it is the first partion.
View Quote

Good point but fdisk will generally only allow for one active partion anyway.
View Quote

That's why I made that point if he set each partion active in order then his third partion would have been active. and since under a win9x install the boot files are placed only on the first partion he would get that msg.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It worked thank you.
View Quote

Glad  it worked for you. besides I'm just killing time on the forums while rebuilding 10 Novell file servers, so being able to help means i'm was not wasting all my time.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:25:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Renegade...
Ain't novell a wonderful critter [:D]

mike[/quote]

I like it and the company, I work for a DOD school system and Novell sold us under thier Educational program 8400 user lic. for $7800.00 MSRP for that many is a little over $ 1.5 million. Mickysoft hardy comes close in supporting schools as well. The only problem I have and the reason for the weekend work is when I set up the servers orignally I did not partion the dos or sys volumes large enough for the netware 6.0 upgrade.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
98se.
View Quote

Once you get Win98SE up and running, here's a couple of registry hacks that greatly improve things -

http://[url]http://www.mindspring.com/~steel_rat/Registry/[/url]

Remember how Win95 used to create columns of Programs from the Start Menu? For some reason Win98 makes you scroll up and down instead. I hate that. But "menuscroll.reg" will fix it.

The other one - "maxcashe.reg" - creates 3 more levels of system and disk cashe that will speed up your system dramatically!!! (If you don't like it, you can always change the setting back under My Computer/Properties/Performance/File System.)

If you're worried what's in these, they're just text files so open them with Notepad and you can see what I'm doing. Double-clicking will add them to your registry.  You may have to right-click on them and select "Save target as..." to save them on your disk.

Also, it sounds like you had to go through the usual hoops in order get CD-ROM support.  Here's a Win98SE bootdisk I put together that will autodetect your CD-ROM drive as R:

http://[url]http://www.mindspring.com/~steel_rat/win98se_boot.exe[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top